• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

There is so much movement with quality programs - Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, Miami, TCU, etc - there are going to be guys looking to make moves. We could really scoop up a few talented players or coaches who are caught up in the whirlwind.

I have some bad news….

lol good thing the Rams have a good defense - brain fart. Too busy watching my daughter at gymnastics. We can’t waste what is likely Sam Hartmans last season!

lol good thing the Rams have a good defense - brain fart. Too busy watching my daughter at gymnastics. We can’t waste what is likely Sam Hartmans last season!

Haha yeah I’m just messing with you, I do that shit all the time!

There is so much movement with quality programs - Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, Miami, TCU, etc - there are going to be guys looking to make moves. We could really scoop up a few talented players or coaches who are caught up in the whirlwind.

I think this is exactly right. This is not the time to be complacent. Could Hemphill develop over time? Maybe. Can we wait? No. With all the uncertainty out there it's a great time to scoop somebody up.

Yeah I can't imagine the argument for Hartman leaving. Bolt early, hope nothing goes wrong and you crush it in the combine to avoid going undrafted? And that's your best-case scenario?

Or stay at Wake as a walking deity, you get Perry, Williams, Greene, and Morin as your receivers. You get Ellison/Cooley/Turner in the backfield. Some losses on defense but I still think we'll be better defensively next year, whether by personnel, getting healthy, or scheme.

Plus unlike this year it won't be UNC getting all the pre-season hype. We'll be the defending Atlantic champions, Howell will be gone and Hartman will get some light chatter about the Heisman... We get the two teams we lost to at home. You have to assume not all of those pieces will fall thanks to the portal and all the bad advice out there, but even selfishly another great year while he's not flying under the radar would do wonders for his draft potential.

Hartman has two more years of eligibility

if he's good enough to leave after next year then that would be great

if he stays he'll blow so many ACC career passing records out of the water with the extra 10 or so games he'll have had

Hartman has two more years of eligibility

if he's good enough to leave after next year then that would be great

if he stays he'll blow so many ACC career passing records out of the water with the extra 10 or so games he'll have had

Hartman has 67 passing TDs with two games to go this season. Tahj Boyd is somehow the all time leader at 107 so that number is conceivably within striking distance next season. If he stays two years and is healthy he will blow away every record on the books.

Yeah I can't imagine the argument for Hartman leaving. Bolt early, hope nothing goes wrong and you crush it in the combine to avoid going undrafted? And that's your best-case scenario?

Or stay at Wake as a walking deity, you get Perry, Williams, Greene, and Morin as your receivers. You get Ellison/Cooley/Turner in the backfield. Some losses on defense but I still think we'll be better defensively next year, whether by personnel, getting healthy, or scheme.

Plus unlike this year it won't be UNC getting all the pre-season hype. We'll be the defending Atlantic champions, Howell will be gone and Hartman will get some light chatter about the Heisman... We get the two teams we lost to at home. You have to assume not all of those pieces will fall thanks to the portal and all the bad advice out there, but even selfishly another great year while he's not flying under the radar would do wonders for his draft potential.

I think we have more reason to pretty optimistic about the portal this year especially on the D side. If you are a highly rated DL or LB at some top 25 school but see yourself stuck behind some AA or all conf. type players and you see WF with the most potent O in the land with many of the key parts likely to come back and you see an opportunity to come onto the field immediately to turn around one of the worse Ds in the country which would only improve the team's possibilities for top 10 next year while they get PT and possibly name recognition as part of turning around a horrid D? I would hope we are the recipient on D side if we have any coaches knowing how to sell the program and opportunity (which clearly appears we do). We might lose some on O side but we are so deep at skilled position I don't see an impact if Sam and most of OL are back and if we lose some on D it probably isn't a bad thing if we have players that aren't able to get much PT after this year.

Last edited:
Here's a great idea. Let's bring in Jimmy Lake as DC to help him rehab his image and get our defense in order. I think our guys need more discipline.

to get BACK ON TOPIC, here's a name: https://footballscoop.com/news/sour...views-sec-assistant-former-notre-dame-staffer

has already had two stints at wake. he does have a long background with hemphill (he played and coached for him at stony brook), just based on their careers it actually seems pretty plausible that hemphill recommended santucci to our staff / cohen which might complicate things.

I don't remember out LB's being that great in 2019 either. Maybe he was constrained by the system, but I don't think Santucci is the guy. Give me Todd Grantham or Chad Glasgow (TCU) or Todd Orlando (USC) proven coordinators who would consider coming to a top 25 program for the right money.

I don't remember out LB's being that great in 2019 either. Maybe he was constrained by the system, but I don't think Santucci is the guy. Give me Todd Grantham or Chad Glasgow (TCU) or Todd Orlando (USC) proven coordinators who would consider coming to a top 25 program for the right money.

I mean... I would rather not hire a guy who got fired midseason (Grantham)...

I think first call is to Brad Lambert, assuming that Wake isn't going to pony up $1.5M+ for Brad White.

I think we have more reason to pretty optimistic about the portal this year especially on the D side. If you are a highly rated DL or LB at some top 25 school but see yourself stuck behind some AA or all conf. type players and you see WF with the most potent O in the land with many of the key parts likely to come back and you see an opportunity to come onto the field immediately to turn around one of the worse Ds in the country which would only improve the team's possibilities for top 10 next year while they get PT and possibly name recognition as part of turning around a horrid D? I would hope we are the recipient on D side if we have any coaches knowing how to sell the program and opportunity (which clearly appears we do). We might lose some on O side but we are so deep at skilled position I don't see an impact if Sam and most of OL are back and if we lose some on D it probably isn't a bad thing if we have players that aren't able to get much PT after this year.
Dig these vibes bigly

I think first call is to Brad Lambert, assuming that Wake isn't going to pony up $1.5M+ for Brad White.

Stoops to OU may make White a little more accessible. Lambert doesn't have those Patriot League bonafides that Clawson seems to look for. Clawson also seems to be going for more up and comers than guys who have held the title before. The most likeliest scenario is Cohen gets promoted to DC, but hopefully I am surprised.

The Sawvel hire shows that Clawson is willing to go after a sitting Coordinator, but he may be more hesitant now to reach out to someone that he doesn't have connections with.

My guess is that, rightly or wrongly, Clawson wants nothing to do with anyone associated with the previous regime following his experience with Wakeyleaks.

Stoops to OU may make White a little more accessible. Lambert doesn't have those Patriot League bonafides that Clawson seems to look for. Clawson also seems to be going for more up and comers than guys who have held the title before. The most likeliest scenario is Cohen gets promoted to DC, but hopefully I am surprised.

The Sawvel hire shows that Clawson is willing to go after a sitting Coordinator, but he may be more hesitant now to reach out to someone that he doesn't have connections with.

Seems like Cohen would have already gotten the nod if Clawson was going to do that. Either when Elko left or when Sawvel was fired. For an up-and-comer, I would go for the Toledo guy I think. Not sure if Clawson has any ties though.

Agreed. This D is fucking bad. It’s like they are not being coached.

Back