• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Wonder if the success of the ACC is fueling a feeling of “unfinished business” from the seniors with remaining eligibility… especially Daivien and Zeke, who have never played in the NCAA Tourney.

Williamson did at ETSU, no?

Wonder if the success of the ACC is fueling a feeling of “unfinished business” from the seniors with remaining eligibility… especially Daivien and Zeke, who have never played in the NCAA Tourney.

I certainly have the fire in my belly that Wake got screwed and should be in the NCAAT.... that, or it's just gas. :rimshot:

Would have been nice to have that fire against Clemson and BC though.

Would have been nice to have that fire against Clemson and BC though.

As has been said so many times. Something about Wake Forest. We aren’t killers. We fold at the worst moments. Something culturally has to change.

Yes, after that game we were discussing how long will they be able to keep Davis as the coach. Now he may accomplish what Wake has only done once ever (or go on to uncharted waters). Things change quickly. When Forbes was rolling the quad, never would have imagined they’d be playing for a Final Four and Wake would have been headed to NIT.

Our better wins seems to propel other programs to “get right” and then we stumble later.

Where are the upsets? Where are the unexpected ACCT runs they even shit programs have experienced? This has lasted 5 coaches now and I’m just sort of done with it. I’m much more deflated now than I was after the BC loss seeing 3 teams we played close in E8 and we have shit to show for it with potentially a bad roster going into next year.

I like Forbes. ACC COY and POY was great pub that lasted 15 minutes. If we go right back to 12th in the ACC with roster turnover, does that feel like progress? That could be a reality if we can’t keep some of this roster intact.

Some of you are fatalistic. And some seem to enjoy wallowing in it. It’s not like there’s some cosmic conspiracy against us.

We’ve had some bad bounces and some bad execution along the way, but we’re not cursed. Our time will come.

I just don't get the sense that this kind of thing factors into players' thinking much in the NIL/unlimited transfer era, especially at a place like WF with zero recent tourney history. It's about finding a platform to build your brand first and foremost and it doesn't take a Final Four to do that.

I just don't get the sense that this kind of thing factors into players' thinking much in the NIL/unlimited transfer era, especially at a place like WF with zero recent tourney history. It's about finding a platform to build your brand first and foremost and it doesn't take a Final Four to do that.

I think you’re crazy if you don’t think competing in the NCAA Tourney is a motivating factor for college players. They’re athletes and largely competitive AF.

Some of you are fatalistic. And some seem to enjoy wallowing in it. It’s not like there’s some cosmic conspiracy against us.

We’ve had some bad bounces and some bad execution along the way, but we’re not cursed. Our time will come.

"Along the way" for me is nearing 50 years.

A shocker that Memphis and Penny are charged with lack of institutional control.

I spy with my little eye.... Somebody who .... Hasn't been a Wake fan for very long.

Gonzaga went to the championship last year. St Peter’s is in the elite eight. These facts don’t jive with your theory.

For the sake of discussion I consider the "power" conferences in basketball as the ACC, the B1G, the SEC, the Big 12, the Big East and the PAC.

In the past fifty years Marquette (19777), Louisville (1980) and UNLV (1990) are the only teams to win the championship from a conference other those six.

Twelve other teams from outside of the power conferences have played in the championship and lost.

Those are the facts and probably the basis for my theory. I enjoy rooting for the underdogs and am usually disappointed when they fail to win it all. Just an opinion.

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - Tournament Time: NCAA, NIT, CBI amd TBC

For the sake of discussion I consider the "power" conferences in basketball as the ACC, the B1G, the SEC, the Big 12, the Big East and the PAC.

In the past fifty years Marquette (19777), Louisville (1980) and UNLV (1990) are the only teams to win the championship from a conference other those six.

Twelve other teams from outside of the power conferences have played in the championship and lost.

Those are the facts and probably the basis for my theory. I enjoy rooting for the underdogs and am usually disappointed when they fail to win it all. Just an opinion.

So 50 years means 100 total championship contenders.

Kentucky: 7
Duke: 10
UNC: 8
Kansas: 5
UCLA: 5
Indiana: 4
Total: 39

So with the exception of 6 blue blood elite programs those 6 conferences you mentioned have 46 title game appearances, vs the outside programs having 15. 46 vs 15 doesn’t seem that lopsided.

Last edited:
That’s extremely lopsided. Those 15 teams come from the vast majority of conferences.

Someone needs to tell those Dukies in the right bottom corner they don’t need to jump. They’re not in Cameron.

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - Tournament Time: NCAA, NIT, CBI amd TBC

That’s extremely lopsided. Those 15 teams come from the vast majority of conferences.

Someone needs to tell those Dukies in the right bottom corner they don’t need to jump. They’re not in Cameron.

Eh, I disagree. Add a few more teams like UCONN, Villanova, Louisville to the blue blood list and you have 10 programs with as many title game appearances as the rest of the major conference members combined. Take the historically 6 weakest programs (36 teams) from each conference and count their title game appearances - I bet it’s less than 15. Conference money and stability keeps programs alive and on tv, but I don’t think membership by itself gives a team any better chance of making it to the title game, other than providing a better mathematical chance of making the tournament.

Last edited:
Eh, I disagree. Add a few more teams like UCONN, Villanova, Louisville to the blue blood list and you have 10 programs with as many title game appearances as the rest of the major conference members combined. Take the historically 6 weakest programs (36 teams) from each conference and count their title game appearances - I bet it’s less than 15. Conference money and stability keeps programs alive and on tv, but I don’t think membership by itself gives a team any better chance of making it to the title game, other than providing a better mathematical chance of making the tournament.

My original comment was in reference to Pilchard's original question (post #2588 page 130) of why Gonzaga hasn't won a championship. I added another possible reason.

You can rig the numbers any way you want for the sake of argument. The fact of the matter remains that 47 of the past 50 NCAA champions were members of a power conference. That alone suggests that my comment may have some validity.

My original comment was in reference to Pilchard's original question (post #2588 page 130) of why Gonzaga hasn't won a championship. I added another possible reason.

You can rig the numbers any way you want for the sake of argument. The fact of the matter remains that 47 of the past 50 NCAA champions were members of a power conference. That alone suggests that my comment may have some validity.

Those teams I mentioned have been winning championships since the literal beginning of the NCAA - do you think your current definition of “power conference” would fit in say 1960? I don’t believe it would. I think your point is too broad, that you are giving conference membership (without providing caveats) far too much credit for individual programs tournament success.

I just did the research, the current 14 member SEC has 12 total title game appearances in 50 years, Kentucky has 7, Florida 3, Arkansas 2. That’s 11 teams with nada, most haven’t even been to a final four. If conference membership alone were so important to going to the *title game* than more conference members would do it, and not just the same few teams.

ACC: 27 title game appearances, UNC/Duke/Louisville/Syracuse responsible for 24 of them. NC State: 2, Georgia Tech 1 - 5 of those title games occurred while 2 teams were in different conferences.

Last edited:
Back