• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Exactly. Reward the vaccinated.

Exactly. Reward the vaccinated.

Yup. Some other interesting statistics:

As of midsummer 2021, 40% of covid deaths in the US occurred in patients with diabetes. Only 10% of the population has diabetes.
78% of covid related hospitalizations in the US have occurred in overweigh or obese patients.
75% of covid deaths in the US have occurred in patients above the age of 65.
On average, Americans age 18-29 that are fully vaccinated experience 0.00 deaths per 100,000 people of that age and vaccination status per week. For fully vaccinated 30-49 it is 0.11 per 100,000. For fully vaccinated 50-64 it is 0.39 per 100,000, 1.57 per 100,000 for 65-79, and 6.51 per 100,000 for 80+. If you're a bozo that doesn't want to get vaccinated, that is on you, and I am done having to restrict my life which I can live perfectly safely as a healthy 21 year old fully vaccinated and boosted.

Also, most people are entirely more concerned about covid than they need to be, and surpsingly when surveyed Republicans are actually WAY more knowledgable about the statistical risks of covid than Democrats. Shockingly, 41% of Democrats surveyed thought more than a half!!! of people that got the virus would be hospitalized. That's ludicrous! The real number is somewhere between 0 and 3%.

Imagine if we had taken general health as seriously with advertisement and celebrity campaigns as we have done with masks and socially distancing? That would make a huge difference in not only preventing a huge portion of covid deaths but also helping preventing deaths from other diseases and conditions. Also, we need to stop having a dichotomy between covid will magically go away, vaccines are evil, you should drink Clorox, etc. versus this is the end of the world. If we can all just acknowledge what the objective facts from the CDC and other research says than we can be in a much better place and have to worry about all of this much less.

Bottom of the league Pittsburgh just beat an 8-2 St. Johns team at MSG!

Yup. Some other interesting statistics:

As of midsummer 2021, 40% of covid deaths in the US occurred in patients with diabetes. Only 10% of the population has diabetes.
78% of covid related hospitalizations in the US have occurred in overweigh or obese patients.
75% of covid deaths in the US have occurred in patients above the age of 65.
On average, Americans age 18-29 that are fully vaccinated experience 0.00 deaths per 100,000 people of that age and vaccination status per week. For fully vaccinated 30-49 it is 0.11 per 100,000. For fully vaccinated 50-64 it is 0.39 per 100,000, 1.57 per 100,000 for 65-79, and 6.51 per 100,000 for 80+. If you're a bozo that doesn't want to get vaccinated, that is on you, and I am done having to restrict my life which I can live perfectly safely as a healthy 21 year old fully vaccinated and boosted.

Also, most people are entirely more concerned about covid than they need to be, and surpsingly when surveyed Republicans are actually WAY more knowledgable about the statistical risks of covid than Democrats. Shockingly, 41% of Democrats surveyed thought more than a half!!! of people that got the virus would be hospitalized. That's ludicrous! The real number is somewhere between 0 and 3%.

Imagine if we had taken general health as seriously with advertisement and celebrity campaigns as we have done with masks and socially distancing? That would make a huge difference in not only preventing a huge portion of covid deaths but also helping preventing deaths from other diseases and conditions. Also, we need to stop having a dichotomy between covid will magically go away, vaccines are evil, you should drink Clorox, etc. versus this is the end of the world. If we can all just acknowledge what the objective facts from the CDC and other research says than we can be in a much better place and have to worry about all of this much less.

1300 Americans die every day from COVID, and that obviously doesn't count all the people that live but have completely changed lives from kidney failure, stroke, amputations, cardiomyopathy, etc. COVID is currently the third leading cause of death in the US, and may become the first leading cause over the next month.

This all sucks. Big time. But it is a nasty, deadly virus and is highly contagious. The more COVID spreads, the more people become hospitalized, and the more people die. That is why there are so many efforts to prevent spread, even amongst low risk groups - because the more it spreads, the more people die.

I completely agree with rewarding the vaccinated, and I wish Wake asked for vaccinated confirmation for all those attending the games.

I'll put this here, but I was watching ACCN play an interview with Hubert Davis and he said that at UNC they never used a scouting report on opponents. The most they would do was post a roster and put a star beside players that could shoot and a double star by players who could really shoot. They didn't run scout teams or opponent's favorite plays or sets. Practice was all about making sure that UNC did the things that they do well as perfectly as possible. Boozer chimed in and said it was similar at Duke. The 3rd member of the team (Louisville? not Jordan Cornette) was blown away and couldn't conceive of not knowing every little detail about opponent's tendencies. I don't know about y'all but I'm beyond surprised that they didn't use detailed breakdown of their opponents.

1300 Americans die every day from COVID, and that obviously doesn't count all the people that live but have completely changed lives from kidney failure, stroke, amputations, cardiomyopathy, etc. COVID is currently the third leading cause of death in the US, and may become the first leading cause over the next month.

