• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

The dropoff after Grobe mostly came down to not sustaining the recruiting success on defense and keeping a horrible offensive coordinator.

We could dropoff if QB, OL, and WR recruiting and development dropoff or we stick with Hemphill.

Clawson has not sounded pleased in post-game or pressers about some of the D performances. He knows what he has going into next year. I would be shocked if there are not changes. My guess is there was money put aside in the "contract extension" for assistants and to go after a better DC.

agree. clawson also had a defensive playsheet for the first time i can recall for the last couple games prior to BC. but i also think guitardeac's point is a valid one.

i think clawson still likes hemphill probably for his work ethic, intelligence, attitude, etc. so might try to bring in more of a veteran co-DC (or AHC, although that's supposed to be cohen's role) to mentor hemphill and work on defensive strategy.

For various reasons this feels different than '06. Win or lose this Saturday the momentum seems more sustainable. Respect for what Grobe did, but give me Clawson all day every day over Grobe. After '06 Grobe still accepted the status quo...hard to recruit and win at Wake, can't compete with the big boys, etc. We keep thinking about this being a generational season but Clawson clearly doesn't see it that way. He seems to really think we can be top of the league year to year. Also we have Currie who doesn't foster the lowf loser mentality we had in the AD post-06 and post-Prosser. Oh, and our facilities are stupid nice and getting even nicer.

So yeah, we better go out and hire a stud DC in the off-season.

There's certainly less talk about this being a "miracle" season and "once in a lifetime" event compared to 2006, but that's because we did it 15 years ago.

I think we drop off a good amount next year — I don’t think as many guys come back as everyone is hoping/expecting (Not sure how many 24 year olds want to come back for a year 6 — and I’m unsure when we have to get back to 85 scholarships, maybe someone can help clarify for me). Which is all the more reason to sprint now.

I think we drop off a good amount next year — I don’t think as many guys come back as everyone is hoping/expecting (Not sure how many 24 year olds want to come back for a year 6 — and I’m unsure when we have to get back to 85 scholarships, maybe someone can help clarify for me). Which is all the more reason to sprint now.

I bet we roll out our offense without Roberson and Tom, and bring pretty much everyone else back. Is CBS a senior? I guess we'd love him too, but we are stacked at RB. I think Hartman comes back.

I'd say 16 or 17 of our 2 deep offense come back. I'd set our O/U win total next year for 8.5

For various reasons this feels different than '06. Win or lose this Saturday the momentum seems more sustainable. Respect for what Grobe did, but give me Clawson all day every day over Grobe. After '06 Grobe still accepted the status quo...hard to recruit and win at Wake, can't compete with the big boys, etc. We keep thinking about this being a generational season but Clawson clearly doesn't see it that way. He seems to really think we can be top of the league year to year. Also we have Currie who doesn't foster the lowf loser mentality we had in the AD post-06 and post-Prosser. Oh, and our facilities are stupid nice and getting even nicer.

So yeah, we better go out and hire a stud DC in the off-season.

I think part of the problem with Grobe is he didn't feel he was getting the commitment from the Admin to facility upgrades, especially on-campus that he needed. I'm not trying to make excuses or anything, but that's what I've heard and even he alluded to it. Yeah, we got some great upgrades to the stadium during Grobe's time, but the on campus facilities were not good. Clawson has talked about it's nice to have stadium upgrades, but honestly the on-campus upgrades make the most difference in recruiting because that's where the players spend 90 percent of their time. They're only at the stadium maybe 8 to 10 times a year, home games and scrimmages. I think that's where Grobe may have felt the admin wasn't supporting the football program enough.

I bet we roll out our offense without Roberson and Tom, and bring pretty much everyone else back. Is CBS a senior? I guess we'd love him too, but we are stacked at RB. I think Hartman comes back.

