• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Trip to Spain in the Spring - Advice?

Man this thread is making me wistful. Did a semester in Salamanca spring 06 and went all around the country and have done a few trips since but I think it's been close to a decade since I've been back. Echo the San Sebastian recommendation. Should try and at least hit the Guggenheim in Bilbao if you go to SS. Madrid is great, but I prefer Barcelona as a city, but you will enjoy both, especially as a first timer. The Reina Sofia is my favorite art museum in the world, and a must. Sevilla is a city that feels like quintessential Spain, with the tiled roofs, flamenco, bullfighting, etc. When people picture Spain, that's probably what they think of.

Echo trying to get tickets to a soccer match. Haven't been to the new Atletico stadium, but the Bernabeu and Camp Nou (Barcelona) are very special.

I'd avoid Valencia if you're thinking about it. Salamanca is fantastic but off the beaten track unless your kid is there. But, Segovia and Avila are on the way to it from Madrid and worth visiting.

Madrid is great, but I prefer Barcelona as a city, but you will enjoy both, especially as a first timer. The Reina Sofia is my favorite art museum in the world, and a must. Sevilla is a city that feels like quintessential Spain, with the tiled roofs, flamenco, bullfighting, etc. When people picture Spain, that's probably what they think of.

Hemingway claimed Madrid to be the most Spanish of all the cities, though I agree with you about it being Sevilla, but who are we to argue with Papa.

If you are a Hemingway enthusiast then Botin's (Sobrina de Botin) in Madrid is a can't miss.

Hemingway claimed Madrid to be the most Spanish of all the cities, though I agree with you about it being Sevilla, but who are we to argue with Papa.

If you are a Hemingway enthusiast then Botin's (Sobrina de Botin) in Madrid is a can't miss.

In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders, dry and white in the sun, and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves, stirred by the breeze, falling and the soldiers marching and afterwards the road bare and white except for the leaves. Alas as a pedophile and a racist, these memories of nature are much less furtive than those of the anuses I took to without permission. Shortly I shall leave to watch bulls die to make myself feel both more masculine and also, since I am a psychopath, to watch the quick dribble of blood from the first stab, then the spurting as the unknowing animal thrashes through its last breath. More commas shall be used soon, and I ask for pardons for my punctuational and carnal sins.

In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders, dry and white in the sun, and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves, stirred by the breeze, falling and the soldiers marching and afterwards the road bare and white except for the leaves. Alas as a pedophile and a racist, these memories of nature are much less furtive than those of the anuses I took to without permission. Shortly I shall leave to watch bulls die to make myself feel both more masculine and also, since I am a psychopath, to watch the quick dribble of blood from the first stab, then the spurting as the unknowing animal thrashes through its last breath. More commas shall be used soon, and I ask for pardons for my punctuational and carnal sins.

Go on ...

My son is at UNC and in the B-school. He will be attending the ICADE Business School in Madrid center.

Seconding someone's earlier comment about San Sebastián. Best food I've ever had

“We lunched upstairs at Botin’s. It is one of the best restaurants in the world. We had roast young suckling pig and drank rioja alta. Brett did not eat much. She never ate much. I ate a very big meal and drank three bottles of rioja alta.”

I did this alone and got hammered. I felt very literary though.

Somebody in here shitting on Hemingway?

Madrid is one place I haven't been to, but I recommend doing half your trip in Madrid and half in another region (Catalunya, Basque, Andalucía).

Ronda (in Andalucía) is probably my "most Spanish" town. And George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" is the best.

Renting a car with a family of 4 is easy.

Madrid is one place I haven't been to, but I recommend doing half your trip in Madrid and half in another region (Catalunya, Basque, Andalucía).

Ronda (in Andalucía) is probably my "most Spanish" town. And George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" is the best.

Renting a car with a family of 4 is easy.

Ronda is cool. it's where they threw everyone off the Cliff in For Whom the Bell Tolls.

After I watched The Orphanage I really want to go to LLanes and Asturias. Anyone ever been? The filming locations in that move were freaking stunning.

Back