• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

Where do you guys think our most glaring weakness is on defense? I think its the d-line. I love Fox, but our d-line has got to really stink for our run defense to be this bad.

i think our defense has talent

they just seem to give up back breaking plays on 3rd/4th downs and when we NEED a stop in 4th quarters

it's exhausting

It can’t be talent as we were assured by the experts in the off-season that this was a deepest and most talented defense in the last 5 years.

Where do you guys think our most glaring weakness is on defense? I think its the d-line. I love Fox, but our d-line has got to really stink for our run defense to be this bad.

LBs, by far. We lack speed and the tackling is poor.

Scheme may be part of the issue, but we seem completely lost once a runner gets past the LOS. Guys are hitting the wrong gaps or slow to react to where the ball carrier is and don't have the speed to makeup ground.

LBs, by far. We lack speed and the tackling is poor.

Scheme may be part of the issue, but we seem completely lost once a runner gets past the LOS. Guys are hitting the wrong gaps or slow to react to where the ball carrier is and don't have the speed to makeup ground.

Yeah but there sure do seem to be a lot of holes to run through, that's got to fall on the d-line too.

I mean the defense is what it is but still having supposedly one of the best offenses in the country let Carolina's mediocre at best defense control the game in 2 straight 4th quarters after we dominated them for 3/4 in both games gave them a chance to come back.

If it is line backing, then we should be able to recruit better lbs, we have a history of having some really lbs. Defensive tackles are a lot harder to come by.

Oh STFU and delete this fucking thread. Maybe if we actually lined up and tackled today instead of flailing our arms and bouncing off Howell we would have kept them under 50.

If keeping them under 50 is the best case scenario, you should probably fire the DC.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure if we had coughed up a couple losses earlier this season Hemphill would already be gone, similarly to Sawvel being fired midseason a few years ago.

Lyle Hemphill is on wayyyy over his head. It's been clear to anyone with eyes for quite some time now. It's super depressing to waste a historically good offense on such trash defense.

I can’t tell if it’s schemes or effort or what. Our linebackers are slowthe d ends have given up huge plays. The interior is pretty good but no one there to finish tackles. Greer should be a corner.

We shouldn’t be this bad.

I mean the defense is what it is but still having supposedly one of the best offenses in the country let Carolina's mediocre at best defense control the game in 2 straight 4th quarters after we dominated them for 3/4 in both games gave them a chance to come back.

They had a huge INT turnover deep in our own territory on the first WF drive of the 4th quarter that setup a TD where they went offsides and it wasn't called. I would love to know if Sam thought that was a free play. Clawson seemed to be all over the refs after that play.

The next drive, Ellison broke off the big run for 35 yards. We got stopped on 4th & 2 at the UNC 28 yrd line. The ball was batted down at the LOS. Maybe in retrospect a 45-yard Sciba FG there would have been a better option.

Third drive, Hartman had a couple not so great throws intro traffic, and the weird toss-up to @Perry but again UNC went offsides and I would like to know if Hartman thought it was a free play.

Fourth and final drive was a TD to Roberson, but the game was over by that point.

I believe it’s secondary. But when you compare shit to shit it’s hard to decipher. Yet wake had some good stops for losses. Didn’t see a single secondary play except for PI

It's crazy how good the defense was with Elko and how far it has fallen since he left.

fwiw, watching live i didn’t think either of those plays were offsides. unc linemen moved but didn’t think they crossed the LOS

Back