• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Paying them out in the open now is a whole different ball game. And the NIL money is MUCH more money than the under the table crap that has been there a long time.

Plus, illegal payments were not made to keep a borderline player to stay in school. That money went to great players to COME to your school.

How much money was happening under the table?

Wait, so Bacot is 6'10 and has been averaging like 20 rebounds per game down the stretch, and Hubert talks him into returning?

Yuck.

Dude may have some 30 rebound games next year.

Would not rule out a sweet NLI offer for Jake dependent on his return. WF is not playing the same game as KY, but WF does have some avenues to take care of its athletes as well.

What is really going to butt-hurt fans of programs like Wake is when a guy like Jake decides to come back for the NIL $$, but it's for a better "offer" at one of the bigger schools.

What is really going to butt-hurt fans of programs like Wake is when a guy like Jake decides to come back for the NIL $$, but it's for a better "offer" at one of the bigger schools.

suspect that may have already happened under the table in football

You can test the waters as many times as you would like now, they changed it a couple years back

Yeah, which is why I think that entire UNC team is coming back like they did in 2009 / 2017. I think Bacot tests the water if Love is gone. I don't think UNC can be a title contender if Love leaves.

I’m not the talent evaluator many of you are, but I’m surprised that Bacot couldn’t have even just a decent journeyman career in the NBA. Then again I guess the draft boards don’t lie.

I’m not the talent evaluator many of you are, but I’m surprised that Bacot couldn’t have even just a decent journeyman career in the NBA. Then again I guess the draft boards don’t lie.

I think Bacot is going to have trouble making it longterm in the NBA. Likely make bank in Europe if he wants to, but 6' 10" and rebounding is your calling card isn't enough to cut it in the NBA these days. You need that AND to be an elite scorer, or you need that rebounding edge plus being an absolute lockdown defender and Bacot just isn't that. Caleb Love at UNC is likely the best pro prospect out of their starting five this past year, in my opinion.

He probably can, but he doesn't have the game to be drafted beyond late 2nd round. The NBA draft is more about potential now than it is college results. It also explains why there are a lot of busts in the NBA Draft

How much money was happening under the table?

Well we know it wasn't millions to tons of individual players. That would be absolutely impossible to hide. Many were caught doing it and it was never much money at all by comparison.

He probably can, but he doesn't have the game to be drafted beyond late 2nd round. The NBA draft is more about potential now than it is college results. It also explains why there are a lot of busts in the NBA Draft

There have always been a lot of busts. The college fans and pro game are very different. The big question is how a productive college player can improve and mold their game for the NBA. The NBA drafts on potential because there are high potential players in the draft. They don’t want to pass up on a guy who will be great in 4-5 years to take a productive college guy.

I love the NBA. I just can't for the life of me get into college basketball anymore. I am a season ticket holder for Wake bball but I dont think I watched a college bball game this regular season other than a Wake game. And I hate to say this especially here, but I also have Hornets season tix and I absolutely enjoyed the Hornets games more. It's just a much better product.

I remember Bacot being a strong lean to leave, but then Kessler transferred to Auburn and Brooks went to Miss St and he was suddenly staring at a much bigger role.

Talk about a shitty coaching job - Roy had 4 -7 footers, and barely got into the dance to be blasted by a bad Wisconsin team last year.
Kessler - first round Draft Pick
Sharpe - already in the NBA
Brooks - Preseason ACC POY of the Year - had to transfer - out of embarrassment? (dont ever let anyone tell you the ACC media doesnt have a favorite).
Bacot - tested the waters, not an NBA player. Finishes 2nd in ACC POY, comes back for another year because the Russian Pro Leagues are closed, and he makes more money at UNC.

No wonder Roy quit.

Yeah, which is why I think that entire UNC team is coming back like they did in 2009 / 2017. I think Bacot tests the water if Love is gone. I don't think UNC can be a title contender if Love leaves.

This UNC team lived and died by the 3. Without Manek, there will be issues spreading the floor, and I doubt UNC will return to the Final 4 playing the same type of hero ball.

Talk about a shitty coaching job - Roy had 4 -7 footers, and barely got into the dance to be blasted by a bad Wisconsin team last year.
Brooks - Preseason ACC POY of the Year - had to transfer - out of embarrassment? (dont ever let anyone tell you the ACC media doesnt have a favorite).
Bacot - tested the waters, not an NBA player. Finishes 2nd in ACC POY, comes back for another year because the Russian Pro Leagues are closed, and he makes more money at UNC.

No wonder Roy quit.

UNC went to the finals 3 out of the last 6 years (2 with Roy) and won one of them (also with Roy). I dunno but that seems pretty good.

No wonder Roy quit.

I think Roy quit because he had no interest in the recruiting/transfer portal aspects of college basketball anymore. I think part of that is probably why K chose to retire now too, although K had the OADs locked down in his final 5-6 years at Duke. Roy looked tired in 2021 and his style of basketball is not what recruits wanted to play anymore.

This UNC team lived and died by the 3. Without Manek, there will be issues spreading the floor, and I doubt UNC will return to the Final 4 playing the same type of hero ball.

Losing Manek will hurt, but he can be replaced by more than 1 player. If Love doesn't return, you're right, I don't see UNC returning to the Final 4.

That said, UNC lost 2 starters from their 2016 team and still came back and won it all in 2017.

Manek was a good college player who worked well with Bacot. That’s not a guarantee with a lot of college bigs.

Back