• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Watching Golden State cruise, reminded me I have never understood NBA salary caps, luxury taxes and payrolls.

Golden State seems to have paid a lot of money, and will (maybe?) win another title:

Top 4 guys: Steph (45 mil); Klay 37 mil, Wiggins 31 mil and Draymond 24 mil or 137 million locked up in top 4 paid guys. Supportive guys: Wiseman (9 mil) did not even play, Looney 5 and Kuminga 5 --- add that 19 to 137 and it's over 150 million for the rotation so to speak.

Top total NBA payroll of 178 million.

OKC at 82 million total payroll.

Spurs top 4 guys (does not include Keldon Johnson at 2 million) = 48 million.

Large market vs. small market I assume, but if salary cap is 112 million, then how does team A go up to 180 million and team B sink to 82 million?

Watching Golden State cruise, reminded me I have never understood NBA salary caps, luxury taxes and payrolls.

Golden State seems to have paid a lot of money, and will (maybe?) win another title:

Top 4 guys: Steph (45 mil); Klay 37 mil, Wiggins 31 mil and Draymond 24 mil or 137 million locked up in top 4 paid guys. Supportive guys: Wiseman (9 mil) did not even play, Looney 5 and Kuminga 5 --- add that 19 to 137 and it's over 150 million for the rotation so to speak.

Top total NBA payroll of 178 million.

OKC at 82 million total payroll.

Spurs top 4 guys (does not include Keldon Johnson at 2 million) = 48 million.

Large market vs. small market I assume, but if salary cap is 112 million, then how does team A go up to 180 million and team B sink to 82 million?

GS pays a ton of luxury tax

it's not, like, EPL-level bad, but it is indeed a competitive imbalance

From a February 2022 article on the 7 NBA teams paying a luxury tax:

Currently, there are seven teams who are in the red on the NBA luxury tax books.

The Golden State Warriors top the table with a $170,331,206 luxury tax due after going over $39 million over the threshold. The Brooklyn Nets follow close behind them with a $97,686,001 tax on a $32 million overspend. The Los Angeles Clippers have spent $29.4 million more than their allowance and will pay $82,462,372 for the privilege, while the Milwaukee Bucks will owe $58,359,908 on a $23.5 million excess. The Los Angeles Lakers, the Utah Jazz, and the Philadelphia 76ers round out the offending clubs with overspends of $19.6 million, $11 million, and $9.5 million respectively. Their luxury tax will be $43,726,413 for the Lakers, $18,831,018 for the Jazz and $15,418,974 for the 76ers.

The total collected will be divided up amongst the other 23 teams in the league as a form of financial field levelling.

Lakers paying the luxury tax and missing out on the play in tournament.... ouch.

Here is the link: https://en.as.com/en/2022/02/25/nba/1645822900_207624.html#:~:text=Who%20pays%20the%20most%20luxury,%2439%20million%20over%20the%20threshold.

This series is highlighting just how bad the Suns' collapse was this year.

Yea. I mean I think the Mavs' lack of depth is probably a bigger deal now than it was during the Suns' series, but the Mavs were very beatable and this is a very beatable Warriors team.

Of all the pseudo-conspiracy theories about that Game 7, the one I keep coming back to is CP3's quad injury was worse than anyone knew, and the team "knew" (officially or otherwise) that he likely was going to be highly limited, if not unplayable, in the next series such that the team came out in a collective haze knowing that their season was effectively over regardless of whatever happened in that game. Then, once the Mavs clearly came up super fired up, motivated, flying all over the gym tipping passes and diving for loose balls, etc., the Suns' collective deflation just snowballed and it totally got away from them.

Yea. I mean I think the Mavs' lack of depth is probably a bigger deal now than it was during the Suns' series, but the Mavs were very beatable and this is a very beatable Warriors team.

Of all the pseudo-conspiracy theories about that Game 7, the one I keep coming back to is CP3's quad injury was worse than anyone knew, and the team "knew" (officially or otherwise) that he likely was going to be highly limited, if not unplayable, in the next series such that the team came out in a collective haze knowing that their season was effectively over regardless of whatever happened in that game. Then, once the Mavs clearly came up super fired up, motivated, flying all over the gym tipping passes and diving for loose balls, etc., the Suns' collective deflation just snowballed and it totally got away from them.

I mean it’s the only possible explanation for CP3’s 5 horrible games in a row after going 14/14 the week prior

There’s also a huge amount of randomness in a 3PT heavy attack. Bullock and Kleber couldn’t miss last series, now they can’t hit a shot. Same with all these guys. Crowder, Cam Johnson, Bridges, etc. Tatum goes 6-10 one game then 1-9 the next.

