• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

The freshmen have been forced into action and played very well the last two games. Maybe Hoover will have more depth than expected during conference play.

The younger women having success when put into a play well or lose to a cupcake scenario should boost their confidence. That will pay dividends when the opponents get tougher.

It will be interesting to see how Hoover handles rotations with the full squad in ACC play.

Andrews had already been getting plenty of playing time. She played 20 and 21 minutes the 3 games before the COVID absences. She had 2 and 11 vs. ETSU on 0-7 shooting, but had 19 and 11 vs. SC State. I'm guessing she'll keep playing between 15-20 min in ACC play.

Here's where it gets interesting. Cowles had basically only played in garbage time until the last two games. Then she started and had 20 and 8 on 9-9 fg and 8 and 6 on 4-5 fg. She's 6-3 and this team could use more frontcourt depth. Gotta think she gets some rotation minutes now.

Conley came off the bench the last two games and played 28 and 26 minutes after basically playing garbage time minutes all season. She had 14 and 4 and 13 and 12. She shot 5-11 from deep. I'm not sure there are as many minutes for her as there are for Cowles but gotta think she's play a little more than she was.

Have there been any reports about Kaia Harrison? She got injured awhile back and I haven't seen anything since. She was already coming off the bench behind Williams but having her back would help depth as well.

It will be interesting to see how Hoover handles rotations with the full squad in ACC play.

Andrews had already been getting plenty of playing time. She played 20 and 21 minutes the 3 games before the COVID absences. She had 2 and 11 vs. ETSU on 0-7 shooting, but had 19 and 11 vs. SC State. I'm guessing she'll keep playing between 15-20 min in ACC play.

Here's where it gets interesting. Cowles had basically only played in garbage time until the last two games. Then she started and had 20 and 8 on 9-9 fg and 8 and 6 on 4-5 fg. She's 6-3 and this team could use more frontcourt depth. Gotta think she gets some rotation minutes now.

Conley came off the bench the last two games and played 28 and 26 minutes after basically playing garbage time minutes all season. She had 14 and 4 and 13 and 12. She shot 5-11 from deep. I'm not sure there are as many minutes for her as there are for Cowles but gotta think she's play a little more than she was.

Have there been any reports about Kaia Harrison? She got injured awhile back and I haven't seen anything since. She was already coming off the bench behind Williams but having her back would help depth as well.

Kaia should be back semi-soon, she's had problems with her ankle. I don't think Malaya will play much when we are back at full health. We're just missing Christina, Olivia and Niyah from covid protocol and Scruggs has been out with a concussion. That's four people that will play in front of her. Agree that Alyssa and Reagan will be playing more spots minutes - both of them can really shoot.

Miami had to forfeit against Duke sunday. If covid gets crazy, I am not sure how i feel about that policy.

Miami had to forfeit against Duke sunday. If covid gets crazy, I am not sure how i feel about that policy.

Whoa. No reschedules? Just straight forfeits? Is that because they didn’t have vaxxed players?

The ladies also just signed a very good 6’1” player from Spain who is immediately eligible. She signed with YClA last spring but did not enroll. She is apparently the player to be named later in the Gina Conti deal.

The ladies also just signed a very good 6’1” player from Spain who is immediately eligible. She signed with YClA last spring but did not enroll. She is apparently the player to be named later in the Gina Conti deal.

Thanks for explaining. I saw her on the roster and wondered why I never noticed her before.

Hypothetically she could probably play but she barely speaks English and doesn't know the playbook so I'd be shocked if she does.

Hypothetically she could probably play but she barely speaks English and doesn't know the playbook so I'd be shocked if she does.

I would bet that at least a few of the team fulfilled their language requirement with Spanish.

Plenty of Americans play ball overseas before they know the language. Part of the game.

Plenty of Americans play ball overseas before they know the language. Part of the game.

Somewhere on campus I suspect they can find someone who is fluent in both Spanish and English and knows something about basketball. This person could serve as translator/tutor for her.

Baseball makes it work with Japanese. Surely Wake can do the same with Spanish.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (10-1 #46 NET): at #18 GT - Sunday 6pm on ACCN

Lady Deacs still short handed. Scored the first basket at McCamish but are down 7-2 on ACCN.

Scruggs is back off the bench. Looks like Summiel, Becker, and Morra travelled and are sitting on the bench wearing masks. Tech’s head coach is out for health and safety protocols.

Last edited:
2021-22 Women's Basketball Thread (10-1 #46 NET): at #18 GT - Sunday 6pm on ACCN

Yes. But it happened at a good time. Two gimme games and a tough road ACC game but no more games until Dec 30. And the young player have gotten some confidence.

They’re missing everything right now but are only down 17-12.

Thanks for sucking me into another Wake sport I need to follow.

Has not been a good first half up to this point. Offense can’t buy a bucket.

4-25 fg

Good Tech D, sloppy O, bad luck on layups.

Back