• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Louisville is the septic tank of the ACC. Worst addition in conference history. West Virginia is Stanford by comparison.

Auburn has ascended to #1. Believe its the first time in school history. Bruce Pearl is shady, but credit to him for succeeding at a program with no basketball tradition outside of Barclay and Chuck Person.

Deep connections between Forbes and Bruce Pearl. I assume that they are still close, but not sure after the NCAA essentially caused every coach in that program to fend for themselves and rebuild his career.

Also, "The Big Ten and Big East have five ranked teams apiece, followed by the SEC and Big 12 with four each. The Pac-12 has three and the ACC, American Athletic, West Coast and Atlantic 10 each have one." Barf.

Last edited:
VaTech throwing the game away. Literally. Two bad passes on last two possessions.

Auburn has ascended to #1. Believe its the first time in school history. Bruce Pearl is shady, but credit to him for succeeding at a program with no basketball tradition outside of Barclay and Chuck Person.

Deep connections between Forbes and Bruce Pearl. I assume that they are still close, but not sure after the NCAA essentially caused every coach in that program to fend for themselves and rebuild his career.

Also, "The Big Ten and Big East have five ranked teams apiece, followed by the SEC and Big 12 with four each. The Pac-12 has three and the ACC, American Athletic, West Coast and Atlantic 10 each have one." Barf.

One of the key players in Auburn's rise is Walker Kessler, who transferred from UNC last season. It was a big blow to Roy Williams and some UNC fans blame his decision to transfer on Roy's subsequent decision to retire. They're also pretty salty over the success that Kessler and Auburn are having right now. Just one reason to enjoy watching Auburn move to #1 - it's driving UNC fans nuts.

I’m in this weird space where I’m optimistic about Wake hoops but I don’t follow national hoops so I don’t know how good we really are.

I’m in this weird space where I’m optimistic about Wake hoops but I don’t follow national hoops so I don’t know how good we really are.

Neither does anybody else. We lost to some good teams early, had some close wins over teams that were so-so. Now we are embarrassing other ACC teams not named Duke. Wake is clearly better now than at Thanksgiving. How much better? Hard to say.

The remaining road games will be one measure. Then the ACC Tournament. Then the NCAA Tournament.

IMHO, Wake is top 20. But won't be recognized as such until March

After our Miami game, we were #65 in Kenpom and had more or less been the same team from the start of the year to that point — pretty good on both ends but some inconsistencies that resulted in the close games with VMI/Charlotte (Jake was out for these), Oregon st, northwestern, loss to Louisville. Good trajectory but we hadn’t turned it up a notch yet.

In the 7 games starting with Florida St, we’ve been 16.9 points per 100 possessions better than our opponents in raw terms, which would be tops in ACC play. 5 were at home, so I’ll make the adjustment to each, and then I’ll adjust for opponent strength based on their Kenpom Adjusted Efficiency (what team’s overall rankings stem from). The result is:

Last 7: +25.61, which would be 9th in Kenpom, right between Kansas and Duke.
Last 4: +32.27, which would be #1.

Our defense has been consistently awesome, with an average PP100 of 89.9. Relative to what opponents had done on the season this has been great, ranging from +7 (Duke game) to +38, holding those 7 teams all below their season long adjusted offensive efficiency, and doing so by 19.8 points per 100 over that 7 game stretch.

The offense has been 7.9PP100 better on average than what those teams give up, with the first three averaging right at what our opponents give up and the three since Monsanto joined at 15.8 points better.

WTF happened to Louvul and Mack in the last 2 years? They used to be good, especially on D. They got down big early to UVA last night, and UVA kept them at bay the rest of the game. UVA mostly got good shots too, something they rarely do. This is the worst Mack team I've ever seen.

Ph, I think we're very good by ACC standards, but we're going to have a tough time in the dance as an 8-10 seed, as will Miami, UNC and FSU. When you go watch a game like UVA/Louvul and then come home and watch Kansas/TT, the difference is stark. I wouldn't be surprised if no ACC team survives the 1st weekend.

I'm happy that we're a #8 seed in Bracketology already. It gives us a good chance to get up to a #6 seed or higher.

Last edited:
I'm happy that we're a #8 seed in Bracketology already. It gives us a good chance to get up to a #6 seed or higher.

Six seed is where I see Wake. Finish top 3 in regular season. Second in ACC Tournament. (Nobody beating Duke in K's final ACC Tournament). I could see that getting Wake a six seed.

Same. I think our OOC puts a ceiling on how far up we can go unless we win the ACCT. I'm really comfortable with a #6 seed. Get a floundering First Four team in the 1st and avoid the top top teams in the 2nd.

Same. I think our OOC puts a ceiling on how far up we can go unless we win the ACCT. I'm really comfortable with a #6 seed. Get a floundering First Four team in the 1st and avoid the top top teams in the 2nd.

Blow out some "I'm happy to just get in" 11 seed. Then give some #3 seed an "oh shit" them? day. Play second weekend.

Exactly. That's why the #6 seed is the next best seed behind 1, 2, and 3. Avoid those tricky #12 and #13 seeds and avoid the #1 seed until the Elite Eight.

If the Deacs win out do they slide into the final 1 seed or is 2 the highest they could hope for?

Back