• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

We usually have draft talk on the main thread. In three weeks, the draft, free agency, and Summer League will be the main topics of discussion. Obviously, those of us whose teams aren't still in the playoffs are deep into looking up draft projections and such.

i agree that chet theoretically is the ideal modern big. sounds he might be able to switch onto guards and hold his own, so worst case he seems like a maxi kleber (who imo is a really good / underrated player).

upside is that he’s a better rim protector and possibly a legit post threat, but even without the latter he’s a really good player.

I think he will play most often - eventually - as a "point-center" a la the Joker. He will be tough in that role. I do not think he will play like a wing. I dont understand that comparison at all in terms of Chet's skillset and size.

Chet has the handles and shot to play outside the paint. Not that it matters, but Drew Timme played the Joker role for Gonzaga. Timme took 175 more two point shots than Chet, and had more assists. Chet took 70 more three point shots than Timme. The bottom line is that Chet's size, agility. shooting ability and handles give him position versatility on offense in the NBA. Defense will be a problem until Chet gets stronger. I do think that if Chet wasn't white he would draw more comparisons to Durant. Not saying Chet will ever reach a comparable level, but they do share skillsets.

We may be saying the same thing. He’s not a back to the basket big. He’s a big wing that teams like to use as a small ball C. It’s just he’s very big and potentially an elite shot blocker. He’s a unicorn.

I won't pretend that I watched a ton of Gonzaga this past year, but I see Chet as being a great help defender and paint roamer that will disrupt and alter shots at the rim, much like how the Cs use Rob Williams. His handle at that size is pretty impressive, but I guess I see him being more of a spot-up shooter and getting his touches within the flow of the offense rather than taking dudes off the bounce, at least to start his career. I think he's gonna be pretty impactful.

Is anyone still watching the playoffs other than the fans of the remaining teams? What a piss-poor final product. It is rough when regular season games carried more juice than the conference finals. I turned it on for about 10 minutes last night towards the end of the first half, saw what had to be 8 threes bricked in a row while players flopped like fish on both offense and defense, and went to bed. And I've been a high-level NBA season ticket holder for almost 10 years now, but this is pretty much unwatchable.

I will add that my interest in the NFL declined when rules started being changed and interpreted such that QBs could play the refs as much as play the opposition. Throwing for PI calls instead of throwing for completions. I fear the NBA is headed that same direction. There has always been playing for calls in the post, but in those cases there is usually a decent amount of contact with multiple defensive players around and it is truly a judgment call. When the action is isolated one on one out on the perimeter and guys are flopping on fingernail touches and the "space to land" bullshit, that detracts from the competitiveness of the players playing each other and weakens the product.

Stopped watching every night or every game when teams I liked were out, will watch the finals. Similar to almost every sport I follow. I think the MORE THREES and duke/celtic flopping is annoying to the product, but don't really see a way back from it.

Stopped watching every night or every game when teams I liked were out, will watch the finals. Similar to almost every sport I follow. I think the MORE THREES and duke/celtic flopping is annoying to the product, but don't really see a way back from it.

i will not watch a second of a warriors/celts final.. watched the first few games of these semi's but have now pretty much tuned out since they haven't been engaging or fun at all

NBA playoffs have been weirdly non-competitive. Since Golden State's May 9 111-108 win in Game 4 of the Memphis/GSW series, the NBA has played 20 straight playoff games decided by 6 or more points, and the vast majority have been double digits. Essentially every conference final game has been decided heading into the final few minutes. Competitive games make the playoffs exciting. Also, the offense in the Miami/Celts series has been atrocious. Even though last night's game was close at the half, it was really hard to watch 42-37 at half. Yuck.

yeah not sure there are any foolproof solutions but they gotta try something.

1. for flopping, assessing techs after the game for flops (fines, eventual suspension)
2. only 2 FTs on 3pt fouls
3. enforce illegal screens
4. get rid of offensive goaltending

yeah not sure there are any foolproof solutions but they gotta try something.

1. for flopping, assessing techs after the game for flops (fines, eventual suspension)
2. only 2 FTs on 3pt fouls
3. enforce illegal screens
4. get rid of offensive goaltending

ooh i like this one

I like 1 and 3. I could be persuaded on 4.

It will never happen but the best idea is to reduce a three-pointer to 2.5 points.

The next best idea is to make the 3-point line uniform or push it back 9 inches and get rid of corner threes. They are the most assisted and highest percentage three-pointer. The game doesn’t owe players a shorter shot worth the same as a longer shot.

Last edited:
The removing offensive goaltending idea is intriguing. I could see teams using that and still jacking up 3s

The illegal screen is a big one. So much of the league runs high pick and roll into iso. That could potentially help

Someone could just Tanya Harding Stephen Curry

Someone could just Tanya Harding Stephen Curry

Again, I'm not going to sympathize with a team taking out a Warriors player in the conference finals.

Back