• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

Yeah. It's a shame that Bothroyd's double tackle and AT Perry's one-handed catch aren't going to get the attention they should get due to the loss.

It is too late in the season to make changes in tactics I fear. Creating takeaways is our only real hope at stopping the opposition. Just need to try and score 50+ every game going forward and hope for the best.

Meh. I think we’re unsuccessful enough on defense it won’t hurt to mix it up. I’m sure we have different blitz packages. Just get crazy and see what happens. Would be hard to be worse.

I understand Wake's offense creates more possessions for our opponents. I understand the speed of the Wake offense affords the defense less time to recover and rest.

Here's the problem. The Wake defense can't get off the field. It has proven ineffective in stopping the run. It isn't just the number of possessions the defense must play. It's the number of plays per possession they incur. If they could get some three and outs they wouldn't tire as quickly, would be less prone to injury and surrender fewer points. The defense determines how long they are on the field, not the offense. The defense determines their effectiveness and efficiency, not the offense.

The offense covered the defense the first eight games. 55 points was insufficient to cover the defense against UNC. The defense rightly gets the blame for that loss. They earned it. If the Deacs want to achieve their goal of an ACC championship the defense must contribute. It's that simple. Put up or shut up.

I understand Wake's offense creates more possessions for our opponents. I understand the speed of the Wake offense affords the defense less time to recover and rest.

Here's the problem. The Wake defense can't get off the field. It has proven ineffective in stopping the run. It isn't just the number of possessions the defense must play. It's the number of plays per possession they incur. If they could get some three and outs they wouldn't tire as quickly, would be less prone to injury and surrender fewer points. The defense determines how long they are on the field, not the offense. The defense determines their effectiveness and efficiency, not the offense.

The offense covered the defense the first eight games. 55 points was insufficient to cover the defense against UNC. The defense rightly gets the blame for that loss. They earned it. If the Deacs want to achieve their goal of an ACC championship the defense must contribute. It's that simple. Put up or shut up.

What he said

We actually had 4 3 and outs on defense against Carolina in the game Saturday. The total amount of rest that the defense got after those 4 possessions combined 4 minutes and 5 seconds

We actually had 4 3 and outs on defense against Carolina in the game Saturday. The total amount of rest that the defense got after those 4 possessions combined 4 minutes and 5 seconds

Yeah. As explosive as our offense can be we did a terrible job of rewarding the defense on the times they did do well.

Looking back, the one departure from last year that has really hurt us (and I didn't understand at the time) was Rucker. We really miss him this year.

from The Athletic re: biggest stop rate improvements and declines in the last month

Biggest stop rate decline since Week 5 (Oct. 3)

Power 5

1. Wake Forest (-47, No. 29 to 76)
2. Georgia Tech (-46, No. 47 to 93)
3. Maryland (-39, No. 61 to 100)
4. North Carolina (-36, No. 73 to 109)
5. USC (-35, No. 46 to 81)

The College Football Playoff chatter about Wake Forest’s poor defensive play felt a little overblown last week. Then the Demon Deacons gave up 24 points in the fourth quarter and 58 total in their loss to North Carolina. The Tar Heels have had an even rougher time. Their stop rate has dropped 11.1 percent — now down to 56.6 percent — over their last four games.

Looking back, the one departure from last year that has really hurt us (and I didn't understand at the time) was Rucker. We really miss him this year.

He got arrested for drunk driving and assaulted a cop I thought. How is he still playing?

Great point, make a dam stop and go rest.

Game tonight is yet another illustration of how Hemphill is one of the worst P5 coordinators.

At this point it’s borderline comical.

Wake has no defense. It simply doesn't exist.

Thanks, UF fan.

Never would have figured that out without your pearls of wisdom.

This! I get our offense is quick and puts the D back on the field quickly, but they cannot stop the run. That cannot be disputed.

Imperative that Hemphill somehow tightened up the run D this week.

state has a big OL and good backs. Expect them to run the ball to shorten the game and keep Sam and the O off the field. :eek:hnoes:

Back