• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

I don't know why the Spurs took Kennedy Chandler when Tre Jones looked good at the end of the season. The front office seems to key in on certain types of players and keep drafting them over and over again. Seems like they just drafted Vassell, Walker, and Jones over again.

LOL. Traded to Memphis. Memphis was one player away and they'd acquired like 20 dudes tonight.

Traded to Memphis for cash and a future 2nd rounder. Seems like cash in these deals should go toward the salary cap, not into the owner's pocket.

Hard to be optimistic about this draft for the Spurs.

The Cavs took Evan Mobley's brother. That's cool.

I like the Cavs pick too.

Can't see anything positive about the Hornets moves. Minott will not be as good a Alondez in the G League ... ever.

Dereon Seabron signed with the Pelicans.

I guess the Spurs figured out they should get some bigs so they signed an Overtime Elite wing and a 7-2 Filipino who played in the NBL (Australia).

Last edited:
I didn't even consider Branham going to the Spurs. I'd rather them get another versatile forward than another guard, but he looks like a good player.

Think you’ll like him. The knock from my dad (season OSU ticket holder) is shot selection and awareness. Spurs should easily be able to coach that up. Felt like a player that needed a solid franchise to make it and they found one.

Memphis is drafting a lot of dudes for a franchise that's arguably one player away.

Townie, you like the Sixers getting DeAnthony Melton?

Good value. I like dumping Green and his $10m when he might not play much next season for a younger and cheaper guy. Melton’s numbers aren’t great but another guy who can dribble is always welcome for me.

Looking forward to the 2&2 mental decathlon we’re about to get to turn this draft into upside

Wesley looked good at Wake. I agree with that. My problem is that the Spurs seem to be chasing some archetype. I went back and looked at predraft scouting reports for past Spurs picks Quinndary Weatherspoon and Lonnie Walker. Both share similarities with Wesley. 6-3/6-4 athletic combo guard who shows promise as a three-level scorer and has defensive upside but struggle with inconsistency. The same is close for Keldon, Vassell, Primo, and Branham. Promising 6-6 scorers with good but not great athleticism who should be plus defenders.

The big problem is the Spurs now have seven guards they’ve drafted under contract, 6 of them first rounders, 5 from the last four drafts. That doesn’t include Josh Richardson and Romeo Langford or last years 2nd on a two-way. They have Dejounte and a glut of guards with potential who need playing time. But they just went and got two more. I hoped they’d take a versatile big at 9 then trade up to get another big in the teens and trade out of the draft from there.

Apparently the Spurs were going with Laravia, but Memphis traded up to grab him.

What doesn't make sense to me is that every trade made by all of the teams behind the Hornets got a better return for the trade than the Hornets did (with a worse draft pick than Hornets had used). Clearly ineptitude in the Hornets front office. Not sure if this comes from the top (MJ) or if Kupchack is really that bad at his job.

i only see one trade this applies too and the grizzlies indeed did overpay because they had to get in front of the spurs to draft laravia. they moved up 3 spots from 22 to 19 and threw in 29 in this years draft. that is indeed an overpay and not a good trade from the grizz imo (i would even say a worse trade than the one the hornets made). seems like the twolves knew they had them in a spot

this is basically exactly how i feel about the hornets move from kevin pelton:

Charlotte Hornets: C+

The return for Charlotte here doesn't look great. The Hornets both move their first-round pick back a year and presumably move down in the draft to where the Denver pick will fall as compared to this year's 13th selection. None of the four second-round picks Charlotte also got from New York seem likely to make up that value. The Knicks' own picks are most likely to fall in the top half of the round but still unlikely to be much higher than 40th.

On the plus side, the Hornets were still able to get the center they presumably wanted all along (Duke's Mark Williams) with the 15th pick. Additionally, shedding the 13th pick does save a bit of money for Charlotte to match a potential offer sheet (possibly from Detroit) for Bridges. Retaining Bridges is probably more important to the Hornets' future than maximizing this pick.

Right. The Hornets' draft target this year was Mark Williams, who they got. Moving #13 this year allows them to do two things. First, they don't have that additional first round rookie contract on the cap this year, which allows them to match Bridges. Second, as I said on here a few weeks ago, the way the NBA cap year works they couldn't use a pick from this year in a sign and trade deal to move Hayward because FA isn't until after the draft. Now they can use that future pick to hopefully move with Hayward for Ayton or Myles Turner or someone else. If they don't, they didn't previously have a first round pick next year because of the Kai Jones trade, so this gives them one to get back on a normal pick timeline if needed. So they got their guy and some more flexibility to both sign Bridges and potentially move Hayward or have a first next year.

