• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

61-53. Lady Deacs finished on a 14-2 run. Spear had 23. Morra had 13 and 10. Kaia Harrison made some big shots late. Scruggs and Hinds were injured.

If there's one thing Hoover can do, it's beat fellow bad teams in March.

Tip off at about 8:30.

No Morra tonight

Just got back to the game. Did they say why? We may not even score in the post without her. Hinds started in her place.

And now Hinds has 2 fouls.

Non-COVID illness

24 hours after playing 40 minutes and getting a double-double vs. UVA.

Down 16-6 at the end of the first. Shooting 3-16.

DPOY Cubaj took an ugly fall and banged her chin. Of course, Hoover responds by taking Spear out of the game. Who knows how long they'll get that opening?

Lady Deacs owning the boards with Cubja out but Spear on the bench and no Morra, they have a tough time scoring.

Well shit. Spear is in the locker room. Both teams are really bad without their best players.

Scruggs is back though.

Spear warming up on the bike. The 2Q score is 4-2 WF with 3 min left without Cubaj and Spear in the game.

GT up 20-13 at the half. Wake has 12 off reb, 26 overall but is only shooting 5-31.

Last edited:
It's still a game. GT up 29-25. Shooting 18.4%.

Summiel with two big threes. She has 8 and 11. Summiel becoming a reliable three-point shooter has been a nice development. She started the season 9-31 (.290) but has been 13-27 (.481) over the last 9 games.

Cubaj out for the game with a chin laceration. Huge opportunity for the Lady Deacs to steal a game.

GT up 37-34 with 4:43 left. Tied it at 31 and 34.

Cowles has had a few nice moves in the paint. She's got 8 and 7.

GT up 43-39 with 1:03 left.

Last edited:
Yikes; that 3 may have buried the LadyDeacs.
Down 43-39 with 1:02 to play

I think that’ll do it. It’s time to move on from Hoover.

Really tough break on that Becker steal at 43-40. She made a great play, but couldn't get the timeout called before her foot went out of bounds. They had to foul because the shot clock reset because Becker got possession.

Lady Deacs lose 45-40 to finish the season 15-16.

Last edited:
Hoover gets one more year?

I don't think so. As has been mentioned, she has brought in too much talent to be performing at this level. She's been here a long time and proved you can recruit to WF. Now it's time to bring someone in who can also coach those players that are brought in.

I trust that Curry knows a change needs to be made. However, as compared to Manning where Curry had the leverage with a terrible graduation rate, and Manning being an arrogant SOB, I am not aware of any off court issues with Hoover, who appears to be well liked. If her won lost record is the only issue, I think she gets another year, and Curry sets the table for a change in March, 2023 , without significant improvement.

I was begging for somebody to score! It didn't matter who did it. I felt so sorry for Christina. It must have hurt not being able to be on the court. Does she have a Covid year left?

My completely uneducated guess is that Hoover returns. Her record is underwhelming, but it's less underwhelming than the previous group of WF women's hoop coaches (realize that's a low bar). Think that last year's NCAA bid bought her some goodwill. All that said, think the determination about whether Hoover returns or not will turn on issues that only those inside the athletic department know (e.g., how Hoover gets along with others in the athletic department, closeness of team, Hoover's diligence, assessment of recruits coming in, available alternatives). You can make valid arguments either way on the direction of the program. Things like Morra's absence last night seem to always happen to the program; also, WF best player by far had her worst game of the season last night and WF still almost won, is that bad coaching or bad luck?. Over Hoover's first few years as HC the number of injuries to hit the women's program was an anomaly. Then again, there is no doubt that Women's hoop is the most under-performing program in the athletic department, and after 8 seasons, the responsibility has to go to the HC. Completely trust Curry to make the right determination after he takes into account all factors.

Back