• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

Was hoping the mid-year pickup from Spain would help but she’s not playing at all.

Big opportunity for an upset at home tonight vs. #20 Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Spear needs the ball in her hands more. It's frustrating. Her only good touch, she crossed up her defender and threw a skip pass to an open Becker who missed the shot. It's a better alternative than the other four players trying to find an open player amongst themselves. Down 9-2 early.

My God, she's begging for the ball against their zone. Finally took and missed a deep 3.

Trailed 16-2. Harrison and Spear hit threes. Cowles got two baskets in a 10-1 run. But ND hit a deep 3 at the buzzer to make it 20-12. Ugly start but they started making better passes against the zone.

ND up 37-22. They hit another late three but Harrison countered with a nice buzzer beater runner down the lane. 10 turnovers in the quarter. Ugly basketball. Spear has 5 points on 2-4 fg.

ND up 37-22. They hit another late three but Harrison countered with a nice buzzer beater runner down the lane. 10 turnovers in the quarter. Ugly basketball. Spear has 5 points on 2-4 fg.

Barring an epic collapse we should still make the NIT and I would consider that a success.

I don't think you can bar an epic collapse. That's the problem. 5.5 games into ACC play, only one player has scored in double-figures (Morra twice). This is a one player team and it's easy to contain that one player unless Hoover makes adjustments and someone else steps up.

I don't think you can bar an epic collapse. That's the problem. 5.5 games into ACC play, only one player has scored in double-figures (Morra twice). This is a one player team and it's easy to contain that one player unless Hoover makes adjustments and someone else steps up.

That’s very true. Luckily their are a lot of terrible teams in the ACC. We are going to lose, probably badly, to all of the good teams but at least we have one good player which the bottom 1/2-1/3 can’t say.

Won’t let me edit but I obviously meant “there.” I’m not a dumb!

Scored 30 points in the 4th to make it a respectable 74-64 final. I didn't watch it. ND only went 8 deep so they must have played better against the main rotation. Spear had 17 on 6-10 (5-9). Summiel had 12 and 11. Scruggs had 10. First ACC game with 3 players in double figures.

Scored 30 points in the 4th to make it a respectable 74-64 final. I didn't watch it. ND only went 8 deep so they must have played better against the main rotation. Spear had 17 on 6-10 (5-9). Summiel had 12 and 11. Scruggs had 10. First ACC game with 3 players in double figures.
We made a big run late, but ND was comfortably ahead by 15 most of the game. ND kept doubling Spear, and we couldn't find the open player to capitalize. Happy to see Summiel finish with a double double. She really stepped up towards the end of the game. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Important chance to get a road win tomorrow. Pitt is 9-7 (0-5). The 2-4 Lady Deacs have picked up two wins against teams below them in the standings with an ugly win at 1-2 Miami and comeback win vs. 1-3 FSU that of course was followed up by a complete beatdown last weekend. With Clemson at home on Thursday, the women could be 4-4 before heading to #3 Louisville next Sunday.

Tough game at 0-5 PItt so far. Down 29-21 at the half, but on a 8-0 run to start the half to tie the game at 29. Spear with 7 and 6.

Going to have to work hard to not be Pitt's first win. Pitt is not good.

Hoover more and more looking like Danny Manning Part 2. I hope Currie didn’t extend her contract for too long.

Pitt followed up our 8-0 run to tie with a 13-3 run. Pitt up 42-36. The most frustrating thing about this team is that if it's tough to get the ball to Spear they just don't.

Pitt up 48-45 with 4:47 left.

I think Elise Williams will eventually be a nice PG mate for Spear. But this team really needs a big big enough to pass out of a double team. Morra works hard but if she's doubled, there's nothing she can do but force up a shot, travel, or throw the ball away.

Pitt up 55-45 with 2:29 left after 5 straight Wake turnovers all on walks, offensive fouls, or just losing the ball.

Last edited:
Pitt followed up our 8-0 run to tie with a 13-3 run. Pitt up 42-36. The most frustrating thing about this team is that if it's tough to get the ball to Spear they just don't.

Pitt up 48-45 with 4:47 left.

I think Elise Williams will eventually be a nice PG mate for Spear. But this team really needs a big big enough to pass out of a double team. Morra works hard but if she's doubled, there's nothing she can do but force up a shot, travel, or throw the ball away.

Pitt up 55-45 with 2:29 left after 5 straight Wake turnovers all on walks, offensive fouls, or just losing the ball.

They are a frustrating team to watch right now - not playing smart on offense or defense.

Yeah. This team doesn't have much talent aside from Spear, but they could get away with it by playing smart basketball. They play hard but not smart.

Bad loss. That was Pitt's first ACC win in 11 months. That pretty much kills any hopes of getting on the NCAA bubble.

Last edited:
Back