• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

I believe it’s secondary. But when you compare shit to shit it’s hard to decipher. Yet wake had some good stops for losses. Didn’t see a single secondary play except for PI

Shows how bad our defense is, all three position groups have been nominated.

fwiw, watching live i didn’t think either of those plays were offsides. unc linemen moved but didn’t think they crossed the LOS

I hope this is actually true, would make me feel a bit better

fwiw, watching live i didn’t think either of those plays were offsides. unc linemen moved but didn’t think they crossed the LOS

I really thought so, especially on the second Hartman INT. Think Clawson did too as he was going after the refs after the play. They key is - did Sam think it was a free play?

They were trying to jump early a lot in the game and got caught a few times.

I would say the problem is linebacker, but most college defenses don't play true linebackers anymore. We seem to have a few good lineman but nothing beyond that. We don't have any real speed on defense either, which shows when we can't seal the edge or running plays.

I really thought so, especially on the second Hartman INT. Think Clawson did too as he was going after the refs after the play. They key is - did Sam think it was a free play?

They were trying to jump early a lot in the game and got caught a few times.

Still no excuse for Sam to throw such a bad ball.

Still no excuse for Sam to throw such a bad ball.

Sam struggles against a zone, probably just doesn't see it that much, but he expected that dback to follow the receiver and instead he was playing the area. Threw it straight to him.

Tackling was an obvious issue today, but more than that is we weren't in good position to make a tackle. It's also hard to make a tackle when you give guys a big head of steam before you touch them 10 yards downfield.

I would say the problem is linebacker, but most college defenses don't play true linebackers anymore. We seem to have a few good lineman but nothing beyond that. We don't have any real speed on defense either, which shows when we can't seal the edge or running plays.

The only guy who pops speed wise in the back 7 is Greer. Hopefully a piece to upgrade with improved recruiting.

Teams with no speed can make up for it by scheme or playing smart, we do neither of those well.

We need a DC who is experienced and wily enough to run a scheme to maximize our talent on defense.

The bar is low, just find a way to hold a team to 40 and we'll win. Dare teams to throw. Our best defensive play is hope the deep ball is overthrown.

4th qtr. was just as disappointing in the 4th qtr. as the defense was. You put up 45 in 2 1/2 qtrs. and only get 3 the rest of the way is pretty poor.

I just talked to a friend who said he stopped watching at 45-27 and turned back to see if we got to 70. That was a reasonable thing to do.

The bar is low, just find a way to hold a team to 40 and we'll win. Dare teams to throw. Our best defensive play is hope the deep ball is overthrown.

Similar how during the FRESH DEACS era we just needed an OC who could get our team to score 20 every game.

You have to think that if we can win 10+ games this year that we should be able to attract a decent DC that wants to hitch his wagon to Clawson.

Glad to see the dumbassery of our fan base has achieved new heights along with our ranking.

You have to think that if we can win 10+ games this year that we should be able to attract a decent DC that wants to hitch his wagon to Clawson.

one dream scenario: james franklin goes to usc and we can hire their DC brent pry who doesn’t want to move to the west coast (based on his background he must have some connection to clawson). keep hemphill as safety coach.

Everyone has seen this coming for weeks. If we had kicked the FG instead of stupidly trying to convert the 4th and 2 when we were tied at 48 and held on for the win, we would all be talking about how our defense does such a great job in giving up yards and limiting points.

The national commentary was right. Our defense is bad and we can rely on winning a track meet every week. We've reached our ceiling in the rankings and that's something to be proud of. We still haven't reached the "great" level, but "good" might still be good enough to win this conference. Still lots of football to play.

Back