• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

I thought I read somewhere that the other assistants followed Dickerson to W&M but that may be wrong.

I thought I read somewhere that the other assistants followed Dickerson to W&M but that may be wrong.

It's possible. It doesn't look like the coaching staff bios have been updated for 2022-23 except for adding Dickerson. Of course, she may have kept the former W&M staff.

It's possible. It doesn't look like the coaching staff bios have been updated for 2022-23 except for adding Dickerson. Of course, she may have kept the former W&M staff.

Ah yes, the tried-and-true Wellman/[Redacted] approach.

Hire one of Dawn Staley's assistants and sign their cast-offs to our roster.

Hire one of Dawn Staley's assistants and sign their cast-offs to our roster.

I checked out her staff back in March when I was hoping Currie would make this move. Staley's staff doesn't seem likely to leave. The top assistant has been with Staley since Temple. Another was an assistant for the Charlotte Sting when Staley played there and was an assistant for Staley at Temple then again at SC. The other is a former head coach at Illinois, former Tennessee assistant after Currie left and before he came back and she's from Florence.

100% agree. Money considerations took precedence over competitive considerations.

I would have thought she could have gone two years ago. If you look at her record, it was really close to the same in both overall & ACC as Danny Manning. They both should never have been hired with just a year or two of experience before taking over an ACC school. And just because she was a past Wake star should not have allowed her to stay longer than a Manning with a similar record.

Dane Sparrow followed Dickerson to W&M; Cherie Cordoba "moved back to Australia," per WF spokesman. Heard the DOBO left, too.

Entire staff leaves, returning players were 4-14, no impact players coming in and the worst ACC program this past season (UVA) fired their coach. One can question timing but the decision was absolutely the correct one.

So all the assistant coaches left but no players entered the portal. That's strange.

No worries.

According to PhD, the timing is irrelevant... Wait the timing was actually a benefit for WF women's basketball.

WF will easily be able to build a roster for next year even after the entire HS class of 2022 is committed and all of the tranfser portal candidates have selected new schools. Further, next year's recruiting won't be impacted despite the fact that WFF hasn't even started on working the HS class of 2023, while other schools are landing commitments.

Pilch, you agreed that firing Hoover 10 years after her original contract was buyout related. That was my only point that you didn't understand until birdman s-p-e-l-l-e-d it out for you.

On top of that, Currie himself said the timing would allow him to do the search without a lot of noise.

Why are you worried about building a roster through 2022 HS recruiting and the transfer portal? The two seniors are going to be replaced by the two recruits. As far as I can see, there are no scholarships available. Nobody has entered the portal. Nobody has decommitted. I give the AD props for keeping the program remarkably stable despite a disappointing season and no coaching staff.

Currie is searching for a coach under the silence we're used to. We'll probably find out something in a week or so.

Two signing day commits. Katie Deeble is a 5-8 G who played on the 2021 FIBA U19 team for Australia. She's playing pro ball in Australia this season. Skye Owen is a 5-7 PG from Staten Island ranked the #26 PG in the country by ESPNW.

https://godeacs.com/news/2021/11/11...-deeble-and-owen-on-national-signing-day.aspx

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but as bad as the program has been since forever, one more year added to the (re)building plan is really only a big deal for those players currently on the roster. From any other viewpoint, another bad year is just another bad year, regardless of why it happens.

I don't understand why people are giving PH a hard time about this, other than him doing his typical bunker mentality schtick. The buyout was almost assuredly cheaper after May 8, since that was the next year of Hoover's contract. For a team that has been mostly uncompetitive and will take significant time and energy to make into a competitor, the AD might as well save some money at the start. Use that extra money to hire a better coach. Making this move a month earlier would have very little outcome on next season, and not much more on future years.

Anybody have an educated guess as to what Hoover's salary was? Maybe $250k-400k? I can't imagine it was enough where a few months buyout would make all that big of a difference.

