• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thanks and congrats to our mtn friends up in Boone

That’s also why Lake Forest is more recognizable nationally than Wake Forest too. Plenty of people have a connection to a lake. LOL.

Lake Forest is more recognizable because it is the location of Naval Station Great Lakes, the Navy's largest training facility.

Avoiding APP and in particular a guaranteed sell-out at our place is pretty much LOWF. For years the argument was they were FCS and therefore too much to lose/nothing to gain. Now they're FBS and for the most part thanks to Clawson and the fact we play in a P5 and never on a Tuesday or Wednesday, we don't recruit the same level of players anymore, but still nothing to gain/too much to lose (a few headlines in the W-S Journal that nobody reads anymore; that's about it IMO). So they beat us once in a blue moon and it's their Super Bowl, who cares? I'm sure Norfolk State, ODU, Army and possible future opponents like ECU and Charlotte would feel the same way if they were to beat us. APP beat UNC two years ago; best I can tell both programs moved on fairly quickly afterwards.

ASU was a great FCS program and is in a neat, isolated little resort town with a very cool stadium (will be better when remove the track and get a real video board). But the Sunbelt is full of teams from Alabama and Louisiana who nobody cares about. They need to upgrade to Conference USA with Charlotte. Must add that the ASU fans were yelling “no bowl” at the end of that gut punch of a game. We were real rivals back then. We hated one another.

the track has been gone for 2+ years, they just laid new turf recently too, and opened a brand new, gorgeous field house.

Why play a game against a team that wants to beat you more than any other team that they play? Especially when we gain nothing from winning except a W on the schedule. It doesn't help recruiting or media exposure. If we are going to play a local team, we need a guaranteed W. If we want to play a more difficult opponent, it needs to be a team from another P5 school that gives us better media exposure and puts us in front of recruits.

Avoiding APP and in particular a guaranteed sell-out at our place is pretty much LOWF. For years the argument was they were FCS and therefore too much to lose/nothing to gain. Now they're FBS and for the most part thanks to Clawson and the fact we play in a P5 and never on a Tuesday or Wednesday, we don't recruit the same level of players anymore, but still nothing to gain/too much to lose (a few headlines in the W-S Journal that nobody reads anymore; that's about it IMO). So they beat us once in a blue moon and it's their Super Bowl, who cares? I'm sure Norfolk State, ODU, Army and possible future opponents like ECU and Charlotte would feel the same way if they were to beat us. APP beat UNC two years ago; best I can tell both programs moved on fairly quickly afterwards.

Yes.

Why play a game against a team that wants to beat you more than any other team that they play? Especially when we gain nothing from winning except a W on the schedule. It doesn't help recruiting or media exposure. If we are going to play a local team, we need a guaranteed W. If we want to play a more difficult opponent, it needs to be a team from another P5 school that gives us better media exposure and puts us in front of recruits.

We whine all the time on this board about our non-con schedule being weak (ODU, Norfolk State, VMI etc.), but we're afraid to play a competitive program 80 miles up the road that will guarantee an extra 10K in ticket sales b/c they really, really...I mean REALLY want to beat us? LOWF strikes again.

. So they beat us once in a blue moon and it's their Super Bowl, who cares? I'm sure Norfolk State, ODU, Army and possible future opponents like ECU and Charlotte would feel the same way if they were to beat us. APP beat UNC two years ago; best I can tell both programs moved on fairly quickly afterwards.

This is not the same thing at all. App fans have a long standing inferiority complex when it comes to Wake. While all the schools you mention would love to beat Wake, it means something more to App St. It's like Wake and UNC. There is a reason that the largest attendance App has ever had at their stadium is when we played there in 2017.

It could also indicate that the game draws more interest because it’s two regional teams. A game people want to watch makes sense to play. If we want to keep the best local players home, then winning meaningful local games that garner lots of attention helps.

It could also indicate that the game draws more interest because it’s two regional teams. A game people want to watch makes sense to play. If we want to keep the best local players home, then winning meaningful local games that garner lots of attention helps.

Recruits aren't picking Wake because App St./ECU/UNCC are on the schedule.

And those games aren't being televised beyond the ACCN, unless we play them on a Thursday/Friday.

Recruits are going to be interested in teams that play interesting games that get media coverage. We go play other lower level schools to get local coverage and interest.
I think continuing to dominate App with lots of local interest and coverage is good for recruiting.

Back