• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Wake got left out for the following reasons:

Weak OOC schedule
Losses to BC and Clemson (and Miami at home)
Irrational love affair with MWC and B1G

We need to get over the OOC excuse, it's almost always been this way, if you are on the bubble they can use that as an excuse to leave you out.

We played a depleted Clemson team with their best player out and were on our heels the entire game.

Just have to accept the fact that we lost 5 games we should have or could have won.

@ 'ville, had the lead late, they were a better team then but could have taken that one
@ 'cuse - had the lead at half time and just melted down
Miami - we were up by double digits
@dook - needed to start playing sooner, but win that one and apparently it's worth an 8 seed in the NCAAT,
@Clemson - see above
BC - 10 point lead with 6 to go

Win 1-2 of those reg season games and the OOC doesn't matter, we gave the NCAAT the excuse to use the OOC against us.

apologize if this has already been posted

The Mountain West went 0-4 this year in the NCAAT first round/first 4, average margin 8.5 points
The MWC went 0-2 in the 2021 NCAAT first round, average margin 14 points
There was no 2020 NCAAT
2019: 0-2 first round, average margin 13 points
2018: 1-1 first round (two close games)
2017: 0-1 first round (11 point loss)
2016: 0-1 first round (11 point loss)
2015: 1-2 first round/first 4

so, since the 2016 tournament, the Mountain West is 1-11 in first round/first 4 games, and they typically lose by double digits.

I am 100% fully aware that the Committee says we shouldn't look at past results for tournament bids, but FFS, win a few games before you start getting four invitations.

Guess WF should play a couple of MWC teams in OOC games. The committee thinks they are good, but WF fans think they suck.

The fact that winning a road game at an 18-17 Utah State team qualified as a Quad 1 win says all you need to know about the system. The Mountain West teams all had gaudy records but turned out to be terrible.

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - Tournament Time: NCAA, NIT, CBI amd TBC

Didn’t the formation of the Mountain West prompt expanding to 68? They’re getting extra at-large spots they haven’t earned.

I’d be fine scheduling Mountain West and WCC teams.

@Utah State should not be regarded as a better win than @UVA, and I am willing to die on that hill

Didn’t the formation of the Mountain West prompt expanding to 68? They’re getting extra at-large spots they haven’t earned.

I’d be fine scheduling Mountain West and WCC teams.

This. Add to that the WCC is no longer just Gonzaga and occasionally St Mary's. USF, Santa Clara and BYU are pretty decent. And I agree with 83 in that we only have ourselves to blame for throwing away some games we had in hand. Had we just handled business in just 1-2 of those games, we wouldn't have ended up on the wrong side of the bubble.

@Utah State should not be regarded as a better win than @UVA, and I am willing to die on that hill

This. Also, MWC has what, 11 teams? So 4/11 get into the NCAAT (36%) and 5/15 from the ACC get in (33%) and it's probable that VT is left out if they don't win the ACCT. I'm fine with four MWC teams getting in, but FFS they should not have a higher representation in the tourney than the ACC. Feel like Wake would steamroll every team in that league.

The selection committee does what it wants and then looks for reasons to justify it. It is not consistently a data driven decision, but a data excused decision. We've been left out for playing too hard a schedule (W-L not good enough, but have SOS), and too soft a schedule (this year).

Wake isn't a big draw in the committee's eyes, either. We are too big to be a darling Cinderella, but too small to bring lots of fans and generate revenue.

The selection committee does what it wants and then looks for reasons to justify it. It is not consistently a data driven decision, but a data excused decision. We've been left out for playing too hard a schedule (W-L not good enough, but have SOS), and too soft a schedule (this year).

True. But the solution is always to win more games.

Charlie Moore looks like your friend's little brother, but he's that dude. Clutch FTs for the win.

We've been left out for playing too hard a schedule (W-L not good enough, but have SOS), and too soft a schedule (this year).

Maybe the former happened eons ago, but in 2017 we very much got in having played an incredibly tough schedule but not having the best of records. As long as you wind up with a reasonable profile (3+ games above .500) you're much better off scheduling up than down

Some of the officiating today has been borderline incompetent. Horrendous.

Who was the rocket scientist that scheduled all the ACC teams in a 3-4 hour block?

I hope this starts spurring on the Twitter people and articles about the ACC being underrated. Let’s keep it going. As this goes on, I’m getting more and more pissed for us.

The fact that winning a road game at an 18-17 Utah State team qualified as a Quad 1 win says all you need to know about the system. The Mountain West teams all had gaudy records but turned out to be terrible.

Probably further back in this thread, back when we thought we were on the bubble, I looked at that conference and basically they scheduled a lot of P6 teams won only one or two, plus St Marys (which a couple beat), but 6 of top 7 teams wound up with NET below 75 which meant a lot of Quad 1 opps in conf.

Back