• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

A big time job comes with a big budget for a new DC and staff.

Every HC job comes with ultimate responsibility for both sides of the ball

Hemphill has definitely gotten a way longer leash than Sawvel got (not saying we shoulda kept him). Beyond time to get somebody doing a nice job as a DC at the non-P5 or FCS level.

And Lambert isn't the answer, his defenses were trash before Charlotte decided to poach him from us for some unknown reason

We should be able to get a good G5 DC or FCS head coach at this point.

Desperately need more size on the D line. Need to find size like Fred Robbins, Boo Robinson, and Jeremy Thompson.

Desperately need more size on the D line. Need to find size like Fred Robbins, Boo Robinson, and Jeremy Thompson.

Size wise Fox, Bergen and Kamara are all as big as Boo Robinson. Boo was listed 6'1" 295.

Yesterday was far from an outlier:

UNC ran the ball 52 times yesterday for 330 yards (6.3 yards per rush)

Army ran the ball 70 times for 416 yards (5.9 yards per rush)

Syracuse ran the ball 58 times for 354 yards (6.1 yards per rush)

The difference is the offense was good enough to bail the defense out in the Cuse and Army games.

But the most frustrating thing is the defense doesn't even have to be good... Just not embarrassing.

Unfortunately Lyle Hemphill can't even meet that pathetically low standard.

Just watched Clawson’s brief press conference from yesterday. I know it’s important to build and protect relationships for guys like Les and Connor, but it seems a question along the lines of “after several disappointing defensive performances this year, is a change in scheme, and possibly leadership, needed to produce the results you’re looking for?” is far overdue.

Just watched Clawson’s brief press conference from yesterday. I know it’s important to build and protect relationships for guys like Les and Connor, but it seems a question along the lines of “after several disappointing defensive performances this year, is a change in scheme, and possibly leadership, needed to produce the results you’re looking for?” is far overdue.
Something must be done. There is no way to break into the next level with this DC. None

And Clawson knows this. How he solves it will be interesting

Combining discussion from the other thread since we’d don’t need two:

Aside from the results, one of the bigger concerns is that the trajectory of our defense has gotten worse each year. For next season, we are losing Fox, Kamara, Redd, Masterson and Taylor (Vilain and Wingfield are listed as seniors but I think they can return) so it seems pretty likely our defensive talent will be even worse next year (imagine how bad we would be if there wasn’t a COVID eligibility rule this season).

Meanwhile, our offense should continue to be amazing with most players (fingers crossed) returning and it seeming like we are developing the next wave at a lot of places anyway (Ellison, Williams, Banks, Petibon, etc)

BTTT.

Does every team use a Rover?

Why or why not.

Is our defense a fancy way to say 4-2-5?

Is that the new normal?

Feels like the days of the 3-3-5 and that whole thing.

Most do these days. The 4-2-5 is by far the most common defense in college and NFL, unless you’re playing a power rushing team like Wisconsin. But with our total inability to stop the run, I’d fully be in favor of running more 4-3, or even some 5-2, since our LBs might be our weakest unit.

Nick Anderson said he learned from last year but I had nightmares last night of him bouncing off Howell like a pogo stick. Why do we not teach our guys to wrap up instead of just hitting and bouncing off?

Nick Anderson said he learned from last year but I had nightmares last night of him bouncing off Howell like a pogo stick. Why do we not teach our guys to wrap up instead of just hitting and bouncing off?

That was bad, love Nick, but that was bad.

He’s a cool story, but has to be one of the worst defensive starters in the P5. Getting anything but spot PT over a healthy Greer makes no sense to me.

He’s a cool story, but has to be one of the worst defensive starters in the P5. Getting anything but spot PT over a healthy Greer makes no sense to me.

I wouldn’t say Greer played any better yesterday. Had a couple of missed tackles and just doesn’t seem to fly around the way he did pre-injury. Hopefully it comes back with more reps and time.

He�s a cool story, but has to be one of the worst defensive starters in the P5. Getting anything but spot PT over a healthy Greer makes no sense to me.

Agreed- he isn�t good enough to be P5 starting safety- maybe certain defensive packages but just doesn�t have the talent. Love the effort and heart. Think he gets a free pass for the VT game last year where he had 3 picks.

The biggest problem on defense at present is cornerback. Injury has decimated the quality of play. The apparent depth at the position was a mirage. If injury persists the defense will continue to scheme to try and cover this problem without success.

The bigger problem is linebacker. The Deacs get gashed on the ground because holes don't get plugged and there is no support on the edges. It's been a problem all season. It's been a problem since Strnaud left.

Back