I'd say 16 or 17 of our 2 deep offense come back. I'd set our O/U win total next year for 8.5

Feels like we may lose Perry which would be a big blow. Not based on anything other than personal feeling with his size and play this year. But IF he comes back we will be pretty damn good again on offense with Greene/Perry/Morin/Williams at WR and Ellison/Turner/the young guys at RB.

My assumption is that the guys who we honored on senior day or leaving but everyone else is probably coming back. So on defense that’s everyone except Masterson, Ja’Sir, Redd, Fox and Kamara. Tom, Roberson, CBS and Sciba on offense/ST along with the seniors Chapman and Stewart.

Feels like we may lose Perry which would be a big blow. Not based on anything other than personal feeling with his size and play this year. But IF he comes back we will be pretty damn good again on offense with Greene/Perry/Morin/Williams at WR and Ellison/Turner/the young guys at RB.

I don't think Perry goes to the NFL just yet, assuming that's what you are saying. It's only his third year in the program, and first as a starter. It would really only make sense for him to go if he was getting projected into the first 3 rounds, which I don't think he will be.

Nya, Maginn, and Tom are all redshirt juniors, although the only surefire NFL player there is Tom. Tom participated in Senior Day and is likely gone, but I think Maginn already said he'd be back. Unsure on Nya. Outside of the OL, we will for sure lose Stewart and Chapman on offense, and I assume CBS leaves, but Banks/Whiteheart/the young RBs seem more than ready to step into those roles next year.

I'm way more worried about what we lose on defense than offense. Fox, Kamara, Masterson, Taylor, and Redd are all definitely leaving. Then there could be surprises that leave, such as Bothroyd, Greer, Smenda, Vilain, Bergan (not saying these are all NFL guys, but they have all been around for 4 years at least). I'd expect us to hit the transfer portal pretty hard for defensive players this offseason, particularly for DT considering we are losing (at least) half of the two deep there.

As good a season as Perry has had, he has a ton of room to improve if he wants to play in the NFL. I think he can make those improvements, but it will take at least another year.

As good a season as Perry has had, he has a ton of room to improve if he wants to play in the NFL. I think he can make those improvements, but it will take at least another year.

Agree. And I hope he understands that Sage and Dortch didn't take that additional year and didn't get drafted as a result.

Top two priorities moving forward are better management of defense (recruiting/developing/game planning) and player retention.

Outside of Hartman, I think the most interesting cases about guys who may leave are Luiji Vilain and Loic Ngassam Nya. DL and OL were both strengths of ours this year in my opinion, and keeping those guys around for an extra year would be huge in continuing that into next year. But it would be both of their 6th years in college, and both are good enough to try to make NFL practice squads already. Both of them are probably guys that will leave if they get NFL feedback that suggests they even have a chance at trying to make a roster.

Yep, I also think Perry comes back. An offense of Hartman, Perry, Greene, Morin, Whitehart, Ellison/Turner/Cooley, and a stable of good OL....that'll definitely do...

Need to hit the portal for a LB, DT and Safety.

And yes, figure out how to get more out of the rest of the defense.

With Bergan and Pointer, that gives you a couple good defensive tackles. Just need another ACC level to give us a 3 man rotation there. I'm happy with the rest of the DL. Corners, you have Holmes, Carson, Roberts, along with some new guys.

Lets hope Greer comes back. Give us Greer, Andersen, Slocum, AJ Williams and a portal safety.

Oh snap and Coby Davis. If he can come back healthy then that would be huge.

Maybe we should change this thread title since we are in the ACC championship

Lets hope Greer comes back. Give us Greer, Andersen, Slocum, AJ Williams and a portal safety.

I think Mustapha will get quite a bit of playing time at safety next year. If Greer can stay healthy and Mustapha/Slocum continue to improve I think we will be fine at safety.

With Bergan and Pointer, that gives you a couple good defensive tackles. Just need another ACC level to give us a 3 man rotation there.

I'm hoping that Tyler Williams will be back as well, although he's another guy that seems to consistently be injured.

Back