• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs ranked 13th in Coaches Poll

Highest ranking since Peahead Walker and the leather helmets.

Read up on Peahead and did not realize President Tribble low-balled Peahead on an - already approved by the Board of Trustees - salary increase back in the day. So, Peahead left.

Sounded like a Wellman move to me.

Highest ranking since Peahead Walker and the leather helmets.

Read up on Peahead and did not realize President Tribble low-balled Peahead on an - already approved by the Board of Trustees - salary increase back in the day. So, Peahead left.

Sounded like a Wellman move to me.

yeah - Tribble apparently reneged on an offer to raise Walker's pay to $9,000, so Walker left to be an assistant coach for his friend at Yale before subsequently moving to the CFL

I never liked Tribble Hall anyway

yeah - Tribble apparently reneged on an offer to raise Walker's pay to $9,000, so Walker left to be an assistant coach for his friend at Yale before subsequently moving to the CFL

I never liked Tribble Hall anyway

$102K in today’s money.

While I'm thrilled that we're ranked where we are, I do think it's BS that a 7-0 ACC team isn't in the Top 10. No way a 7-0 Clempson or F$U against the exact same opponents wouldn't be Top 10 and most likely Top 5.

Just got to keep winning and prove the voters wrong.

After the defensive performance we put on, 13 is probably too good of a ranking.

For the offensive performance, 13 is too low.

defense was on the field for 43 minutes against an exhausting offense

not too worried about dook

From Sports Illustrated’s Pat Forde:

Oklahoma and Northern Illinois have the most one-score wins in the nation with five. The Sooners’ average margin of victory against FBS opponents is 8.9 points. Wake Forest, also undefeated, has an FBS average victory margin of 15.5 points against a slightly weaker schedule. There isn’t much daylight separating the two programs on paper, but there is in the polls: Oklahoma is nine spots higher than the Demon Deacons in both major polls.

#9 in The Athletic 130

The Athletic 130 college football rankings: Oregon still deserves to be ahead of Ohio State https://theathletic.com/2910483/202...ead-of-ohio-state/?source=user_shared_article

———-

The Sooners have five one-possession wins and have struggled against some not-great teams, the latest being Kansas. They also don’t have any truly great wins, unless you count 4-3 Texas. But the same can be said for the undefeated teams behind them. The gap between Oklahoma at No. 4 and Wake Forest at No. 9 is very, very small. Michigan and Michigan State finally get a shot at a major win when they face off on Saturday. The winner may jump into the top four next week.

Wake Forest and Ole Miss also slide into the top 10. The Demon Deacons put up 70 on Army (impressive!) but gave up 56 (not good!), while Ole Miss beat LSU.

Might of missed it, but Wake (18) 42 over Auburn (13) 38 to move to 14th in 1979. Not quite Wake - Army. :)

Easily top 5 game all time, especially if you add in being ranked and playing a ranked power 5 team.

ESPN’s College Football Playoff Top 25 show ragged on the defense right after excusing Cincy for a lackluster Navy performance in the previous segment. They seemed to be trying to make the case against an undefeated Wake making the playoff. Said we may not play a ranked team. It was a pat on the back, “this is a magical season” type talk.

Galloway - “If they run the table, it will be amazing regardless of the playoff.”

Rece - “Even if they win 10 games…”

We really need our ACC brethren to show up against ND so that Cincy win won't look like a signature win.

I know it's UNC and all but I hope they fucking throttle ND. It'll serve three purposes. 1) Fuck ND. 2) Takes the luster off of the Cincy win. 3) It'll make beating them in Chapel Hill more fun.

I'm still worried that the CFP will find a way to justify putting Cincy ahead of undefeated Wake on the basis of "we didn't think Wake would be good this year." The only thing that comforts me is that not putting Wake in the playoff would state that beating 9 probably 10 P5 conference teams and an independent bowl team (Army should finish at least 7-5). Think about that. We could play and beat every other team in the ACC except the three of the four worst Coastal teams. Every ACC team we play is 2 or fewer wins from bowl eligibility. FSU needs 3 and has Clemson, State, Miami, BC, and UF. Three is doable. 13-0 with 11 wins over bowl teams and we may not make the playoff due to confirmation bias.

Maybe the ACC sucks because they figure why try cause Wake is so much better

I'm still worried that the CFP will find a way to justify putting Cincy ahead of undefeated Wake on the basis of "we didn't think Wake would be good this year." The only thing that comforts me is that not putting Wake in the playoff would state that beating 9 probably 10 P5 conference teams and an independent bowl team (Army should finish at least 7-5). Think about that. We could play and beat every other team in the ACC except the three of the four worst Coastal teams. Every ACC team we play is 2 or fewer wins from bowl eligibility. FSU needs 3 and has Clemson, State, Miami, BC, and UF. Three is doable. 13-0 with 11 wins over bowl teams and we may not make the playoff due to confirmation bias.

And then every school recruiting against us can say "You can never make a playoff game at Wake, no matter how good you are. Wake won the ACC as an undefeated team and is the first P5 team to be left out of the playoff. Come to [insert P5 team here] and that won't happen." To be clear, I believe any undefeated P5 team gets in before Cincy.

Cincinnati is joining a real conference so they can make the playoffs. Until then an undefeated P5 is a better prospect than them.

One argument is that things will take care of themselves.

Cincy has only played one of the 3 AAC teams with a winning record.
Oklahoma still hasn't played any of the 5 or 6 win teams in the Big XII.

Back