• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
A team from the ACC Atlantic has been ranked in the top 5 of the initial CFP Rankings every year.

Overall RecordTeamInitial CFP RankingPF vs. FBSPA vs. FBSAverage Margin vs. FBS
7-02014 Florida State#222813914.8
8-02015 Clemson#127613120.7
8-02016 Clemson#223414113.3
7-12017 Clemson#425810519.1
8-02018 Clemson#23059729.7
9-02019 Clemson#53399131.0
7-12020 Clemson#331415622.6
8-02021 Wake Forest???30617518.7

This Wake team has a larger average margin of victory at the time of the initial CFP rankings than the 2014 FSU defending champs and the 2016 Clemson team who won the national championship. Wake has a similar margin to the 2015 and 2017 Clemson teams as well. Wake has a better record than the 2017 Clemson team that lost by 3 at Syracuse and the 2020 Clemson team that lost by 7 at Notre Dame.

Wake in 2021 is doing what our Atlantic brethren FSU and Clemson have done the last 7 years. Wake should be ranked as high as those teams in the initial CFP rankings. #whynotwake

Feel free to share it wherever.

Last edited:
If the name on the uniform was Florida State or Clemson, Top 5 would be a certainty. It's not, so the Deacs need to win out to ensure participation. If they can do that, this team will be the biggest story of the college football season.

A part of thinks we are gonna get screwed and get ranked like 21st, behind a 4-4 Texas team....
I agree with the earlier poster... change our uniform to FSU or Clemson and its a no-brainer.

We'll be ranked around #8 with every chance to prove we belong in the playoff over the next few weeks. I really think we would beat Cincinnati on a neutral field if we played this weekend. They have been very unimpressive the past two weeks.

So if there are 3 teams from the Big 10 ahead of us in the first poll (Mich, MSU, OSU) as an example, we know it will only be one of them at the end that actually gets in, because of matchups coming up and conf. Championship games leaving at least two teams with 2 losses... Is that the right way to look at these early polls?

I can't recall where I saw this stat but Wake is the only team in the nation to have scored 35 or more points in every game this season.

It's our weak schedule that's keeping us from a higher position.
Disagree. Every conference has a couple teams in the hunt. The rest looks just like the ACC. If Clemson was 8 and 0 right now they would be top five and all the idiots that do no research would do the usual Clemson and the dwarfs. Wake could have laid 80 on Duke. Maybe we should have.

At least Clemson would have a game against a good Wake team this year. Wake can't even count of Clemson being good at the end of this year due to the number of injuries they've sustained.

At least Clemson would have a game against a good Wake team this year. Wake can't even count of Clemson being good at the end of this year due to the number of injuries they've sustained.

Regardless of the current standings, winning at UNC and at Clemson will make a lot of eyeballs pop nationally.

These first rankings are so critical, it will be hard to leapfrog teams if we're outside of the top 10. The SEC winner will be in the playoff regardless, Oklahoma would be in if they win out, Cincy would be in if they win out. That leaves everyone else fighting for the 4th spot and it will be a big fight. Any rational person (the SEC bias on the CFP committee is often irrational) would move Wake Forest ahead of the following teams under the circumstances below:

HIGH CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest should leapfrog NOTRE DAME if we beat UNC in Chapel Hill by any margin after Notre Dame barely beat them at home
HIGH CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest will leapfrog the loser of the Michigan State / Ohio State game - I'm going to assume OSU will will win since this is a home game for them.
LOW CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest should leapfrog GEORGIA (assuming UGA loses SEC Championship Game) and Wake wins out including beating Clemson in Death Valley for the first Clemson home loss since 2016. UGA won by a slim margin at neutral site.

This leaves Ohio State and Oregon - and I have no confidence we'd leapfrog Ohio State if they win out and wins the Big Ten title game. And I also have no idea where that leaves Oregon if they've also won out and have a win over the Big Ten champs. I guess the easy/right thing to do is move Wake ahead of both of them... but it's very unpredictable. I don't see us leapfrogging Cincy although I've seen a lot of Wake fans wanting to debate that one.

