• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thanks and congrats to our mtn friends up in Boone

Pdog !

I always pull for App except when they ask us to add them to our schedule. Then I say I have a long memory about opponents who go for ties preventing us from going to a bowl and them going to their little playoffs. I think in about 15 years, my 50 year grudge over that may be relieved...

(That said, I did enjoy my visit there a few years ago. A little too close for comfort, hence why we shouldn't play them!)

WF does not need to help Appy any more than it already has. No need to regularly schedule them. It is an obvious point but needs to be repeated apparently. Glad Appy beat the most over inflated of the Carolinas. If WF takes care of business they’ll prove they’re not over inflated to a lot of skeptics

This debate has been held numerous times previously, but given a choice to watch ODU or App St v Wake at Groves, give me App every time.

I'm torn, because now we bump up when we win but I'm also gonna have to listen to a bunch obnoxious-ass App fans cry about having a relevant football team again.

Pdog !

I always pull for App except when they ask us to add them to our schedule. Then I say I have a long memory about opponents who go for ties preventing us from going to a bowl and them going to their little playoffs. I think in about 15 years, my 50 year grudge over that may be relieved...

(That said, I did enjoy my visit there a few years ago. A little too close for comfort, hence why we shouldn't play them!)

Remind me again about this?

Bjorn Nittmo hit a late short field goal for App State to tie up the game 34-34 in W-S in 1988. Bowl reps were at the game to invite Wake but slinked out after the tie.

Bjorn Nittmo hit a late short field goal for App State to tie up the game 34-34 in W-S in 1988. Bowl reps were at the game to invite Wake but slinked out after the tie.

They not only cost us a bowl bid but they kept themselves out of the 1-AA playoffs that year. If they had gone for 2 and won, they would have made it in. But they would rather have tied us.

As I recall, it was after a late TD. They chose to go for the kicked extra point to tie, rather than a 2 to win, or lose.
They 'knew' a tie would keep us out of a bowl offer. No overtime back then.

As I recall, it was after a late TD. They chose to go for the kicked extra point to tie, rather than a 2 to win, or lose.
They 'knew' a tie would keep us out of a bowl offer. No overtime back then.

This correct.

And there weren’t many bowls back then. It was Mike Elkins’ senior year. We rarely made a bowl at that time. It sucked. I’ll never forgive Sparky Woods.

We shouldn't have let them be in a position to tie us with a bowl on the line. Remember that gut punch very well!

Honestly it’s amazing how that story gets recounted every year on the boards. I get it; we are football fans and we carry long memories, particularly of the pains and hardships. This one is a scar that won’t seem to heal!

Anyway kudos to the Mountaineers for hopefully giving us a boost in the rankings and poking a hole in the myth of Coastal Carolina.

And there weren’t many bowls back then. It was Mike Elkins’ senior year. We rarely made a bowl at that time. It sucked. I’ll never forgive Sparky Woods.

There weren't. In the 80's we had 3 winning seasons- 1984 (6-5) 1987 (7-4) 1988 (6-4-1) but no bowl bids.

Back