• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

Noticed this morning that the ND women obliterated Oklahoma on OU's home court last night, which meant that ND must have been the worse seed. ND hung a 100+ on the Sooners. Fun to see.

She had 2 years at the minimum after the tournament bid last year. No chance of change at the end of this year.

Pretty sad when it was her only appearance after a decade of being here. If she was only 5 years or less in then I think there might be some validity to this, but that's not the case

And it took two all-conference seniors, an all-frosh player, and for Duke, Virginia, and I’m not sure how many programs from other conferences to cancel their seasons for Hoover to make the tournament.

This wasn't a real tournament berth. This was a below .500 team who replaced a team in a pay to play tournament. This was like Rutgers making the Gator Bowl.

And I'm wary that Spear may transfer based on not playing in the WNIT.

Jewel wasn't playing in the WNIT because she's been in a boot and crutches for the past week. Again, I'd be beyond shocked if she goes anywhere as long as Hoover is here.

I mean I don't disagree with you all but there's no way he was giving her a contract extension at the end of last year and then letting her go the following year. I'm hoping that the expectation is that were at least the middle of conference this upcoming year.

And it took two all-conference seniors, an all-frosh player, and for Duke, Virginia, and I’m not sure how many programs from other conferences to cancel their seasons for Hoover to make the tournament.
Virginia was terrible and cost us a win. We would have been competitive but probably favored against duke.

Last edited:
State and Louisville playing at 7:00 and 9:00 tonight in the Elite Eight. The other #1 seeds SC and Stanford are already in the Final Four.

Back and forth game early in the 4Q.

Great game. State ball tied at 61 with 26.6 sec left.

State just hit a 3 to tie it at 77 with 0.8 left in OT. What a game!

UConn won 91-87 in 2OT. Great effort by State. Heck of a game. They almost won against a historical favorite in their territory. Bueckers had 15 points in both OTs.

Louisville is up in the 2nd.

Last edited:
State got screwed on an obvious 5 second call on the inbounds when UConn scored to go up by 4. I counted at least 6 seconds.

Refs also missed a blatant and 1 in 1st OT. State player made the layup and was 1000% fouled. That would've tied the game, and possibly changed trajectory for State to win in 1st OT.

2021-22 Women's Hoops Thread (16-17, 4-14)

Possibly but they did have their chances to win. They came up just short playing against the top recruits in the country, perhaps the best player in the country, the state of Connecticut, the refs, and history.

Great post game interview with Hailey Van Lith. Hilarious that they didn’t bleep it.

All I really knew about her last season was from Wake’s ACC Tournament against Louisville. They managed to contain Dana Evans and keep the game close but Van Lith went off. Then this year I learned she’s one of the top NIL athletes, one of Kobe’s protégés, and dates Jalen Suggs. She fun to watch if she’s not torching your team. Otherwise she’s annoyingly good.

https://youtu.be/lw4H4CSuF7w

This was probably the first women’s game I have watched from start to finish, andi realize this may have been the best two teams in the country, but for those of you, like me, who have struggled to get through a full Wake game, the talent and level of play is in a different world than even 5 years ago.

The women’s game will continue on an upward trajectory, and Wake needs to get their act together and be competitive. I trust that Currie knows this.

At this point, it seems safe to think Hoover is coming back for 2022-23.

I guess. I'm still holding out hope. It doesn't seem like there have been a ton of firings in men's or women's hoops yet.

This was probably the first women’s game I have watched from start to finish, andi realize this may have been the best two teams in the country, but for those of you, like me, who have struggled to get through a full Wake game, the talent and level of play is in a different world than even 5 years ago.

The women’s game will continue on an upward trajectory, and Wake needs to get their act together and be competitive. I trust that Currie knows this.

Yeah, that was easily the most I've ever watched of a women's basketball game in many years, and it was pretty fun. Some clutch 3s, good FT shooting, solid defense. I was pulling for NC State because I feel some affinity for the JOBBING they received from the NCAA letting the #2 seed have a straight up home game in the Elite 8 against the #1 seed. Wes Moore was easily Debbie Yow's best hire.

That play to get the game-tying three was straight-up brilliant. Great execution and obviously a great shot.

FSU's head coach retired. I assumed they'd hire Brooke Wyckoff who was the interim coach last year when Semrau was on leave.

Cuse had an interim head coach.

UVa was a firing.

I think Hoover is staying, but like I said I'm still holding out hope.

FSU's head coach retired. I assumed they'd hire Brooke Wyckoff who was the interim coach last year when Semrau was on leave.

Cuse had an interim head coach.

UVa was a firing.

I think Hoover is staying, but like I said I'm still holding out hope.

You want her to be fired 1 year after making the tourney?

You want her to be fired 1 year after making the tourney?

She made the tourney in a fluky pandemic season in which several programs didn't even have a season with an 8-10 ACC record despite having two all-conference seniors and an all-frosh player. I think 2020-21 is the peak of what Hoover can do and it's not clear that team would have made the tourney in a normal season.

Back