• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Pilchard

Reaction score
We are three weeks away from the first games of the 2021-22 season.

The early takeaways are:

- The ACC's descent continues. One ACC team ranked in the top 18.
- Gonzaga will again spend most of the season #1. Can they finish?
- Big 10 getting a lot of early respect for conference that threw-up on itself when it counted

AP Top 25 with corresponding KP rating (of course KY and UNC are over-ranked)

1 Gonzaga (1)

2 UCLA (7)

3 Kansas (2)

4 Villanova (9)

5 Texas (14)

6 Michigan (3)

7 Purdue (6)

8 Baylor (4)

9 Duke (10)

10 Kentucky (17)

11 Illinois (5)

12 Memphis (16)

13 Oregon (29)

14 Alabama (19)

15 Houston (11)

16 Arkansas (15)

17 Ohio State (8)

18 Tennessee (13)

19 North Carolina (40)

20 Florida State (24)

21 Maryland (18)

22 Auburn (28)

23 St. Bonaventure (30) -- Quadry Adams will star for the Bonnies in March?

24 UConn (21)

25 Virginia (45)

KP Conference Rankings:

1. Big 10
2. Big 12
3. SEC
4. Pac 12
5. ACC
6. Big East

KP ACC Rankings:

1. Duke #10 (Duke has not finished first in the ACC regular season since 2010; guess their gym couldn't overcome the Devils lack of talent over recent years)
2. FSU #24
3. ND #27 (massive jump from last year -- #85)
4. L'ville #36
5. VT #39
6. UNC #40
7. Cuse #41
8. UVA #45
9. GT #54
10. NC State #56
11. Clemson #59
12. Miami #83
13. WF #104
14. Pitt #145
15. BC #146

Last edited:
I think there is a good chance that the ACC is improved this year, but I couldn't tell you which teams are the ones to outperform expectations.

ND & VT are the ones that stick out to me as perhaps undervalued.

Media, of course, wants Duke to be good, but we'll see... I mean, they were 9-9 last year and I know it is a different roster, but that isn't Top 10.

But hey, the ACC is also a Low-End P5 football conference too !

I think there is a good chance that the ACC is improved this year, but I couldn't tell you which teams are the ones to outperform expectations.

ND & VT are the ones that stick out to me as perhaps undervalued.

Media, of course, wants Duke to be good, but we'll see... I mean, they were 9-9 last year and I know it is a different roster, but that isn't Top 10.

What has ND added that makes you think they are better than the jump from #85 to#27 says?

It was more a comment that ND is probably better than the 8th they were voted in the preseason ACC poll.

I was surprised to see ND so much higher in KP than where they finished last season.

I don't get the ND optimism. I guess its based on their rising senior class (Prentiss Hubb, Dane Goodwin, Nate Laszewski) all returning, and they were highly touted when they were signed, but the results have never been there for them. They also added 6-10 C transfer Paul Atkinson from Yale, but the issue is always the same for ND: they don't play defense. Last year, ND's only stout interior defender, Juwan Durham, is now gone. ND will score points. ND will give up points. ND will end up in the middle of the ACC. FWIW, ND is a team that WF could pass if the Deacons end up having a surprise season. A massively flawed WF team almost beat ND in the ACC tourney last year. Very confident that WF has improved more since last March than ND.

Laszewski was very good last year (43.4% from 3!), Hubb will be one of the better PGs in the ACC, and Atkinson will help. As you mention, they only lost Durham (but brought in Atkinson).

Agree that they don't play defense, but they'll have a strong starting five that has been (mostly) playing together for a while. So much turnover around the rest of the ACC that I think that will help them.

ATS has always had a crush on Laszewski. Knew that if his name was raised, ATS would have to comment... ;-)

Yeah, I feel similarly about Devoe.

The good news is that we might not have landed Forbes if Laszewski and Devoe ended up at Wake and we were OK instead of terrible, so I should just get over it.

But let's be real though... Laszewski will be ACC POY this year. Mark it down.

College basketball is dying a slow death. Nobody watches it except for March. It's a shit product. It's why you don't want to be Duke right now. 3000 for a football game. College football is blowing the doors off hoops.

Well, dying college basketball opens its season tomorrow.

Feel like we have seen this 1,000 times, but the marquee games tomorrow in MSG are:

Michigan State v Kansas at 6 pm
KY v. Duke at 9 pm

There are more than 180 games tomorrow night (many of them involve a D1 team playing a non-D1 team). Other than Duke, ACC teams in action tomorrow:

Southern at L'ville
Maine at VT
Loyola (MD) at UNC
Lafayette at Cuse
Navy at UVA
Miami (O) at GT
Bucknell at NC State
Presby at Clemson
Canisius at Miami
Dartmouth at BC
Citadel at Pitt

St. Bonaventure is -1650 to win the A-10 on my book. That has to be an error, unless they are 1972 UCLA.

Well, dying college basketball opens its season tomorrow.

Feel like we have seen this 1,000 times, but the marquee games tomorrow in MSG are:

Michigan State v Kansas at 6 pm
KY v. Duke at 9 pm

There are more than 180 games tomorrow night (many of them involve a D1 team playing a non-D1 team). Other than Duke, ACC teams in action tomorrow:

Southern at L'ville
Maine at VT
Loyola (MD) at UNC
Lafayette at Cuse
Navy at UVA
Miami (O) at GT
Bucknell at NC State
Presby at Clemson
Canisius at Miami
Dartmouth at BC
Citadel at Pitt

Aren’t they D-1 in basketball?

All of the ACC teams are playing low-end D-1 teams. Other than Duke/KY, the toughest ACC opponent is GT playing Miami (O) who is #137. There are several non ACC D-1 teams playing D-2, D-3 or NAIA teams. For example, Wofford is playing "Bob Jones". Not sure if Wofford is playing against a guy named Bob Jones or if there is a college named after "Bob 'don't call me Robert' Jones". Yale is playing Vassar, which was an all women college for many years, and still is only about 1/3 male. Guessing the Vassar men's hoop team might not win the IM league at some big schools.

Bob Jones is a very conservative Christian school in Greenville, SC

Bob Jones is a very conservative Christian school in Greenville, SC

Yes, I am aware that Bob Jones is Liberty in SC, but even stricter and stranger. It's just a funny name for a college. Maybe when James Madison moves up to FBS in football, they will go by Jim Madison.

Some games with WF connections tonight:

Justin Gray's HC debut WCU as the Catamounts host Bowling Green. Looks like a lean first season for WCU (the Deacs host the Catamounts on Friday).
Isiah Wilkins' first game with Longwood. The Lancers play at Iowa this evening on the Big 10 Network.
Quadry Adams initial contest for #30 St. Bonnie as they host Siena. St. Bonnie is currently expected to be favored in every game they play except for neutral site games against UCONN and VT, which are essentially pick 'em.
Jalen Johnson is likely to start for Mercer at Arkansas. Arkansas is loaded.
Ody's first game as the Legendary Wes Miller era begins in Cincy. They host Evansville.

Tomorrow, Ish Massoud (K State) and Emmanuel Okpomo (Temple) play their first games.

Back