• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

Washington fired their offensive coordinator today after another poor offensive performance last night against Oregon. Granted, they don’t have near as much to play for. I hope by Tuesday we hear some sort of change, even if that is just Cohen or another assistant assuming play calling responsibilities.

UF fired their DC and OL coach

UF has nothing to play for. Mullen is trying to save his job- not like us at all. Our season is in front of us even with Saturday's humiliation. Now is not the time. Clawson will have to act after the season. If Hemphill stays and no changes on the defensive staff, it will show Clawson does not care. I think he does.

UF has nothing to play for. Mullen is trying to save his job- not like us at all. Our season is in front of us even with Saturday's humiliation. Now is not the time. Clawson will have to act after the season. If Hemphill stays and no changes on the defensive staff, it will show Clawson does not care. I think he does.

Clawson cares. The type of horseshit on display yesterday absolutely eats him up. I have no doubt Clawson cares about this. The question will be how he solves the problem.

Clawson, Cohen, Higgins, and Ruggiero are the dudes.

Need to look LB, CB position coaches, as well as Hemphill. Hemphill could actually be a really bright defensive mind, and I think Clawson loves the guy, but something needs to change.

The biggest problem on defense at present is cornerback. Injury has decimated the quality of play. The apparent depth at the position was a mirage. If injury persists the defense will continue to scheme to try and cover this problem without success.

The bigger problem is linebacker. The Deacs get gashed on the ground because holes don't get plugged and there is no support on the edges. It's been a problem all season. It's been a problem since Strnaud left.

Our pass defense is decent. That’s not what the problem is. Chandler had his best rushing game of the season. Howell had one of his worst passing days and best rushing days.

From 247 sports- spot on:
Leave it to the ACC to eliminate itself from playoff contention with a non-conference game between two conference rivals. Undefeated Wake Forest fell 58-55 at North Carolina (5-4) in the most entertaining game of the day. The Demon Deacons (8-1) led by 18 points and were out-scored 24-3 in the loss. Wake Forest was the ACC’s last hope at No. 9 in the first CFP rankings but that defense, which had one strong performance against Virginia earlier this season, was never built to withstand the week to week onslaught provided by ACC offenses. Still, those Wake Forest receivers are among the best in the country and quarterback Sam Hartman scored seven touchdowns to break a school record originally set by him earlier this season (six) against Army. A shame for the Demon Deacons, but defense still matters for championship contenders and Wake, still with an unblemished conference record, might not even reach the ACC Championship Game because of that Achilles heel.

From 247 sports- spot on:
Leave it to the ACC to eliminate itself from playoff contention with a non-conference game between two conference rivals. Undefeated Wake Forest fell 58-55 at North Carolina (5-4) in the most entertaining game of the day. The Demon Deacons (8-1) led by 18 points and were out-scored 24-3 in the loss. Wake Forest was the ACC’s last hope at No. 9 in the first CFP rankings but that defense, which had one strong performance against Virginia earlier this season, was never built to withstand the week to week onslaught provided by ACC offenses. Still, those Wake Forest receivers are among the best in the country and quarterback Sam Hartman scored seven touchdowns to break a school record originally set by him earlier this season (six) against Army. A shame for the Demon Deacons, but defense still matters for championship contenders and Wake, still with an unblemished conference record, might not even reach the ACC Championship Game because of that Achilles heel.

Playing UNC as a non-conference game may be the dumbest decision ever made in our football program's scheduling history. WHY? Why the hell do you do that? Play Mercer. Play Wofford. Play anyone you can beat. It's beyond stupid.
Then again, this has Ron Wellman's fingerprints all over it.

Playing UNC as a non-conference game may be the dumbest decision ever made in our football program's scheduling history. WHY? Why the hell do you do that? Play Mercer. Play Wofford. Play anyone you can beat. It's beyond stupid.

Surprised it took someone this long to make this absurd point.

Our pass defense is decent. That’s not what the problem is. Chandler had his best rushing game of the season. Howell had one of his worst passing days and best rushing days.

Our pass defense is decent, when healthy our secondary has talent and we can get pressure on the QB, but the old saying in football is good defense starts with stopping the run and even with today's offenses that is still true. If you can't stop the run you have no chance at being a good defense, because it opens up the pass. Case in point Army was even able to throw the ball on us. The defense has to commit to doing everything it can to.slow down the run game, if the opposing offense has a QB that can throw in the ocean and a couple guys that can catch it at all they will have success.

What kills me about this defense is this team scores so many fucking points that the defense doesn't even have to be good. Just a decent defense and this team is still undefeated.

What kills me about this defense is this team scores so many fucking points that the defense doesn't even have to be good. Just a decent defense and this team is still undefeated.
We were successful in the Virginia game. How many possessions did they have? 11.

Yet through their 1st 11 possessions of the Carolina game we kept them pretty well in check. it makes a difference.

This is a bad and incorrect take. To the best of my knowledge we basically HAVE to play at least one P5 opponent OOC. Would rather play UNC than Arizona or something. Now Army and Navy you can definitely blame on Wellman.

We were successful in the Virginia game. How many possessions did they have? 11.

Yet through their 1st 11 possessions of the Carolina game we kept them pretty well in check. it makes a difference.

UVA marched down the field against us. We got lucky because they went 0/4 on 4th downs (which has indeed been proven to be a matter of luck more than anything). Every metric that looks at per play performance agrees we are terrible at defense.

UVA marched down the field against us. We got lucky because they went 0/4 on 4th downs (which has indeed been proven to be a matter of luck more than anything). Every metric that looks at per play performance agrees we are terrible at defense.
Again as long as we're getting a decent stop rate on defense. And I think if you look at the 1st 12 possessions of our games the only game we didn't get a decent stop rate was army.

I'm not saying our defense is good but the problems are exasperated by an offense that having over a 4 minute drive is a huge anomaly.

Last edited:
Again as long as we're getting a decent stop rate on defense. And I think if you look at the 1st 12 possessions of our games the only game we didn't get a decent stop rate was army.

I'm not saying our defense is good but the problems are exasperated by an offense that having over a 4 minute drive is a huge anomaly.

Yeah. I can't imagine many DC's that would love to have an offense that scores 44 ppg. It just gives the other team to many chances to score 50, amirite?

I can't fathom that people are still defending this defense.

If anything the defense is putting a ton of pressure on the offense to score on every possession.

I believe that the word associated with the defense is "atrocious." :(

it's exacerbating

we've reached the point where, if we are up 14 mid-3rd quarter, we know we need to score at least 21 more to get to overtime

Yeah. I can't imagine many DC's that would love to have an offense that scores 44 ppg. It just gives the other team to many chances to score 50, amirite?
Again I'm not saying we should change our offensive philosophy and perhaps a low possession time high scoring offense gives us the best chance to win.

But it impacts the defense. We get a couple of 3 and outs and probably 8 minutes of game clock has gone by. There's a lot of defenses in the country that get a couple of 3 and outs and almost the entire quarter of game time has gone by.

Our offensive philosophy is akin to the Roy Williams basketball philosophy of maximizing possessions because we have more talent than our opponent. That clearly isn't the case with our defense.

Last edited:
Back