There’s also a huge amount of randomness in a 3PT heavy attack. Bullock and Kleber couldn’t miss last series, now they can’t hit a shot. Same with all these guys. Crowder, Cam Johnson, Bridges, etc. Tatum goes 6-10 one game then 1-9 the next.

not all shooters are streaky fwiw, but it's fascinating to think about Bullock as a 35% shooter when that means going 6/10 and 0/7 in back-to-back games

the Mav's offense has a Luka problem, imo. he's gotta hit his teammates in rhythm and he's gotta make distribution a consistent, anticipate-able component of his game

it's similar to the Celtics's Tatum probably, imo

when players expect ball movement, they're always ready to hit shots

for example, it's wild to watch the Clippers revive so-called washed players' three point percentages without doing anything beyond just moving the ball consistently

Kleber and Bullock combined to go 0 for 15 last night, and many were on open looks. Killed any chance of a competitive series.

Tbh it just seems like a talent disparity to me. Dallas’ non-Luka players have stepped up in the earlier series but a relatively healthy Golden State is just really damn good and we haven’t seen that in a while.

Yeah I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as all of that

Struck, Dallas had their highest shot quality score of their entire postseason last night (which they have led all playoff teams in). They had their third highest in Game 2. Other than the third Q of Game 2, the Mavs have moved the ball around really well the last two games (and generally) in the playoffs. The Mavs offense is definitely Luka centric. But the Mavs offense is at its best when Luka (or Brunson) attacks the basket and the Mavs then move the ball around a collapsing defense

DFS and Bullock being top three in mins played and distance covered in playoffs seems to be catching up to them at the worst time. Brunson is also top 5 in playoff mins played for playoff players. It’s a depth issue

Where the Warriors have taken advantage (where other teams haven’t) is the Mavs lack of a rim protector. They knew that was the problem of trading KP this year. But the gamble was obviously worth it. Phx and Utah didn’t seem to care that the Mavs had no C. GS have torched them in paint

A little draft talk. There are reports that the Rockets, Kings, and Blazers are looking to trade the 3rd, 4th, and 7th picks respectively.

A little draft talk. There are reports that the Rockets, Kings, and Blazers are looking to trade the 3rd, 4th, and 7th picks respectively.

Blazers make some sense, especially if they can get right guy around Dame. Kings are the Kings…The Rockets I do not get. I don’t know why you wouldn’t want one of those top 3 guys to pair with Green

Blazers make some sense, especially if they can get right guy around Dame. Kings are the Kings…The Rockets I do not get. I don’t know why you wouldn’t want one of those top 3 guys to pair with Green

Because they're happy with Wood and Sengun as their bigs? They could use the #3 and other assets from the Harden trade to bring in a star.

Yeah I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as all of that

Struck, Dallas had their highest shot quality score of their entire postseason last night (which they have led all playoff teams in). They had their third highest in Game 2. Other than the third Q of Game 2, the Mavs have moved the ball around really well the last two games (and generally) in the playoffs. The Mavs offense is definitely Luka centric. But the Mavs offense is at its best when Luka (or Brunson) attacks the basket and the Mavs then move the ball around a collapsing defense

DFS and Bullock being top three in mins played and distance covered in playoffs seems to be catching up to them at the worst time. Brunson is also top 5 in playoff mins played for playoff players. It’s a depth issue

Where the Warriors have taken advantage (where other teams haven’t) is the Mavs lack of a rim protector. They knew that was the problem of trading KP this year. But the gamble was obviously worth it. Phx and Utah didn’t seem to care that the Mavs had no C. GS have torched them in paint

I'll defer to you as the resident Mavs fan. I just noticed in the playoffs that Luka and Tatum, in particular, have this weird tendency to like drive blind to the basket and then do some kinda acrobatic pass out about a second after a guy like Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry might.

It seems like that quarter of a second to second is enough to throw a shooter off their rhythm. It would be for me as a player. When your guy attacks the basket looking to score, your role as an offensive player changes vs. when you know that you're gonna get a kick out.

I'll defer to you as the resident Mavs fan. I just noticed in the playoffs that Luka and Tatum, in particular, have this weird tendency to like drive blind to the basket and then do some kinda acrobatic pass out about a second after a guy like Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry might.

It seems like that quarter of a second to second is enough to throw a shooter off their rhythm. It would be for me as a player. When your guy attacks the basket looking to score, your role as an offensive player changes vs. when you know that you're gonna get a kick out.

Thats probably fair. The team is definitely too Luka centric. And I think they have started to address that. The KP trade was part of that and they have said they hope the off-season will address some of that too. I think it’s true that the Mavs have a lot of guys who can’t dribble or attack the basket which means when they miss there is nothing else to do on offense.

Thats probably fair. The team is definitely too Luka centric. And I think they have started to address that. The KP trade was part of that and they have said they hope the off-season will address some of that too. I think it’s true that the Mavs have a lot of guys who can’t dribble or attack the basket which means when they miss there is nothing else to do on offense.

Except get the rebound.

and tbf you have some late bloomers who are developing into much bigger roles like DFS and Kleber

who knows what they bring to the table next year?

and tbf you have some late bloomers who are developing into much bigger roles like DFS and Kleber

who knows what they bring to the table next year?

Yeah I really do love those guys. If they had a big and another wing they would be set. Kleber, DFS, and Bullock could then all play 34-36 mins a game instead of 40. Would be ideal. Mavs drop hard on the backend of their bench

Back