This all sucks. Big time. But it is a nasty, deadly virus and is highly contagious. The more COVID spreads, the more people become hospitalized, and the more people die. That is why there are so many efforts to prevent spread, even amongst low risk groups - because the more it spreads, the more people die.

I completely agree with rewarding the vaccinated, and I wish Wake asked for vaccinated confirmation for all those attending the games.

There's no getting around the fact that it is just an awful illness that has led to a tragic number of deaths. I just think the rate of deaths for vaccinated individuals especially those healthy and not 80+ is low enough that at some point it gets to a place where people are making their own decisions regarding personal health and vaccination and are putting themselves at risk. I have little sympathy if any for those that do not vaccinate and I hesitate to say college athletes and other young people and even most middle aged people should still have to fundamentally change their lifestyles to protect those that won't protect themselves. Car crashes kill 3,700 per day in the US, whereas vaccinated people die of covid at a rate of mostly less than 100 per day. While you can't "catch" a car crash and it's not the best comparison, I think it is important to note that generally well under 100 vaccinated people die of covid each day, which is less than so many other viruses and diseases that we don't make nearly the same fuss about. Vaccination is the absolute key here and like I said I have almost no sympathy for those that refuse to help themselves. I have sympathy for the healthcare workers that they strain, but not for them.

There's no getting around the fact that it is just an awful illness that has led to a tragic number of deaths. I just think the rate of deaths for vaccinated individuals especially those healthy and not 80+ is low enough that at some point it gets to a place where people are making their own decisions regarding personal health and vaccination and are putting themselves at risk. I have little sympathy if any for those that do not vaccinate and I hesitate to say college athletes and other young people and even most middle aged people should still have to fundamentally change their lifestyles to protect those that won't protect themselves. Car crashes kill 3,700 per day in the US, whereas vaccinated people die of covid at a rate of mostly less than 100 per day. While you can't "catch" a car crash and it's not the best comparison, I think it is important to note that generally well under 100 vaccinated people die of covid each day, which is less than so many other viruses and diseases that we don't make nearly the same fuss about. Vaccination is the absolute key here and like I said I have almost no sympathy for those that refuse to help themselves. I have sympathy for the healthcare workers that they strain, but not for them.

Yep. But you can't let it run unchecked. It will kill way too many and crush hospitals and healthcare resources, which negatively affects everyone.

Check your numbers, car crashes killed about 115/day in 2020. You may have cited the deaths per month. However, I'm not here to argue one way or another. Can you move the Covid arguments to another thread? My last 2 posts were an attempt to spark basketball talk. Maybe limit Covid talk to info about cancellations and rescheduling?

Last edited:
I'll put this here, but I was watching ACCN play an interview with Hubert Davis and he said that at UNC they never used a scouting report on opponents. The most they would do was post a roster and put a star beside players that could shoot and a double star by players who could really shoot. They didn't run scout teams or opponent's favorite plays or sets. Practice was all about making sure that UNC did the things that they do well as perfectly as possible. Boozer chimed in and said it was similar at Duke. The 3rd member of the team (Louisville? not Jordan Cornette) was blown away and couldn't conceive of not knowing every little detail about opponent's tendencies. I don't know about y'all but I'm beyond surprised that they didn't use detailed breakdown of their opponents.

I’m sure the coaching staff scouted and knew every little detail. Also back when Boozer played and definitely when Davis played, they played ACC teams 2 or 3 times and played against most guys a few years. The Louisville guy (I know who you’re talking about) was facing most players for the first time and facing most teams once.

I know what you're saying and agree with what you're saying, but... Hubert didn't make it sound that way and he was referring to Roy, seemingly up to last year. He also seemed to say he tended be the same way. Maybe they'll replay it and I can see if I read it the wrong way.

Well that’s interesting. That’s the privilege of having better talent 9 times out of 10.

That's what Cory or Jordan kept saying "You can do that if you have superior talent"

No one believes this.

UL in big trouble vs the Hilltoppers, down 10 with 10+ team fouls at the under 8 timeout

WKU has two triple doubles (two different players) this year

UNC no scouting report needed for Hubert Davis

Check your numbers, car crashes killed about 115/day in 2020. You may have cited the deaths per month. However, I'm not here to argue one way or another. Can you move the Covid arguments to another thread? My last 2 posts were an attempt to spark basketball talk. Maybe limit Covid talk to info about cancellations and rescheduling?

Thanks. Accidentally used the worldwide number.

Will there be heat on Davis with a 50 point blow out to KY that list to ND?

If UNC is the #2 from the ACC we better finish 3rd if we want to dance.

LA Tech giving LSU more that they were looking for right now. 7 point lead and fouls are 8-2 LSU.

Back