• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

If we are going to make a run and stay healthy late season then it's probably best to take the Bama/Clemson route and schedule some cupcake we can roll over and rest starters heading into out final few tough games.

That said, it's bullshit we don't have home and home with UNC on a regular basis as a conference game.

Excellent post and I am 100% in agreement with the bold. If it's a conference game, then this makes total sense. Scheduling UNC as a non-conference game during the grind of a season is absolutely insane. I'd love to hear Clawson "off the record" on this. I have a feeling I know his answer.

We already had our cupcakes. If you want to go 12-0 then you have to win games. This typically includes "Scary Ol' Carolina." Such a weak ass mentality.

Also, they're on the schedule, so we're required to play it.

We already had our cupcakes. If you want to go 12-0 then you have to win games. This typically includes "Scary Ol' Carolina." Such a weak ass mentality.

Also, they're on the schedule, so we're required to play it.

You have continually missed the point. But, if you want to reach to personal insults, that's fine. Have a good evening.

Let's win Saturday.

You have continually missed the point. But, if you want to reach to personal insults, that's fine. Have a good evening.

Let's win Saturday.

You are the one that keeps missing the point. We are required to play an out of conference Power 5 opponent every year. It may as well be one close that we care about playing and that is winnable.

What point did I miss?

1) Go 12-0 and make the playoff
2) Have a weak schedule so making the playoff is more difficult
3) Stay away from Carolina because we think we're a playoff team but they are too hard to beat

You are the one that keeps missing the point. We are required to play an out of conference Power 5 opponent every year. It may as well be one close that we care about playing and that is winnable.

Yep. It's a great idea.

Alabama plays New Mexico State end of season.
UGA plays Charleston Southern end of season.
Clemson plays UCONN end of season.

Wonder why they do that? Hmmm... I just can't hazard a guess.

I'm out until Saturday. Let's hope for a great win against NCSU. Will be there cheering loudly. Have a good week folks.

Last edited:
So is your argument that you’d rather play UNC to start the season and ODU or Norfolk State at the end of the season?

Maybe a weaker game at the end of the season allows you to rest players and playbacks and get a little healthier. Rather than playing a knockout drag out game we’re you lose almost your entire secondary when you need them down the home stretch.

Back to the point of the thread. It's Tuesday and we should have press conferences later today. I hope for 2 things:

1) Someone actually asks the "tough" question. If the defense needs a change in leadership, as was done in 2018. Or, more benignly, if there will be changes in play calling responsibilities this week on the defensive side of the ball.
2) We get some sort of notion that changes will be made, even if relatively minor. Trotting out the same players with the same scheme and same play calling is the definition of insanity - it has proven not to work time and time again.

Maybe a weaker game at the end of the season allows you to rest players and playbacks and get a little healthier. Rather than playing a knockout drag out game we’re you lose almost your entire secondary when you need them down the home stretch.

I'm down for this.

One warm up game
P5 game in 1st 3 games
mid-level FCS team that's not a services academy
cupcake later in the season

I'm down for this.

One warm up game
P5 game in 1st 3 games
mid-level FCS team that's not a services academy
cupcake later in the season

The problem with the cupcake later in the season is for money purposes. I didn't care about Norfolk St. this year as Game #2 and attendance was awful. The only way people show up for that game is if it is the first game of the season and people are just happy to see some football. We would have 100 people in the stands for a November game against an FCS team no matter who it is or how good we may be that year.

We are the 9th out of 14 teams in the ACC in yards per play allowed. I think this is a decent statistic to show defensive quality and I would like somebody to dispute that. We are much closer to the middle than we are to the bottom.

Now people like Brad look at total yards and points allowed to conclude that our defensive performance is among the all time worst in school history. If that is the case, then we have obviously had some great defenses over the history of the program (chortle).

So perhaps, points and yards allowed aren't the best metric.

And I know this is crazy talk, but perhaps our offense never possessing the ball for long periods and constantly sending the defense back out for quick and a high number of possessions leads to injury, fatigue and impacts our YPP allowed.

Last edited:
We are who we are at this point in the season and have toughest slate of games coming up - Not gonna change offensive philosophy. Asking Clawson/Ruggiero to slow it down is like asking Grobe/Lobo to go for it on 4th and 10 at midfield in first half - just ain’t gonna happen.

The offense is working. A team that averages over 40 ppg doesn't have to give up so many points. Hell, just hold them to under 30 and we win easily.

We are who we are at this point in the season and have toughest slate of games coming up - Not gonna change offensive philosophy. Asking Clawson/Ruggiero to slow it down is like asking Grobe/Lobo to go for it on 4th and 10 at midfield in first half - just ain’t gonna happen.
However it seems like smart wake forest graduates could comprehend that this offensive philosophy negatively impacts defensive performance and there is a trade-off there.

Last edited:
The offense is working. A team that averages over 40 ppg doesn't have to give up so many points. Hell, just hold them to under 30 and we win easily.
We are 8-1 so i mean you gotta believe that the trade off is worth it.

FEI says WF has the #61 defense in the country, #10 in the ACC ahead of UNC, GT, Duke, and Virginia

FPI says WF has the #78 defense in the country, #11 in the ACC ahead of UNC, Duke, and Virginia

People can take issue with those rankings, which is fine. However they are an attempt to adjust everything (tempo, SOS, etc.) and distill everything (turnovers, red zone, etc.) into one number.

However it seems like smart wake forest graduates could comprehend that this offensive philosophy negatively impacts defensive performance and there is a trade-off there.

Sure but that’s a simplistic take that our defensive struggles are just a depth issue.

How many points would Wake's offense score against Wake's defense?

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

Sure but that’s a simplistic take that our defensive struggles are just a depth issue.
This season has shown to me that our defense has been much more effective when healthy. Not great but better.

Back