• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

There was a ton to gain from it. We had almost an entirely new team. They needed to learn to play together without being beaten down by a bunch of good teams. Was it too easy? Probably, but usually 4ish P5 teams is a normal OOC. We had no idea that Oregon State would be god awful. We probably should've added one more P5 game. I'm fine with basically every other game we played.

Wake is way ahead of schedule this season and, as mentioned, probably needed those games to get actual game time together for a bunch of guys that just met in the off season. I wouldn't expect Forbes to schedule that weak again, but it was completely justified this season.

Agreed on this season. Forbes has rebuilt the program, so going forward we will be hunting for bids each season. A weak occ makes that difficult.

Listened to Forbes' radio show tonight.

Yeah, we definitely have to worry about losing him to Iowa down the road.... his "one and only" favorite team.

He said he could care less about Iowa State.

Updated ACC Conference games efficiency (I.e. how good have teams been in conference games):

1) Duke +14.9
2) Wake +9.6
3) UNC +6.9
4) Miami +5.9
5) Syracuse +5.2
6) Notre Dame +4.7
7) VT +2.7
8) UVA +0.6
9) Clemson -4.0
10) NC State -5.1
11) Louisville -7.3
12) Pitt -7.3
13) BC -8.4
14) Florida St -9
15) GT -9.5

Listened to Forbes' radio show tonight.

Yeah, we definitely have to worry about losing him to Iowa down the road.... his "one and only" favorite team.

He said he could care less about Iowa State.

I felt the same after watching his pregame interview yesterday too :/

That's cool that he's talking about Iowa being his one and only favorite team right now!

I think Franny has at least 5-6 good years left in him.

There was a point when it looked like Iowa's season was going off the rails, but they have won 4 of 5. Kind of a perfect situation for those concerned whether Forbes might want that job as McCaffrey hasn't done enough to get an offer from an uber-elite program, but enough to keep his job in Iowa City.

I flipped back and forth between UNC/Louisville and BC/FSU. I am not sure there were 500 people at BC last night. Just pathetic attendance. I know the team is bad, but my goodness.

The northeast doesn't care about college sports at all.

How did you come across that random clip with 11 views?

I know there are some make up games, possibly, going on but how does the ACC let this schedule happen

Monday: 3 games at 7pm
Tues: 1 game
Wed: 4 games at 7pm, 1 game at 9pm.

Of course ESPN drives this, but it's bad marketing and has to reduce viewership.

Of course ESPN drives this, but it's bad marketing and has to reduce viewership.

What percentage of the viewership of a college basketball game between unranked teams is a neutral viewer that isn't a fan of either team playing? I'd assume less than 10%. In that case, these games happening at the same time doesn't affect viewership all that much, because these games aren't competing for the same viewers.

Access to Bally or ACCNX is probably a much bigger factor than the games happening simultaneously.

Even if it’s only 10%, that scheduling splits that 10%.

Even if it’s only 10%, that scheduling splits that 10%.

Obviously? My point was that the actual number of viewers being split is so low that the ACC doesn't care.

There can't be more than a couple hundred people that were going to watch Wake Forest vs. Clemson tomorrow and instead are going to watch one of Duke/UVA, NC State/BC, or Syracuse/Notre Dame. And there's even fewer viewers that are skipping the Wake game for one of the others but would have watched both games if given the chance.

And then that has to be balanced against actual attendance at games. We’ve seen how well 6pm on a Monday or 9pm on a weeknight draws fans to the arena.

What percentage of the viewership of a college basketball game between unranked teams is a neutral viewer that isn't a fan of either team playing? I'd assume less than 10%. In that case, these games happening at the same time doesn't affect viewership all that much, because these games aren't competing for the same viewers.

Access to Bally or ACCNX is probably a much bigger factor than the games happening simultaneously.

This was referenced by Stan during the post-game discussion on Saturday. He didn't specifically mention Bally but indicated that quite a few fans reached out to say they were listening to the radio broadcast because they couldn't watch the game on TV.

Anyone know how many years are on the Bally contract? Crazy that they can't negotiate or don't want a contract with the popular streaming services.

This was referenced by Stan during the post-game discussion on Saturday. He didn't specifically mention Bally but indicated that quite a few fans reached out to say they were listening to the radio broadcast because they couldn't watch the game on TV.

Anyone know how many years are on the Bally contract? Crazy that they can't negotiate or don't want a contract with the popular streaming services.

it's stupid Sinclair being mad at Google

Obviously? My point was that the actual number of viewers being split is so low that the ACC doesn't care.

There can't be more than a couple hundred people that were going to watch Wake Forest vs. Clemson tomorrow and instead are going to watch one of Duke/UVA, NC State/BC, or Syracuse/Notre Dame. And there's even fewer viewers that are skipping the Wake game for one of the others but would have watched both games if given the chance.

That might be the case in January, but right now there is actual interest in the various games.
Wake
ND
UVA

The games have big implications for those 3 fan bases. Given the chance to watch games that affect our seeding I'd be doing that.

I flipped back and forth between UNC/Louisville and BC/FSU. I am not sure there were 500 people at BC last night. Just pathetic attendance. I know the team is bad, but my goodness.

The northeast doesn't care about college sports at all.

Hockey generally draws well. BC averages over 4000 a game, and many of the NE colleges hit 50% capacity or better. But generally, you are correct.

Back