• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

However it seems like smart wake forest graduates could comprehend that this offensive philosophy negatively impacts defensive performance and there is a trade-off there.

Everyone here understands that the offensive pace has an impact on the D.

I haven't seen anyone say they expect shutouts or hold every opponent under 20. Most people are even saying they would be fine with allowing 40. The issue is when the opponent runs the ball down your throat and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it and it seems like no adjustments are ever made. When it's the second half of a game and you need a stop on 3rd down and you are 90% sure they won't make it. When the opposing QB runs the 40 yard dash in anything less than 30 minutes and scrambles at will.

It doesn't seem to me like the individual talent on D is that bad, but as a unit, they are shit. That seems like a coaching issue.

This season has shown to me that our defense has been much more effective when healthy. Not great but better.

That's another simplistic take.

Everyone here understands that the offensive pace has an impact on the D.

I haven't seen anyone say they expect shutouts or hold every opponent under 20. Most people are even saying they would be fine with allowing 40. The issue is when the opponent runs the ball down your throat and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it and it seems like no adjustments are ever made. When it's the second half of a game and you need a stop on 3rd down and you are 90% sure they won't make it. When the opposing QB runs the 40 yard dash in anything less than 30 minutes and scrambles at will.

It doesn't seem to me like the individual talent on D is that bad, but as a unit, they are shit. That seems like a coaching issue.

An example of this is no one trying to wrap up Sam Howell in the first half. We have several guys go for arm tackles and throw a shoulder into him, but no one tries to wrap up. You would think this is something that would be discussed during the week.

A further example, tackling at the line of scrimmage. As an avid watcher of college football, I would say we are one of the worst teams at tackling at the line of scrimmage. I do not have stats on this, but an inability to tackle player when they are stopped at the line of scrimmage is an issue that good coaching can fix.

Where is our Defensive strengths? What is something you can point to on defense say "There, that is something we do well." That is a coaching issue, not a blame the offense issue or we score too quickly issue but an inability to even have an identity on defense, those are coaching issues.

FEI says WF has the #61 defense in the country, #10 in the ACC ahead of UNC, GT, Duke, and Virginia

FPI says WF has the #78 defense in the country, #11 in the ACC ahead of UNC, Duke, and Virginia

People can take issue with those rankings, which is fine. However they are an attempt to adjust everything (tempo, SOS, etc.) and distill everything (turnovers, red zone, etc.) into one number.

Imagine if we just had the #5 defense in the ACC. We'd cruise to a conference title. Hell, if we had shitty NC State's defense, we might be legitimate national championship contenders.

An example of this is no one trying to wrap up Sam Howell in the first half. We have several guys go for arm tackles and throw a shoulder into him, but no one tries to wrap up. You would think this is something that would be discussed during the week.

A further example, tackling at the line of scrimmage. As an avid watcher of college football, I would say we are one of the worst teams at tackling at the line of scrimmage. I do not have stats on this, but an inability to tackle player when they are stopped at the line of scrimmage is an issue that good coaching can fix.

Where is our Defensive strengths? What is something you can point to on defense say "There, that is something we do well." That is a coaching issue, not a blame the offense issue or we score too quickly issue but an inability to even have an identity on defense, those are coaching issues.
We absolutely should have made that play and only given up 3 there. But our stop rate against a good offense through a reasonable number of game possessions in that game even with that wasn't bad.

Imagine if we just had the #5 defense in the ACC. We'd cruise to a conference title. Hell, if we had shitty NC State's defense, we might be legitimate national championship contenders.
State's defense is really good.

I think they are pretty good against straight drop back passing. See Virginia and Duke. I thought they did pretty well against unc's passing, but they got carved up on the ground.

Overall, the secondary might be the "strength" of the defense when they are remotely close to being healthy.

State's defense is really good.

Right. I meant that it's a (relatively) shitty peer program. Not saying we should be Clemson's defense. Also, State has had more key defensive injuries (including their two best players) than we have, several of them season ending.

Yeah that's key for this week. We need to put together some 5 minute drives to limit defensive possessions. Need Ellison and Turner to have big games, given that CBS is most likely out.

Unless Bud Kilmer pays the team a visit this week, I imagine we will have quite a few key guys out for State.

No new takes. Count me in with those who’ve said we need to be more aggressive. Go all out with pressure. Blitz. Be creative. Yeah we will get burned but we have to pick something. Right now we are getting beat on everything.

It is too late in the season to make changes in tactics I fear. Creating takeaways is our only real hope at stopping the opposition. Just need to try and score 50+ every game going forward and hope for the best.

It is too late in the season to make changes in tactics I fear. Creating takeaways is our only real hope at stopping the opposition. Just need to try and score 50+ every game going forward and hope for the best.

Yep....And BLITZ ALL NIGHT

To me, bend-and-not-break is a euphemism for a bad defense. Agree with Creamy and Turd that Deacs need to be more aggressive and assertive. Even with our somewhat conservative approach to defense we gave up some huge plays. A big play play at least gets our defense off the field and their's back out there. And we didn't force 1 turnover after the Tar Heels' first offensive play. Best strategy is to keep them guessing. We had a stretch where we sacked Howell on consecutive plays; thereafter, he mostly had all day to throw. I loved the play where our #40 tacked both the running back and Howell on the RPO.

Back