• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

I only saw them a few times on TV and saw them here. UVA won easily. I was therefore unimpressed. I liked those guards, but UVA bullied their frontcourt and took it to the rack the whole game. So I think that game colored my view of Miami. But I still think they're a weak defensive team on the inside and won't be long for the tourney from here. Auburn just had an unusually awful shooting night and didn't go inside enough.

weak defensive team? they are fifth in the nation in turnover margin. ate alondes alive

Kind of crazy that Miami does overly-rely on it backcourt, essentially has no low-post game, has won two NCAAT games against higher (better) seeded teams, while Miami has shot a combined 4 for 34 from three 12%, in those two NCAAT wins. Seems impossible. FWIW, think Miami has the edge over Iowa State. The Cyclones are great comeback story from last year, but they played an LSU team that lost its coach, and then Wisconsin lost its PG early in the game, and Wisconsin shot 2 for 22 from 3. Miami shot 37% from 3 in the ACC, if they can shoot anything close to their norm, they should win.

weak defensive team? they are fifth in the nation in turnover margin. ate alondes alive

I said weak inside. The guards are great. But if you can get by them, you can take it to the hole with ease because Waardenburg isn't a true defensive presence on the inside. UVA shot like well over 50% against them and got most of that in the paint, and UVA was offensively challenged against most teams.

Pilch, help me wrap my head around Miami, Duke and UNC being 3 of the worst teams defensively in the ACC most of this year and now they're all in the sweet-16.

I said weak inside. The guards are great. But if you can get by them, you can take it to the hole with ease because Waardenburg isn't a true defensive presence on the inside. UVA shot like well over 50% against them and got most of that in the paint, and UVA was offensively challenged against most teams.

Pilch, help me wrap my head around Miami, Duke and UNC being 3 of the worst teams defensively in the ACC most of this year and now they're all in the sweet-16.

Big IF in your third sentence. Not many teams have the guards to get by the Miami guards. That makes them a formidable foe until they reach teams with good NBA level guard play.

I’ll help. They were 1st (Duke), 3rd (UNC), and 6th (Miami) in ACC conference-only games in defensive efficiency. So not bad on D at all. UVA, usually first, was 9th this year.

And to further that point, Notre Dame was 2nd, Wake 3rd, VT 6th. All the NCAA tournament teams and should have beens going 1-6.

Trivia note: Wake Forest played in the first NCAA basketball tournament in 1939. Wake lost to Ohio State in the east regional. There were only 8 teams in two regions.

They are weak inside.

So is Texas A&M in theory as they really go small ball. We tend to chase and give up open 3's and foul people when the opponent goes small.

When we do play good defense against the "dribble/drive" crap, the opposing coach goes bananas, gets T'd up and we lose (Grant).

Love that Bonnie fan with the pitcher of beer on his head "cap" or whatever that is.

Dude's nickname has to be something like "hog" or "boner" or something like that.

And MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS don't choke.

Bonnies made FT to win it.

Yeah that hat was hilarious. I also liked the guy *holding* the 1977 NIT Champs shirt like it was out of a museum.

That swat and goodbye wave all in one sequence was brutal. Two of their last 4 home games were this and that FSU buzzer beater... Pretty rough.

Back