• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

IDK, I think there's a long-term upward trend, and they have had some crazy bad luck with injuries. If next season they were to get back to the tourney, I could chalk this year up to youth and transfers. But like I said, there is plenty of evidence going the other way, too. I do feel for Hoover as an alum. She's been better than pretty much every WBB coach we've had in my lifetime, not that that's saying much.

Definitely not arguing that Wake WBB has a dreadful history, but I just don't see the upward trend. Injuries are one thing, but at the end of the day it's year 11 and they don't even look like they're well coached.

The historical win percentage for Wake WBB is .442. Hoover is at .452, so she's one percent above an historically awful average.

She's had 10 years, has won less than half her games, has lost nearly 3/4 of ACC games, barely made the NCAAT in year 9 and still finished with a losing record, and the line in the sand is making the NCAAT in year 11?

It's not working and I don't see what evidence there is to justify another year. How does making the NCAAT next year change anything?
TITCR

The historical win percentage for Wake WBB is .442. Hoover is at .452, so she's one percent above an historically awful average.

So, technically, she is an improvement over the past...

Down to UNC 40-15 at home. Shooting 21.4% from the field. 0-5 from deep.

Poor coaching, poor performance and poor basketball I.Q! Other than that, the Lady Deacs are looking good!

Sure. It's clear Wellman just decided to hire a former player with little experience to check a box. Currie has to decide if he wants to strive for excellence in a sport where Wake surely could do so.

Agreed

I will also say there are quite a number of Lady Deacs now coaching across the NCAAs. Fun to see so many of them have continued success in basketball

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (12-9, 2-8) vs. UNC Thurs 8 pm RSN

Final score 78-59. Spear had 13.

Who are some of the Lady Deacs in coaching?

Is it coaching or lack of interest from the administration in the sport being remotely successful?

Just a straight-up question. I don't know the answer.

I think the lack of interest led to the coaching and why poor coaches get a very long leash.

This team showed more promise earlier in the season. Again, at one point they had the same record as the men's team vs. a stronger relative schedule. They have wins over the top teams in the SoCo and CUSA, the #2 team in the Sun Belt. They had blowout wins against bad teams. They had a bad loss to Nebraska but that's comparable to the men's LSU loss. There's no reason they should be 2-9 in conference right now.

Is it coaching or lack of interest from the administration in the sport being remotely successful?

Just a straight-up question. I don't know the answer.

There is one major blemish on Coach Hoover's resume that will probably lead to her eventual demise as our women's basketball coach. That is simply the fact that she did not get Liz Kitley to commit to Wake.

Since that Miami win we have lost 7 straight conference games only 2 by single digits (7 and 8).

I think way too much is made of the Kitley thing. Nobody got bent out of shape when Proehl's kids went to UNC and ECU or when RoRo's daughter went to Ga Tech. There are tons of good reasons why Kitley's daughter might not have wanted to come to Wake. Anyway, there's plenty of evidence to support a change without pointing to that one recruiting miss.

Some people did get bent out of shape about Proehl's kids and definitely Rodney's daughter who went to Tech. He also has a younger daughter who graduated from State in 2019. I get what you're saying, but it sucks when our women's program is struggling and three daughters of former players went to other ACC schools.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (12-10, 2-9) vs. Duke Sun 6 pm ACCN

Up 18-13 at the end of the first.

Down 36-32 at the half. Tied at 51 with under 5 left in the 3rd. Summiel has hit 3 threes this quarter. On ACC Network.

Last edited:
2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (12-10, 2-9) vs. Duke Sun 6 pm ACCN

Not any more. Deacs up 61-60 at the end of the 3rd. Spear with a last second layup.

No way we win after Duke hit a baseline three off glass to go up 6. Pretty sure every team who has hit a shot like that in that situation has won.

Spear’s 3 to get within 1 rimmed out. Then the last three got stuck on the rim. Some bad execution and bad luck.

Duke wins 81-76.

Didn’t realize women’s hoops can advance the ball after a timeout. It’s messed up that college women’s hoops rules are closer to the NBA than men’s.

Last edited:
Back