• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

I've been calling for Hemphill to be fired for a very long time. Made this comparison on the other site awhile back and got blasted for it, but even when we are doing okay, it is like watching Manning's 2017 team with John Collins - even when you are winning games, something just kind of "smells" wrong. Out of position, bad angles, etc. For basketball, we were bailed out by JC. For football, we occasionally get a big sack or turnover and the Hemphill apologists cream their jeans.

Again I'm not saying we should change our offensive philosophy and perhaps a low possession time high scoring offense gives us the best chance to win.

But it impacts the defense. We get a couple of 3 and outs and probably 8 minutes of game clock is game by. There's a lot of defenses in the country that get a couple of 3 and a halveson almost the entire quarter of game time is gone by I can't give you button-up this winner.

Our offensive philosophy is akin to the Roy Williams basketball philosophy of maximizing possessions because we have more talent in the opponent. That clearly isn't the case with our defense.

I mean, numbers matter. We have the 3rd best offense in the country. If you take away ODU and NSU, we are giving up 32 ppg, good for 108 in the country in scoring defense. If you take away ODU and NSU, we are averaging 46 PPG, good for #1 in the country.

Which side do you think is the problem?

I mean, numbers matter. We have the 3rd best offense in the country. If you take away ODU and NSU, we are giving up 32 ppg, good for 108 in the country in scoring defense. If you take away ODU and NSU, we are averaging 46 PPG, good for #1 in the country.

Every power 5 team plays some cupcake games, so you don’t need to take those out. Just compare the numbers as they exist and you get to where you want to be.

I mean I'm not sure why you would take out our 2 easiest games and compare it to everybody else's points allowed per game including their easiest games. Nobody's arguing that our defense is as good as our offense or even close. But our high points scored per game and/or high points allowed per game are both impacted by both the high number of possessions in our game and our low time of possession average per possession.

I don't understand why people can't grasp this concept.

And I would bet if you looked at our defensive performance over the last few years in possessions 12 through 16 it's probably pretty bad in points allowed per drive and play.

Last edited:
Yeah, all the games count in the statistics. But you need to measure yourself against the non-cupcakes on your schedule. And against them our defense has been pretty atrocious.

Yeah, all the games count in the statistics. But you need to measure yourself against the non-cupcakes on your schedule. And against them our defense has been pretty atrocious.
But if we averaged 12 possessions a game that's an average of 2 and a 1/2 minutes per possession, our defensive stats would look a lot better than they currently do

I mean I'm not sure why you would take out our 2 easiest games and compare it to everybody else's points allowed per game including their easiest games. Nobody's arguing that our defense is as good as our offense or even close. But our high points scored per game and/or high points allowed per game are both impacted by both the high number of possessions in our game and our low time of possession average per possession.

I don't understand why people can't grasp this concept.

because stats adjusted for plays, possessions and strength of opponents all say our defense is atrocious, which is plainly supported by the eye test.

That's probably a typical number of possessions in a typical college football game to my estimate.

We aren't Alabama or Clemson or Georgia or even Carolina where we can get 4 star defensive talent and depth.

If you have 15 defense possessions a game and give up 4 tds and 2 fgs that's 34. Thats not a terrible performance.

this is from before the unc game:

FDXrCfzWQAoxuck

But if we averaged 12 possessions a game that's an average of 2 and a 1/2 minutes per possession, our defensive stats would look a lot better than they currently do

you know there are ways to adjust for that, right?

I can't fathom that people are still defending this defense.

If anything the defense is putting a ton of pressure on the offense to score on every possession.

Exactly - The only thing more pathetic than the defense's performance are those who continue to try to rationalize it and polish this turd.

That's probably a typical number of possessions in a typical college football game to my estimate.

We aren't Alabama or Clemson or Georgia or even Carolina where we can get 4 star defensive talent and depth.

If you have 15 defense possessions a game and give up 4 tds and 2 fgs that's 34. Thats not a terrible performance.
34pts per game is not good to great. I'm not debating your logic. But that's not great.

because stats adjusted for plays, possessions and strength of opponents all say our defense is atrocious, which is plainly supported by the eye test.
Which are made worse by the high number of plays and possessions we are on defense since our stats in those extra plays and possessions has to be enormous.

I'd take Todd Grantham at this point. Jimmy Lake may even be available this off season. The point remains, if Wake wants to be taken seriously then they need to improve the Defense. We can't always count on keeping the opposition under 56 to win games. Alot of other teams have high scoring offenses whose D are not giving up the points we are. Its time to be realistic about the situation. Our D is trash and needs to get fixed.

34pts per game is not good to great. I'm not debating your logic. But that's not great.
34 points given up against a unc or uva in a 12 possession game is not bad. Wake will always have a difficult time overwhelming our acc opponents on defense.

We have one game this year where our first 12 poss stop rate was terrible. Army

Last edited:
34 points given up against a unc or uva in a 12 possession game is not bad. Wake will always have a difficult time overwhelming our acc opponents on defense.

We have one game this year where our first 12 poss stop rate was terrible. Army

Averaging almost 3 points a possession is quite bad. There are only 15/130 teams in the country that give up 3 or more points per drive.

Averaging almost 3 points a possession is quite bad. There are only 15/130 teams in the country that give up 3 or more points per drive.
Giving that up against the best few offensive teams you face isn't though. Carolina's offense is explosive.

They were held to 25 points against fsu. How many possessions? 9. about 3 ppp.

Back