• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake at Clemson - Saturday 11/20 Game Time Speculation

We are beat up. Would i risk bring back a player at 80% against CL if you could have them the following week for a much more winnable BC game that would get us to Charlotte with 10 regular season wins? I know what I woul do

you try and beat clemson, because besting clemson would mean we clinch a spot in the champ game.

this isn’t similar to the VT game in 06 that truly had no bearing on winning the division.

if we beat state and clemson, then at least there would at least be some logic around being cautious with players during the BC game to prep for the championship game, although i think the other implications easily outweigh that.

you try and beat clemson, because besting clemson would mean we clinch a spot in the champ game.

this isn’t similar to the VT game in 06 that truly had no bearing on winning the division.

if we beat state and clemson, then at least there would at least be some logic around being cautious with players during the BC game to prep for the championship game, although i think the other implications easily outweigh that.
I am not saying don't try to win, but do you throw out all stops to win when the must win game is the following week. The odds of us making cfp is minimal. Getting to Charlotte and winning would be a remarkable achievement even with 2 losses.

BC probably should have beaten Clemson with a shitty backup QB in Death Valley. I'm not sure @BC, with a healthy Jurkovek is a significantly easier win than @Clemson, this year. If the weather is bad, that probably only benefits BC more.

He didn't look very good this past week.

I don't even know what it means to go 80% at Clemson. Sit Hartman, Roberson, and the starting OL? Because if they get hurt against Clemson, WF isn't beating BC.

You never know how games are going to play out and who will get injured. You have to play to win the game in front of you. BTW, Clemson's defense is still great, but this Clemson team is beatable by anyone in the ACC. GT had a chance in the final minute to beat Clemson (in Death Valley). Cuse had a chance to win in the 4th quarter. FSU led them with 7 minutes to go. L'ville had first and goal to go for the win with a minute to go. As mentioned above, BC should've beaten them with a back up QB. Pitt beat Clemson decisively. Yes, Clemson has been a dominant football power for almost a decade, but this Clemson team is only about a TD better than BC. Not sure why WF would punt one of two opportunities to win the ACC, and keep alive limited CFP hopes. Look at Clemson's results this year, WF is the best team they have played since UGA, and every ACC opponent has had a solid chance to beat them (or did beat them).

Last edited:
Would you put in a player who was 80% against clemson treating it like a defacto championship game or get them an extra week's rest for bc. Like the kenny moore situation with vt and md in 06.

This is exactly what wake should have done. Schedule a shit ooc instead of unc and have two weeks of prep before state.

Wrong. Although we do play mighty UConn in the near future, IIRC. We should replace them with some semblance of a competitive team.

If the training staff says that a player and the player himself says he can play, then he plays. If not, he sits. If a team has two shots to win the Division, you take both shots to increase the probability. FWIW, winning at BC in a game they will need to get to a bowl is far from a lock. BC's offense played like crap and they still beat VT easily on Friday. BC is far from a gimme game even if WF is relatively healthy.

Is this a serious question?

Seriously, Clemson is the most beatable this season they have been in years. If we had just an average ACC ranked D, I'd feel great about this game. Even with this D, I think we can beat Clemson. The problem is this D puts so much pressure on the O to score repeatedly. Little margin for error.

Wrong. Although we do play mighty UConn in the near future, IIRC. We should replace them with some semblance of a competitive team.
I do think playing our tough ooc game in sept makes sense. Army late in the year is crazy.

And as posted on another thread, we could make the playoff at 12-1. It's not likely but if there's enough chaos and carnage it's a possibility.

We haven't really seen a CFP year yet where big upsets happpen in conf champ games. What if Wisconsin wins the Big Ten? Utah wins the Pac-12 (which at best would be a slight upset)? What if Auburn beats Alabama then Georgia spanks one of Ole Miss/Auburn/Texas A&M in the SECCG?

Hopefully the staff would treat it more as an everything to gain and nothing to lose scenario than vice versa

Last edited:
Would you put in a player who was 80% against clemson treating it like a defacto championship game or get them an extra week's rest for bc. Like the kenny moore situation with vt and md in 06.

Not a good comparison since the VT game was largely meaningless while beating State and Clemson would clinch the division for us without having to beat BC.

Let’s say we have a 40% chance of beating Clemson and a 60% chance of beating BC, and we need to win at least one to win the division — lowering our chances of winning the first for just a possibility of increasing the later doesn’t really make sense even if you were to ignore the fact that winning both would be huge for us in so many ways.

I want to beat Clemson badly. Its just with us so beat up it could change decision making that wouldn't be the case if we were healthy.

That Virginia Tech game was a big game though. Sold out national tv two ranked teams. We would have been top 10 with a win.

This will be our best chance to beat Clemson since 2011. I agree- might be easier to win in Death Valley at noon than BC in the cold at night- especially if they get hot next few weeks. And that BC game is far from a gimme with PJ back. If he wasn’t back- I would say yeah - likely makes sense to hold back @ Clemson. Really sucks that Cunningham got hurt in last weekend’s game vs. LVille- because with 3 conference loses they would almost certainly be out of contention for Charlotte and more likely to give less than supreme effort. He was destroying them before he went down.

UL would have 100% mathematically eliminated Clemson with a win. Sign me up to beat Clemson

Cunningham getting hurt is why Clemson held on that game.

100%. Even with all that, they still had chance to win but couldnt punch it in 4 times from inside the 5. Don’t like LVille but that me sick - mostly because same thing has and would happen to us in same situation.

It's similar to 06 but not exactly like it.

We lose to Clemson and beat BC, we are in. Given we take care of State.

I want to beat Clemson as much as everyone here, and I know we can.

That said, if we are as injured as I believe us to be, it would be foolish to not save our healthy bullet for BC. It's the most winnable game and it gives some guys a chance to get healthy. Hopefully none of that matters and we get healthy and beat State and run the table. But I can't stress enough how bad things will be if we don't have Carson, Holmes, Garnes, and Mustapha. Need AT LEAST Carson or Holmes back to stand a chance at stopping State.

Looking past the next game to say we should punt on the second game in order get healthy for the third game is some galaxy brain nonsense.

Back