• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Objectively Embiid/Harden/Maxey/Harris/Green should be miles better than Butler/Bam/Strus/Tucker/Vincent

Shouldn’t be close really.

Granted Joel has a broken face and shooting hand

Crazy stat from the Sixers/Heat series. During the season, the Heat led the NBA in forcing opponents to take a shot in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Usually, forcing teams to shoot late in the clock is a good thing, as they typically take bad/forced shots before the shot clock expires. During the season, opponents averaged only 0.8 points per possession against he Heat when shooting in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. On Sunday, the Heat forced the Sixers to take shots in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, 24 times (that is a lot). The Sixers scored an other-worldly 1.7 points per possession on those 24 possessions. Is regression coming?

….

Still shouldn’t be close.

Crazy stat. Luka is unreal.

https://theathletic.com/realtime/B4dIlmsgOIAW/?source=app_brief_share

Luka is unreal, which is what made last night so frustrating. CP3 finished with more assists than the whole Mavs team combined. And CP3 didn’t play great

Luka cannot do what he did last night if Mavs want to win. I get that the Mavs didn’t shoot as well as Game 3 or 4, but I would argue it is primarily because they didn’t move the ball well, especially Luka. He opted for way too much hero ball, way too much dribble at three point line for entire shot clock and shoot a three, and way too little passing. I can literally only remember 2 or 3 passes Luka made in second half that weren’t out of a double or at end of shot clock.

Mavs offense can generally be judged by those team assists (by the way Luka finished with only 2) and the amount of corner 3s they shoot. They only shot 4 last night I believe. Suns made some nice adjustments but I lay most of that at Lukas feet. If the guy wants to be all world he has to be judged accordingly

Also I cannot believe Jason Kidd only called one TO that entire 3rd Q which was to challenge a play not likely to get overturned. Why he didn’t opt to settle everyone down and shift a game plan I’m not sure

Watching the Suns reminds me of why I hate the NBA. All this 3 ball shit. I'm rooting for CP3 to get a ring, but...

Speaking of which, why do you play CP3 for most of that 4th quarter with a 20 point cushion? It's clear he could use whatever rest you can provide at this point, and he really wasn't needed. At one point, he had 3 turnovers in about 3 minutes (one wasn't his fault) there in the 4th. I mean, if you can rest the guy, do it. And on top of that, Crowder got injured with just a few minutes left in the game and a big lead. Why? He shouldn't have even been in the game.

Watching the Suns reminds me of why I hate the NBA. All this 3 ball shit. I'm rooting for CP3 to get a ring, but...

yeah, hard for me to disagree. and unless there are some rule changes, i think it's gonna trend even more in that direction, since i think the data suggests that teams should be taking even more threes. i actually think what dallas (and the clippers) are doing (five-out with everyone on the court being a legit three point threat) is gonna start becoming more popular. even more so if they start cracking down on offensive players flopping by the rim to get free throws.

It makes perfect sense to shoot more threes. Players are ridiculously skilled nowadays and even random rotation bigs can shoot 38% from deep.

I'm sure people have crunched the numbers long term, but if a guy shoots at 60% at the 12-15 foot range and 40% from 3, I guess that favors the 3? 10 shots nets you 12 points from 3, and 10 shots gets you 12 points from 2. But they probably don't shoot at 60% from that range because they don't practice it. I just hate seeing so much empty floor between a guy and the basket while he camps out for the three. One reason to like CP3's game is because he uses the midrange shot so effectively.

I'm sure people have crunched the numbers long term, but if a guy shoots at 60% at the 12-15 foot range and 40% from 3, I guess that favors the 3? 10 shots nets you 12 points from 3, and 10 shots gets you 12 points from 2. But they probably don't shoot at 60% from that range because they don't practice it. I just hate seeing so much empty floor between a guy and the basket while he camps out for the three. One reason to like CP3's game is because he uses the midrange shot so effectively.

yeah, practically nobody shoots that well from mid-range: https://www.nba.com/stats/players/s...T&dir=1&CF=Mid-Range FGA*GE*15&PerMode=Totals

more largely regarding 3s, the average points per half court possession is about .95. Because points per miss (offensive boards and putbacks is around .2), that means you only need to make a three-pointer 25% of the time to be equal to the average half-court set.

there is still a bit of a stigma around shooting threes excessively which i think is actually still bringing down the amount of threes teams attempt relative to what the data would suggest. (e.g. despite shoo's remonstrations, the bucks would probably be a more effective half-court offense if giannis were to take more of the open threes teams are giving him, particularly towards the end of the shot clock)

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense to shoot more threes. Players are ridiculously skilled nowadays and even random rotation bigs can shoot 38% from deep.

Yes. And it spaces the floor which makes the game so much more beautiful to watch. No longer is it Tree Rollins and Dan Roundfield posting up down low in a hive of players for the entire shot clock. The end result is 25 footers and crazy dunks off great passes/lobs which is exactly what you want in basketball. Those are the two most exciting shots. Otherwise, you may as well watch the WNBA.

The main reason Giannis should probably not shoot more threes is his freakish athleticism and skill allow him to turn a midrange attempt into a layup, dunk, and/or foul with relative ease. If he became just a 35% 3-point shooter, he'd be unstoppable.

he shouldn't shoot more threes but he also shouldn't stop shooting them wholesale, imo.

The main reason Giannis should probably not shoot more threes is his freakish athleticism and skill allow him to turn a midrange attempt into a layup, dunk, and/or foul with relative ease. If he became just a 35% 3-point shooter, he'd be unstoppable.

if that were true, the bucks would score more points per possession in the half-court offense.

if that were true, the bucks would score more points per possession in the half-court offense.

It is true, but Giannis likes to get his teammates involved and he gets tired.

Back