• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

How the hell can they not agree on P5 autobids? Isn’t this something everyone involved would easily agree to?

No. The SEC wants it to just be SEC teams.

How the hell can they not agree on P5 autobids? Isn’t this something everyone involved would easily agree to?

I mean probably not the SEC. With autobids it becomes harder for them to get three teams in. Just look at the CFP rankings this year. With the right breaks this weekend the SEC could get UGA, Bama, and Ole Miss into an 8 team playoff with no autobids.

Too bad. There are 5 conferences. It doesn’t have to be unanimous.

Too bad. There are 5 conferences. It doesn’t have to be unanimous.

It kind of does though because they have to agree to participate. All of the P5, but especially the SEC and B1G, have the power to say nope we're not participating and deligitimize the expanded playoff if they're not totally on board.

It kind of does though because they have to agree to participate. All of the P5, but especially the SEC and B1G, have the power to say nope we're not participating and deligitimize the expanded playoff if they're not totally on board.

It’s so silly if they branched off. They’d have 4 brands battling it out and a bunch of crap.

because we'd have to win an additional playoff game?

at least one, possibly two but also because the teams that are going to be in are gonna be the better ones. eg in an expanded playoff this year, you’ve got teams like ohio state and notre dame that are gonna sneak in.

i posted this earlier and everyone may not agree, but imo few schools benefit from the current system like wake forest does. i think the change that some are pulling for has a great chance of leaving us on the outside looking in at the end of the day.

What change are you talking about?

It’s doubtful Wake could ever get an at-large bid. I think everyone here wants a system in which the ACC champ makes the playoff. So that would help us.

If Clawson is building the program we think he can, Wake will have the respect to get in a 4 team playoff as the ACC champ.

I bet the ACC, Big10, Big12, and Pac12 stand firm on their conference champs getting an autobid, but they don't fight as hard for the best G5 champ to get an autobid (and G5s have no leverage of their own) and end up caving to Sankey there. So 8 teams, 5 P5 autobids, 3 at large.

But however they structure it, that first round with higher seeds hosting will be awesome.

Who wouldn't want the 2018, 10-3, PAC-12 Champion, U of Washington team that lost to a 7-5 Cal team in October, in a championship playoff ? They EARNED IT ! (even though they also lost to an Auburn team that went 7-5 (3-5 in conference)) !!!

You cant have too many playoff games or you're going to get 1st round draft picks at Alabama etc getting injured in a 1st round playoff game in which they were favored by 50. The result is going to be players opting out of the playoffs.

Notre Dame obviously has no incentive to support 5 autobids for P5 champions, and they still have a seat at the table.

I support auto bids because who knows what happens when you play the game, sort of like this fake doomsday scenario when a shitty team wins the conference championship, maybe the same thing happens in the first round, maybe it keeps happening. Someone has to win the shitty NFC East every year, one year it happened to be the shitty Giants and they ended up winning and winning and taking down an undefeated team in the super bowl.

Fuck the NCAA. Their student-athletes in the FCS can play as many as 16 games, but FBS student-athletes can't? GTFO with that bullshit.

Are they considering any first round byes?

SEC wants no limits on the number of teams that can make the expanded playoff from a single conference, which is the same condition we have currently. "Other conferences" are scared want to restrict that number to two.

SEC wants no limits on the number of teams that can make the expanded playoff from a single conference, which is the same condition we have currently. "Other conferences" are scared want to restrict that number to two.

So why bother changing at all if you favor the same condition?

So conference champs aren’t good teams?

I have no problem with expanding the playoff and letting six conference champs automatically qualify. The other six bids should go to the best six teams with no restriction on what conference they are from and no restriction on the number of teams allowed for a single conference.

Back