Sooooo.... let's just keep going 1-0 AMIRITE???? I honestly just want to beat UNC because they're the friggin tar holes.... and I love the Noon game time. Not as many drunks getting loud on 3rd down, way less fans in the stands to see a 4-4 underachieving team. GO DEACS

Last edited:
These first rankings are so critical, it will be hard to leapfrog teams if we're outside of the top 10. The SEC winner will be in the playoff regardless, Oklahoma would be in if they win out, Cincy would be in if they win out. That leaves everyone else fighting for the 4th spot and it will be a big fight. Any rational person (the SEC bias on the CFP committee is often irrational) would move Wake Forest ahead of the following teams under the circumstances below:

HIGH CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest should leapfrog NOTRE DAME if we beat UNC in Chapel Hill by any margin after Notre Dame barely beat them at home
HIGH CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest will leapfrog the loser of the Michigan State / Ohio State game - I'm going to assume OSU will will win since this is a home game for them.
LOW CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest should leapfrog GEORGIA (assuming UGA loses SEC Championship Game) and Wake wins out including beating Clemson in Death Valley for the first Clemson home loss since 2016.

This leaves Ohio State and Oregon - and I have no confidence we'd leapfrog Ohio State if they win out and wins the Big Ten title game. And I also have no idea where that leaves Oregon if they've also won out and have a win over the Big Ten champs. I guess the easy/right thing to do is move Wake ahead of both of them... but it's very unpredictable. I don't see us leapfrogging Cincy although I've seen a lot of Wake fans wanting to debate that one.

Sooooo.... let's just keep going 1-0 AMIRITE???? I honestly just want to beat UNC because they're the friggin tar holes.... and I love the Noon game time. Not as many drunks getting loud on 3rd down, way less fans in the stands to see a 4-4 underachieving team. GO DEACS
If the Tuesday poll is legit, Cincy should be ranked lower than Wake Forest.

LOW CONFIDENCE: Wake Forest should leapfrog GEORGIA (assuming UGA loses SEC Championship Game) and Wake wins out including beating Clemson in Death Valley for the first Clemson home loss since 2016. UGA won by a slim margin at neutral site.

I agree that Wake will easily move past ND if we keep winning.

Wake would have to jump Ohio State if they take a second loss. If MSU loses a close one, we might not pass them. If MSU wins, they would also be in the driver's seat for the B1G East. That game isn't till 1/20 though.

I don't think Wake jumps 1- loss Georgia if they lose the SECCG to Alabama. I also think a 1-loss Alabama team that just won the SECCG would be ahead of Wake. You make no mention of alabama in your analysis.

Wake will not leapfrog an undefeated OU team, but I have low confidence that they stay undefeated. Wake will almost certainly jump them if they lose.

Wake should leapfrog an undefeated UC team and I'm not sure UC will be higher than #4 in the first rankings. Their schedule is a lot worse than ours. Our schedule thus far has been harder than theirs and we still have four (five with the ACCCG) good opponents remaining.

Wake will have a hard time jumping tOSU if they run the rest of the table.

Oregon has a great win and a bad loss. Jumping them will be the source of healthy debate, but I think that undefeated is better than losing to Stanford and winning a lot of close PAC 12 games. At the end of the season we will have played a harder schedule than them.

I don't see how Wake is any better than #9 in the first CFP Rankings.

And honestly, I can't argue that we should be. At least not yet.

Just keep winning and things will take care of themselves. I assume UGA & OSU win out and there are 2 of your 4 spots. After that, it's up for grabs.

Official CFP Rankings Thread

It's our weak schedule that's keeping us from a higher position.

We’ve played and beaten 4-4 and 5-3 P5 teams just like everyone else. Our schedule is similar to Michigan or Michigan State. They just also played each other.

This is the same ACC schedule Clemson has had during their run. Do you think we’d be ranked #9 if we were Clemson?

The ACC is 5-11 against P5 competition with two games left against ND, and games against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

The ACC is 5-11 against P5 competition with two games left against ND, and games against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

and dook has 2 of those wins

more reason not to schedule Army, who is definitely a better team this year than Kansas, Northwestern, or Vandy (among several other P5 schools)

Last edited:
Back