• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (14-14, 4-13) vs. #22 GT on Sun 1pm ACCNX

Final game of the season right now vs. #22 GT.

Up 33-32 at the half after closing on an 11-2 run.

Morra with 10 and 7. Spear with 9.

Down 48-41 at the end of the 3rd. GT star Cubaj is working on a triple double with 9/12/7.

Down 54-53 at the under 5 timeout. Shooting 5-5 in the 4th.

Lost 64-56. A Summiel 3 was the only scoring after 5:07.

Lady Deacs finish 14-15, 4-14. #11 seed if 3-14 Clemson loses to 9-8 Miami. Three way tiebreaker with Cuse if Clemson wins. We beat Cuse once by 16 and lost to Clemson twice by 11 and 22. Clemson lost to Cuse by 40.

Last edited:
Wednesday 6:30 on Bally with the men's game vs. State afterward at 9:00. Hoover has a far better record in the ACCT than previous women's or men's coaches.

As someone who's very close to the team, the second half of the season has been very disappointing. Feels bad.

Like Hoover is gone bad, mass transfers (including Spear) bad, or both?

For some strange reason our team honored GT seniors with flowers w Jen presenting each senior a bouquet and a hug. Every school has one historically disastrous program that will never be good and ours is WBB. To change this we need money, new coach, better schedule and NIL. I think John wants to win at everything but probably doesn’t want to take this on right now.

Like Hoover is gone bad, mass transfers (including Spear) bad, or both?

Neither. I'd be surprised if anyone transfers. I meant just that the team and coaching staff thinks they should be winning more than they are, and the frustration has been tangible. I'm not really sure what the problem is. I don't have any exposure to other college basketball staffs, but it seems to me like the coaches know what they are doing.

Neither. I'd be surprised if anyone transfers. I meant just that the team and coaching staff thinks they should be winning more than they are, and the frustration has been tangible. I'm not really sure what the problem is. I don't have any exposure to other college basketball staffs, but it seems to me like the coaches know what they are doing.
I mean the proof is in the pudding records don't lie and her record as head coach here has been really bad.

Jewel Spear was named to the 10 player All-ACC 1st team by the Blue Ribbon Panel and to the 5 player 2nd team by the coaches.

Elizabeth Kitley was named ACC POY.

The Lady Deacs play in the ACCT first round at 6:30 on Bally. The men vs. State is afterward at 9:00.

atldeacs, did the team overrate themselves based on an easy OOC? 20-6 Mercer, 18-8 Charlotte, and 22-7 Troy were quality OOC wins and that's it.

Down 29-24 at the half to 5-21 UVA in a rematch of a 68-53 win 3 weeks ago.

Did I mention UVA is shooting 27.5% from the field? Doesn't matter because they have 13 offensive boards and have taken 40 fgs to Wake's 21.

Morra is the only post player with talent and hustle. She's got 8 and 7. She'll be missed. This team is going to be in major trouble in the post next year.

Is it time to question Hoover and her recruiting? This team always has a piece or two, but never a complete package to compete.

I want a coach who played at a program that actually won. I know Hoover loves WF but the women’s bball program has always known losing. Let’s get some fresh blood who actually knows what it takes to win in college.

Down 45-42 to start the 4th. Spear has 20.

Is it time to question Hoover and her recruiting? This team always has a piece or two, but never a complete package to compete.

Yes, but she doesn't get much out of what she has. This year, 4 ACC wins with the ACC leading scorer (18.4) and second leading 3pt shooter (2.9 3pg, .370). 8-10 last year with a 1st teamer, 2nd teamer, and All-Frosh teamer.

In Hoover's first year, she had two second team All-ACC players and sophomore Dearica Hamby and went 5-13. She went 5-13 and 2-16 in Hamby's last two years as a first team All-ACC player. Hamby was the WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year in 2019 and 2020 and made the All-Star team last season.

I want a coach who played at a program that actually won. I know Hoover loves WF but the women’s bball program has always known losing. Let’s get some fresh blood who actually knows what it takes to win in college.

Maybe after the game, I'll look up what some of Pat Summitt's assistants from the 00s are up to nowadays. Seems to be a winning formula.

Last edited:
Up 52-51 at the 5 min timeout. Spear with 23.

Back