• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

Yeah. This team doesn't have much talent aside from Spear, but they could get away with it by playing smart basketball. They play hard but not smart.

Bad loss. That was Pitt's first ACC win in 11 months. That pretty much kills any hopes of getting on the NCAA bubble.

Jens response was “it is never easy to win on the road in the ACC.” She does not mention the 20+ turnovers! Poorly coached at all levels!

I’m just not sure WF can be successful in women’s bball.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (12-4, 2-3) at Pitt Sun 2:00 on ACCNX

It hasn’t been easy for Pitt to win at home in the ACC.

There’s no structural reason why Wake can’t be succcessful at women’s hoops especially now that there’s a larger overall pool of talent than in the past. Just takes good coaching, talent, and resources.

Just a reminder. Currie has strong ties to the women's basketball program at Tennessee. I imagine he could find a good replacement for Hoover when that time arrives.

And Texas too.

There’s no structural reason why Wake can’t be succcessful at women’s hoops especially now that there’s a larger overall pool of talent than in the past. Just takes good coaching, talent, and resources.

Exactly. Not saying “immediate Final Four every year: good but again no reason we can’t be competitive or at least attract legacy kids who turn into all-ACC players at f’ing VPI. This line of “it’s amazing she got to the tournament” is LOWF shit at it’s worst. we’ve stamped a lot of that shit out out the athetic department by now. Women’s hoops need to be held to the same standard.

Of course Wake can. Any ACC program can. As with all college sports, it's all about the coaching staff.

Yeah it was frustration and tongue in cheek as we’ve never proven we can.

Exactly. Not saying “immediate Final Four every year: good but again no reason we can’t be competitive or at least attract legacy kids who turn into all-ACC players at f’ing VPI. This line of “it’s amazing she got to the tournament” is LOWF shit at it’s worst. we’ve stamped a lot of that shit out out the athetic department by now. Women’s hoops need to be held to the same standard.

Women’s hoops is the most LOWF of Wake programs. It was awesome she got to the tournament and it was amazing in context of how bad this program has been. But obvious that’s not enough long term.

If Currie wants to actually invest in women’s hoops, I’m sure he can find the right person to lead it. For now, I’ll root for Hoover to take her new contract and turn it around. Having Jewel Spear adds to the urgency because we don’t want to waste another year of her talent.

Don't want to waste her talent or see that talent headed elsewhere.

We have a good freshman recruiting class (at least compared to prior years). If we can continue to recruit at that level we should be a perennial tournament team. It would be weird to fire the staff now considering the prior 3 seasons have been an improvement on prior seasons.

Need to get a win tonight against the Tigers. They're a bad team and we need to keep ourselves in the middle of the conference pack.

Lady Deacs up 15-14 at the half. Yeah. That's what ESPN says. Haven't been able to watch yet and I guess I should be grateful. Started up 10-2. 13-6 at the end of the 1st. Scored 2 points in the 2nd. Spear is 1-10 (0-5) with 2 pts. Haven't scored in almost 9 minutes according to our man Stan Lewter.

Last edited:
Lady Deacs up 15-14 at the half. Yeah. That's what ESPN says. Haven't been able to watch yet and I guess I should be grateful. Started up 10-2. 13-6 at the end of the 1st. Scored 2 points in the 2nd. Spear is 1-10 (0-5) with 2 pts. Haven't scored in almost 9 minutes according to our man Stan Lewter.

Lady Deacs look like they run the Manning D ... way too many easy buckets allowed and not much effort to grab rebounds.

Pretty crazy rebounding stats now. Clemson is 12/13 off/def boards and Wake is 14/13. Basically every board is 50/50 up for grabs.

I've got #3 Louisville at #4 State on my tablet. Louisville is killing State in the 2nd. Up 16 including 13-2 in the 2nd.

Down 42-29 at the end of the 3rd. Gave up a 17-2 run over 5 min in the 3rd. Summiel with 4 fouls. Just sad. The level of competition has increased obviously, but they just look poor over the last few games. Clemson is 6-11 (0-6) and put up 28 pts in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Pretty crazy rebounding stats now. Clemson is 12/13 off/def boards and Wake is 14/13. Basically every board is 50/50 up for grabs.

I've got #3 Louisville at #4 State on my tablet. Louisville is killing State in the 2nd. Up 16 including 13-2 in the 2nd.

Down 42-29 at the end of the 3rd. Gave up a 17-2 run over 5 min in the 3rd. Summiel with 4 fouls. Just sad. The level of competition has increased obviously, but they just look poor over the last few games. Clemson is 6-11 (0-6) and put up 28 pts in the 3rd.

We held Clemson to 14 first half points and then gave up 28 in the third quarter.

They miss an insane number of layups. Clemson isn't that much bigger either. #5 is killing them and she's only 6-0.

Clemson isn't defending as well as other teams, even Pitt. Our women just aren't hitting open shots or hustling and they're definitely not playing defense.

Lost 66-44 at home to the worst team in the league. Gave up 52 points in the 2nd half after giving up 14 in the 1st. Unreal.

Shit's going to get ugly on Sunday at #3 Louisville. They're beating #4 State 51-37 at State now.

Last edited:
Back