• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

https://www.salisburypost.com/2022/01/23/ralph-and-elizabeth-kitleys-are-a-basketball-family/

“Elizabeth took 24 hours to call every coach that recruited her to let them know her decision and to thank them,” Kitley said. “When she got on the phone with Jen Hoover at Wake Forest, it was getting really emotional. Elizabeth thought she had let me down by not going to Wake Forest, but that wasn’t the case, at all. I wanted her to go where she wanted to be.”

Up 26-25 at half. Silly that I can watch this without paying but not the men.

2021-22 Women's Hoops Thread (15-16, 4-14) - Women's NIT vs. Akron on Thursday 7 pm

No Spear?

Up 50-43 in the 4th without Spear at the under 5. Andrews with 18. If they can win here without Spear that would be worth whatever Currie is paying for this game.

Last edited:
She was clearly injured in the ACCT. Andrews with 20. 71-59 win.

Spear, Scruggs and Summiel were all out with injuries. Freshmen Andrews and Conley keyed the win.

According to Hoover, Scruggs and Summiel likely back for next game on Monday. Spear still doubtful with injured foot.

The Miami team that we beat on the road in one of the ugliest games ever played is in the ACC finals against State today.

They were the 8 seed in the ACC Tournament and played their way into an 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

It’s frustrating to see that and have no real explanation why Wake can’t do that. That game at Miami was an evenly matched game between two bad teams.

Miami beat USF in the 8/9 game and play overall #1 seed South Carolina on Sunday. They've won 9 of their last 11 after starting 12-10. Heck of a run that includes 3-2 against ranked teams. Doubt they'll beat SC and probably won't even be competitive, but props to them for turning around their season.

Howard played South Carolina in the 1st round the NCAA tournament. The score after 3 quarters was 60-8.

You would think that you could just launch shots from over half court and score more than 8 in 30 minutes.

Hoover actually has been a pleasant surprise for me, I had super lower standards since she had little resume and we just hired her basically since she's a former player.

I trust Currie and the new admin more to actually make a good hire. Time to make that move so we can compete in a very tough conference

Yep. That’s the decision. Does Currie want to check off a box or does Currie want to compete?

I think Currie wants to compete, but I doubt this is the year to make a change. I would be happily surprised if a change is made this year, but I just don’t see Currie making an involuntary change one year after a tournament berth. I trust Currie to get this right, which I assume means setting a performance goal for next year— then , if not met, Hoover technically resigns “for the good of the program”.

This wasn't a real tournament berth. This was a below .500 team who replaced a team in a pay to play tournament. This was like Rutgers making the Gator Bowl.

And I'm wary that Spear may transfer based on not playing in the WNIT.

Last edited:
Every time I see this thread bumped in the off-season I eagerly expect a coaching change. No dice so far.

She had 2 years at the minimum after the tournament bid last year. No chance of change at the end of this year.

By the way, this is how the ACC women are doing in the NCAA Tournament.

#11 FSU lost in the First Four
#8 Miami lost to #1 SC in the 2nd round
#5 UNC plays #1 SC in the Sweet Sixteen
#5 VT was upset by #12 FGCU in the 1st round
#5 ND plays #1 NC State in the Sweet Sixteen
#1 NC State plays #5 ND in the Sweet Sixteen
#1 Louisville plays #4 Tenn in the Sweet Sixteen

Back