So it isn't the sexiest of deals but generally works for what they needed to do. I'm more worried about the coaching situation, where rumors are that Steve Clifford may be coming back. That dude blows especially with younger players, I'd rather they grovel to Borrego to come back than rehire Clifford. Hell, make Lavar Ball the coach instead of Clifford if you want LaMelo to stay.

Wesley looked good at Wake. I agree with that. My problem is that the Spurs seem to be chasing some archetype. I went back and looked at predraft scouting reports for past Spurs picks Quinndary Weatherspoon and Lonnie Walker. Both share similarities with Wesley. 6-3/6-4 athletic combo guard who shows promise as a three-level scorer and has defensive upside but struggle with inconsistency. The same is close for Keldon, Vassell, Primo, and Branham. Promising 6-6 scorers with good but not great athleticism who should be plus defenders.

The big problem is the Spurs now have seven guards they’ve drafted under contract, 6 of them first rounders, 5 from the last four drafts. That doesn’t include Josh Richardson and Romeo Langford or last years 2nd on a two-way. They have Dejounte and a glut of guards with potential who need playing time. But they just went and got two more. I hoped they’d take a versatile big at 9 then trade up to get another big in the teens and trade out of the draft from there.

Agree.

Lonnie is gone soon? Even though ESPN listed him as a key core guy.

Sochan reminds me of Shane Battier, just a tad taller at 6'9.

Malaki could be a steal at 6'5. Those numbers in the second half of the season - the heart of Big 10 schedule looked very impressive.

Wesley is good and can play PG at 6'4.

I know Sochan and Wesley, in theory, will help their defense.

*Can they sign Bobby Portis?* or is he not the locker room fit? Seems like a no-brainer and quickly helps a lot.

Another thing - Suns are like meh, who cares about the draft, whereas, these teams moved guys, traded and ended up with this many new players last night:

Memphis - 4
Minnesota - 3
Milwaukee - 3
Denver - 3
Houston - 3
Spurs - 3

Walker is gone. He's got to be. But there was no need to replace Walker. His role wasn't that important, he wasn't that good, and his archetype wouldn't be that great on this roster.

The Spurs already have a guard/small wing core of Murray, Johnson, Vassell, and Primo. That's a 4 man rotation right there. Tre Jones showed promise as backup PG. They also have Richardson and Langford. That's 8 players for 3 spots without even counting 3 of the last 4 players the franchise picked (Wieskamp, Branham, Wesley). So now that's 11 players for 3 spots.

And I didn't even mention that McDermott is a true SF.

Now I understand that the Spurs need better core 1-3 players than those 4, but drafting more 19 year olds seems like the wrong way to do it. I'd much rather them draft young bigs and big wings, hold on to cap space, and make a move for a wing playmaker this offseason or next.

By comparison, the Spurs only had one legit big who we can feel confident has an NBA future in Poeltl. One for two positions. Then there are dudes like Landale, Collins, and Bates-Diop. So they added Sochan. Best case that's 5 guys for 2 spots.

Right. The Hornets' draft target this year was Mark Williams, who they got. Moving #13 this year allows them to do two things. First, they don't have that additional first round rookie contract on the cap this year, which allows them to match Bridges. Second, as I said on here a few weeks ago, the way the NBA cap year works they couldn't use a pick from this year in a sign and trade deal to move Hayward because FA isn't until after the draft. Now they can use that future pick to hopefully move with Hayward for Ayton or Myles Turner or someone else. If they don't, they didn't previously have a first round pick next year because of the Kai Jones trade, so this gives them one to get back on a normal pick timeline if needed. So they got their guy and some more flexibility to both sign Bridges and potentially move Hayward or have a first next year.

So it isn't the sexiest of deals but generally works for what they needed to do. I'm more worried about the coaching situation, where rumors are that Steve Clifford may be coming back. That dude blows especially with younger players, I'd rather they grovel to Borrego to come back than rehire Clifford. Hell, make Lavar Ball the coach instead of Clifford if you want LaMelo to stay.

there's no justifying that trade

it's the dumbest trade i've ever seen

there's no justifying that trade

it's the dumbest trade i've ever seen

You're saying that about a franchise that literally traded away Kobe Bryant. This trade was fine. They don't need more developmental guys, they don't have room to play the ones they already have.

I don’t understand how you can say that about a team that missed the playoffs. They aren’t there yet no matter how much you love the guys.

Back