I'm poking PhDeac because he has resisted acknowledging that the decision to delay the firing was detrimental to: a) the players on the current roster (as noted above), b) and the short term prospects for WF women's basketball. It has become clear that this move was in the works for months, but the formal act of terminating Hoover was delayed two months to save money on the buyout. That's why the assistant coaches abandoned the program in March and April, as they knew their jobs were toast.

A few things about the way this done:

a) No one (or almost no one except Jen Hoover) disagrees with move; it was time to find a new direction for WF WBB. Guessing that the decision to fire Hoover was such a good thing among the few that care about women's hoop would just prefer to overlook the shitty timing of the move or the adverse impact on the current players or WF women's basketball short term prospects;

b) By waiting to make the move, while money was saved, WF women's basketball will again be at a competitive disadvantage as compared to all WF's compeitors, and let's use UVA as an example, as UVA made a coaching change at the end of the season, and on March 21, 2022 UVA named Amaka Aguga-Hamilton as it's new coach, since that date:

1) April 4, 2022 - UVA names a new staff
2) April 14, 2022 - UVA signs a 2022 recruit
3) April 25, 2022- UVA signs a top 100 2022 recruit
4) April 29, 2022 - UVA adds a transfer from Minnesota
5) May 9, 2022 - UVA's new coach is named to the USA Basketball U18 Trials staff
6) There's probably a ton of other changes/improvements that UVA women's basketball has made over the last two months that aren't identified above

c) So, it's now May 17, 2022, and WF still has no coach. The window to sign class of 2022 has closed (absent unusual circumstances), the window to land transfer portal candidates is limited, if not closed, and WF is falling further behind getting its name out to the Class of 2023.

Pretty clear that WF women's hoop is not a huge priority for the athletic department. Understand. There's a finite amount of resources for the WF budget, and WF women's hoop is at best, in the middle of the pack on the priority list. So, if that means that WF bags a key recruiting period and the window to find the best coaching candidates, I'm not going to challenge the decision to save some money even if it means further falling behind the ACC schools that WF is trying to beat. Even so, let's not deny that reality.

Whomever WF brings in will need a long runaway because WF's ability to compete in women's hoop was already limited, and WF is now pretty much back to square one.

Last edited:
This link estimates Hoover made $400K in 2019-20 which would be near the bottom of the conference. Given how estimates of Wake coach salaries tend to be low, she was probably closer to $500K which would still be near the bottom of the conference. I'm guessing her extension last year came with a bump. A new coach would probably cost closer to the median salary ~$750K, so saving every dollar counts.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/ac...centage-and-1-is-who-you-would-expect.156130/

Last edited:
This link estimates Hoover made $400K in 2019-20 which would be near the bottom of the conference. Given how estimates of Wake coach salaries tend to be low, she was probably closer to $500K which would still be near the bottom of the conference. I'm guessing her extension last year came with a bump. A new coach would probably cost closer to the median salary ~$750K, so saving every dollar counts.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/ac...centage-and-1-is-who-you-would-expect.156130/

I have no idea what Hoover's salary was, and she isn't listed on Wake's most recently available 990 (FY 19/20), but for comparison sake, Gillespie (Dean of the College) has the lowest listed reportable compensation at $370K, Walter is at $479K, Iacovou (Dean of the B School) is at $504K, Aiken (Dean of the Law School) is at $523K and Ruggerio is at $545K (obviously Clawson and Manning are also reported). That doesn't necessarily mean Hoover made less than $370K because the boxes designating why a person was included aren't checked for anyone other than officers and trustees, so I'm not entirely sure who is a key employee and who is a five highest compensated employee, other than key employees, but that would be my best guess. I would also be pretty surprised if our women's basketball coach made more than our baseball coach.

FWIW, the most recent "evaluation period" which is defined as "the specific time of year when college coaches can watch an athlete compete in person or visit their school." just ended yesterday; this is the third "evaluation period" since the season ended in March. The next one isn't until July 6. The last evaluation period of the Summer for women's basketball ends July 25. The first contact period for the 2022-23 season begins September 1. So, would think that WF would want to have a staff in place in advance of the two July eval periods.

Back