• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (12-7, 2-6) vs. #3 Louisville at 2:00 on ACCN

By the way, #4 State outscored Louisville 32-4 through the first 9 min of the 4th to come back and they won by 9. So the Ville is going to be pissssed on Sunday.

WTF is even going on here ?

Certainly not unless they make a commitment to making the program successful, like So Carolina, Stanford, UConn, and even Notre Dame. Right now, IMO, all women's sports at Wake (maybe with the possible exception of golf) exist only to meet Title IX requirements. I've recently moved from NC to east Tennessee (prayers gratefully accepted) and UT, despite having sucked for the last few years, still has huge crowds at women BB games. Gotta make a commitment.

Holy shit the girls got outscored 8-2 in the second quarter last night ! AT HOME !

Certainly not unless they make a commitment to making the program successful, like So Carolina, Stanford, UConn, and even Notre Dame. Right now, IMO, all women's sports at Wake (maybe with the possible exception of golf) exist only to meet Title IX requirements. I've recently moved from NC to east Tennessee (prayers gratefully accepted) and UT, despite having sucked for the last few years, still has huge crowds at women BB games. Gotta make a commitment.

Wake women's soccer, tennis, and field hockey are all pretty good.

This team goes on some absurd scoring droughts preceded and followed by weird runs.

Went from up 25-21 to down 63-31 and ended up losing 72-60.

The disappointing Lady Deacs are back at it tonight vs. Miami in a rematch of one of the ugliest games I've seen in awhile, a 47-46 win at Miami 3 weeks ago. The Lady Deacs led 34-23 at the half and stumbled through the 2nd half to barely hold on for the win. It was a sign of things to come as they are 0-5 since. With 9 games left, they need to win at least 4 to have a shot at the WNIT.

Miami up 19-18 to end the 1st. Spear with 6. All starters are on the board.

Miami up 32-29. One thing I like about watching this on Bally Sports is the halftime was just our man Evan Lepler and Tabitha Turner-Wilkins (former Tech player) just talking conference hoops. No silly Coach K tribute or some other crap.

Deacs up 46-44 at the end of the 3rd. Summiel leading with 12 including 2 threes.

Tied at 52 with 5 min left.

Lady Deacs lose 66-59. Miami with a 12-0 run from 4:33 until a late Wake basket.

Last edited:
I think it's time to move on. It's the one program that has never been good, and for which we have all the reasons in the world to be great.

I think it's time to move on. It's the one program that has never been good, and for which we have all the reasons in the world to be great.

I’m not sure. We’ve only made the tourney twice, ever, and one time was last year. I would give Hoover another year.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (12-8, 2-7) vs. Miami Thurs 7 pm RSN

Two. The women’s team is a mess. They have no confidence.

There’s not much to have confidence in. They can’t shoot, defend, or rebound at this point.

Hoover needs to go. Last year was an ideal situation of having two All-ACC seniors. It was already a problem that neither came back but not damning if the program continued toward the postseason. That’s not happening. This team is 2-8 in conference.

Last edited:
I’m not sure. We’ve only made the tourney twice, ever, and one time was last year. I would give Hoover another year.
That's exactly why we shouldn't give another year. We should be aiming much higher and to find someone who can build from there. When someone's peak is bare minimum and they can't capitalize on their one moment of success, it's time to move on. Example: Danny Manning...reaching the NCAA wasn't a reason to keep him, it was a reason to fire him and upgrade. We don't need women's bball to become the textbook example of the Peter Principle.

That's exactly why we shouldn't give another year. We should be aiming much higher and to find someone who can build from there. When someone's peak is bare minimum and they can't capitalize on their one moment of success, it's time to move on. Example: Danny Manning...reaching the NCAA wasn't a reason to keep him, it was a reason to fire him and upgrade. We don't need women's bball to become the textbook example of the Peter Principle.

Yeah, I think that's a good argument. Ph makes the same argument as well. My argument is that we have had 10 women's coaches and 50 years of women's hoops, and Hoover is only the second coach to make the NCAA tournament and it was last year. So she has earned a shot to rebound with a strong season next year and going forward. But I completely get your argument and don't disagree with the thinking.

Three weeks ago both the men’s and women’s teams were 12-3 (2-2).

Back