• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DEACS BEWARE-of Duke's triple option!

JOJESMA

Reaction score
Believe it or not but Cutcliffe ran the triple option at Duke in the 2019 season.

Duke has had 2 weeks to prepare for the Deacs. Plus, after watching the Army game, I would not be surprised to see Cutcliffe make drastic changes in his offense for the Deacs. He may not go as drastic as pure triple option(as he defiinitly did in 2019) but we will probably see different wrinkles to put the ball in Mateo Durants hands for 30-40+ times.

He can do whatever he wants to do. Makes no difference. I guarantee we see a different Wake defense this Saturday. I'm gonna go on a limb and say Duke doesn't reach 14 points this week.

I mean if hes only gonna put those in after the army game he would only have one week to make those drastic changes.

Cutcliffe could try that, but he would be telling his team evrything we have taught you since spring training doesn't work. No way his players buy into that bullshit.

I mean if hes only gonna put those in after the army game he would only have one week to make those drastic changes.

And to disastrous effect. You can't institute that type of offense in a week unless it's going to be Pop Warner levels of simple and even then it would be all sorts of fucked up.

Cutcliffe could try that, but he would be telling his team evrything we have taught you since spring training doesn't work. No way his players buy into that bullshit.

Actually there’s little he’s taught them since spring ball that has worked.

I'll let the D know this afternoon during practice.

Duke is really good at fumbling the football. 2.3 turnovers per game. If they ran option they might double that total.

I'm a WF fan so...always cautious; and our injury reports are cause for concern, but we should crush Duke

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Duke doesn't run the Triple Option as well as Army does... call me crazy.

After we knocked Army’s starting QB out, I didn’t think they even ran the triple option particularly well. It was really just a double option for most of the game where they either dove it up the middle or the QB rolled and didn’t even need to pitch. The Army fans sitting next to me were saying that neither of the other 2 QB’s could throw the ball, and one of them (#2 I think) couldn’t even pitch it consistently.

Last edited:
After we knocked Army’s starting QB out, I didn’t think they ran the triple option particularly well. It was really just a double option for most of the game where they either dove it up the middle or the QB rolled and didn’t even need to pitch.

and...#2 Tyler never threw the football. He is a shiftier runner than #1 Lewis (who completed all of their passes except for Anderson's on the first player of the game) but he is no threat to throw. Surely we knew this, or figured this out, during the game - and we still struggled mightily to stop them

Exactly. They said they also didn’t expect the starter to come back in, bc while beating a ranked Wake team would be great, they still valued the commanders cup above all.

I think Duke will score more than 14 but defensive issues aside, how the hell is Duke going to stop Wake from scoring 35+?

I think Duke will score more than 14 but defensive issues aside, how the hell is Duke going to stop Wake from scoring 35+?

I don't think they can. If we don't score at least 35 it's not going to be because of anything Duke did.

We had no answer for that Army FB.. he must have been pushing 265 lbs.. if I were Duke I'd put some monster DL/OL in there and do FB dive every play.

Should be a comfortable win, but we definitely have to shore up the D before the gauntlet that starts after Duke.

Duke won't cut/chop block to the extent that Army does. That should lead to some improvement from the Deacon defense.

I doubt Clawson reveals the extent and severity of the injuries to the defense, but that is a point of concern. I doubt that there is much depth on D.

Duke won't cut/chop block to the extent that Army does. That should lead to some improvement from the Deacon defense.

I doubt Clawson reveals the extent and severity of the injuries to the defense, but that is a point of concern. I doubt that there is much depth on D.

Well, if you listened to his postgame comments, he basically enumerated our many issues and injured players on defense.

I stopped counting the non call chop blocks about middle of the second quarter on Army. Perfectly legal to block low, but their players blocked low while our Dline were engaged on other oline. That is illegal and never called Saturday.

Back