• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Paul has now played 702 combined regular season and playoff games during the player-tracking era, which stretches back to the 2013-14 season. In terms of the number of times CP3’s man was used as the screener in pick-and-roll action, Games 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 of this series rank third, fifth, second, fourth and first among those 702 games, representing five of the nine total games where he’s defended the screener double-digit times.

Rest of article

Because the Warriors are the Warriors.

Good Hollinger piece about space ball, the importance of wings, and how centers may become even more obsolete.

https://theathletic.com/3314194/202...s-bucks-spaceball/?source=user_shared_article

———
It’s the latest evolution in a postseason tactical game that continues evolving at a dizzying pace: String five players on the perimeter, switch everything on defense, go one-on-one against a defense that can’t easily send help, and either feast on open 3s or get to the rim. Forget pick-and-roll, this is more like pick-and-run. Space-ball teams might set a screen to get a switch, but the endgame is an isolation for the dribbler after the screener gets the hell out of dodge and relocates along the 3-point line.

I’m being overly reductive about the 3s, of course; both Dallas and Boston have superlative individual talents in Dončić and Jayson Tatum to center their attacks. The Mavs and Celtics also played great individual defense on Sunday and throughout the playoffs, and that was a major factor in their wins.

But here’s the thing: Their space-ball lineups have enabled much of that. Playing this way allowed both teams to keep multiple elite 3-and-D wings on the floor, switch everything and not have a vulnerable true five lying around for opponent pick-and-rolls. Kleber, whom I scouted as a small forward in Germany five years ago (where, coincidentally, he had a teammate named Devin Booker), ended up playing the majority of the minutes at center in this series against a 7-footer who was the top pick in the 2018 draft and against the giant Gobert in the previous round.
———-

Bodes well for LaRavia’s draft prospects. He can sell himself as someone who can do what Horford and Kleber have done.

yes they do. as was stated earlier he also did it to kawhi and paul george.

this is why boston sports fans are insufferable. it's ok. tatum is fucking awesome. even people who hate the celts know this. luka is still better.

i said i'd take luka over tatum like two pages ago but okay

I think you ask the question which would you rather have to build a team around, Luka Or Tatum. I think an overwhelming majority would say Luka.

If Luke ever decides to take hio body and physical conditioning really seriously, he would likely be a little bit better on offense and could become a good defender and therefore potentially the best player in the world.

i don’t want to get carried away, but imo there is some suns d’antoni in him the way the mavs lineups are kinda strategically ahead of their time. i predict guys like kleber are gonna be getting paid biiiig time in the next 5 years.

So back to this point, I do find it interesting that none of the teams remaining in playoffs have a traditional center. League has been trending this way for years but I think these 4 teams amplify it

i think luka and tatum debate will age as well as the cp3 and deron comparisons

The Bucks could have played without a center if Middleton was healthy.

The prototypical NBA champ is still a team like the dynasty Warriors with an elite PG and a ton of two way wings. That’s the way to do it. Switchable 6-6 to 6-10 dudes who are super athletic, great shooters, or good lateral defenders are the key.

So bummed for CP3. He's had a ton of bad luck, but after 17 years, your playoff record speaks for itself (or more accurately throws up on itself). Kills me because CP3 bleeds for WF more than any of our recent stars. Sad.

Agree. I’m crushed for him.

A buddy of mine put in a $500 parlay last year on the Celtics to win the NBA Finals and Scotty Scheffler to win the Masters (before his first win). Pays $170,000. He was, uhhhh, in good spirits last night.

A buddy of mine put in a $500 parlay last year on the Celtics to win the NBA Finals and Scotty Scheffler to win the Masters (before his first win). Pays $170,000. He was, uhhhh, in good spirits last night.

Duly impressive. Totally respect if he/she doesn't hedge, but I would be hedging the piss out of that right now. Particularly, since the Celts are favored against the Heat, and the Heat's best chance is take game 1. If the Celts lose, odds will run against the hedge. I have healthy futures on the Mavs, Heat and Celts (also had the Grizz). The Warriors are my one remaining vulnerability (was essentially betting against the Nets, 76ers, Lakers, Warriors, Bucks, all of whom I felt were over-valued in the early futures market). Warriors being heavy favorites at this point doesn't help. With 4 teams left, just can't bet on the Warriors +130 out of principle. Feel very good about the Celtics chances to win it all, but the Heat are so tough on defense. Fearing that Warriors beat the Mavs, and the Heat find a way to win a 7 game series against the Celtics, but have nothing left for the finals.

Yeah it wasn't worth it until the Celtics win last night apparently. There would definitely be a trip to Vegas and a hedge for like $50k against Boston if they make the finals. They're in talks to see what a buyout looks like right now. It'll be interesting to say the least.

interesting that the celtics are now favored over the Heat

The Warriors stabilized things quickly when they put a center in the game to start (Looney) alongside Draymond at PF and put Kuminga on the bench.

Instead of getting destroyed by Adams and JJJ, they won 2 in a row (I think) and closed it out.

Also, during the regular season, the Grizzlies were 21 or 22 and 6 without Ja Morant, so losing Morant is huge, but it's not like they don't play well without him.

Go big worked for the Warriors and would have worked very well for Cleveland if Sexton and then later, Allen, had not been injured (Garland/Sexton/Markkanen/Mobley/Allen).

Along those lines, instead of losing and losing with Keldon Johnson as some sort of 4-man, I hope the Spurs find a way to grab John Collins and put him up front with Poeltl.

Murray
Vassell
Johnson
Collins
Poeltl

They have some draft pick capital, I suppose.

from what i've seen, collins is largely wasted if he's not playing center and heavily involved as screen man in pnr.

Woj has said that Ayton really unlikely to come back to the Suns

interesting that Miami is -1.5 for game 1, but Boston still favored to win the series

can't be often that a team is favored to win game 1 but lose the series

Back