• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT number: onward to KORY BOWL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a Wake alumn on Summer House at one point - Everett Weston.

Wow no kidding I just looked him up and he’s an 07 grad. Seems like a good dude. Glad he left that psycho Lindsey and got engaged to a new chick.

it'd be very hard to replace what we have now living-wise in AVL.. city with tons of good food, good drinks/breweries, a RIVER, plenty of outdoors options and activities nearby, we're in a neighborhood that's extremely walkable to lots of that (like a quarter mile from the river!), but if we were ever gonna move I think it'd have to be either:

Winston because we've got a tonnn of friends living there these days, and you can get a lot of house for the money still relative to other cities.. main concern is that there really isn't a walkable-to-stuff area that's super great.. west end area maybe the best in this regard? food/drink is definitely way better than it was but not quite AVL level yet

OR

Chattanooga because family, but it also has a river and pretty good food/drink options, and also good outdoors stuff nearby

I'd longshot consider Greenville, SC, but then it'd mean living in SC, so...

summer house (and winter house, now, I guess) and any below decks are the trash TV I indulge in with the wife.. it's not bad at all.

Have to? I fucking love Bravo shows. My biggest guilty pleasure by far. Southern Charm, Vanderpump Rules and Summer House are at the top of my list.

It's a fair trade because I like them all. Except the Housewives shows. I also love Below Deck.

summer house (and winter house, now, I guess) and any below decks are the trash TV I indulge in with the wife.. it's not bad at all.

Ah shit how did I forget about Below Deck? So good. The chefs are always my favorite crew members, just so reliably deranged.

cousin just submitted an app to be on below deck

you don't have to say the # but is there a salary you have in your head where you're like if i made this much $ I would be happy

I'm older than most of you here and can tell you from experience that how much you make is an important factor but (i) how much you "need" and (ii) what you do with the money you make are just as important when it comes to creating happiness. Money stress for me was always created by worry about whether I would have enough money to pay for big things I knew I was going to have to pay for someday - mostly kid-related... private schools we decided to send them to, college, weddings, cars, etc. etc. I created this stress myself by, first of all, establishing high expectations for what I wanted to provide (the aforementioned private schools, cars, clothes, vacations, etc. etc.), and second (and worst) of all, lacking the discipline to save on other things and for the future in order to provide those things.

Now that my kids are grown and college is paid for and it is just us, I make more than enough to have no money stress - other than the fact that my lack of discipline also means I have less saved for retirement than I should. As long as they let me work for another 5 years or so at my current level (and the market cooperates) that will work out fine as well... I am incredibly blessed that I have literally done everything wrong but, so far, have ended up fine...

I'll wax philosophical for a moment for you youngsters... Save your money aggressively for the future and avoid debt as much as possible - debt creates stress and lack of debt equals freedom. Use debt primarily to acquire things that will make you money - your house, a new business, rental property - not things that will cost you money - cars, boats, etc. At the same time, within reason, don't scrimp when it comes to spending money on experiences - they bring much more joy than things... And be generous with the time you spend with your family and friends - enjoy and appreciate every moment.

it'd be very hard to replace what we have now living-wise in AVL.. city with tons of good food, good drinks/breweries, a RIVER, plenty of outdoors options and activities nearby, we're in a neighborhood that's extremely walkable to lots of that (like a quarter mile from the river!), but if we were ever gonna move I think it'd have to be either:

Winston because we've got a tonnn of friends living there these days, and you can get a lot of house for the money still relative to other cities.. main concern is that there really isn't a walkable-to-stuff area that's super great.. west end area maybe the best in this regard? food/drink is definitely way better than it was but not quite AVL level yet

OR

Chattanooga because family, but it also has a river and pretty good food/drink options, and also good outdoors stuff nearby

I'd longshot consider Greenville, SC, but then it'd mean living in SC, so...

I’ve spent a little time in Chattanooga & realllllly liked it. Greenville is cool but people there are obsessed with it, thinking it’s the best city ever. I’ve mentioned it before but I don’t think it deserves to be on the top 10 small/medium/whatever city lists.

Money for me is all about instant gratification or maybe that’s just the millennial mindset but definitely agree with experiences over material things. I talked before about how my neighbors behind me cut down all these trees. My dad, just plant some fast growing trees they will grow and you won’t even notice in like 6 years. Me, sounds like a good idea, 1000s of dollars later 10 foot trees planted.

"and the market cooperates"

pretty bananas that the system for retirement savings that we've devised for ourselves relies a good bit on luck of market timing

I’ve spent a little time in Chattanooga & realllllly liked it. Greenville is cool but people there are obsessed with it, thinking it’s the best city ever. I’ve mentioned it before but I don’t think it deserves to be on the top 10 small/medium/whatever city lists.

I haven't lived in Greenville (SC) but spent some time there b/c my daughter lived there and I would say it is the coolest/prettiest small-ish town I have ever spent any time in... The river, the walkability of the downtown, near/in the mountains, minor league baseball, etc. etc. - just really cool. My daughter said it was terrible for single people her age at the time but I thought it was awesome.

Much different than airplanes but my place here & my last place in Texas are both across the street from a railroad and I love hearing trains now. Where I’m at now is an Amtrak station that I’ve thought about hopping on and taking to wherever but it picks up at 1:41 AM so that’s basically an immediate dealbreaker.
Same for me with the trains. And also church bells. Make for delightful noise pollution

I did an overnight amtrak to go to the wake-army game. Was great fun

Good post scooter. I have some different ideas about some of that but appreciate the wisdom.

I would love to live in Damascus if it weren't for the billion Creeper trail people. Abingdon is kinda cool though. I think I'm going to retire in Independence or Mouth of Wilson.

"and the market cooperates"

pretty bananas that the system for retirement savings that we've devised for ourselves relies a good bit on luck of market timing

generally it doesn't - retirement planning by definition is long-term planning and the market has always proven to be a good investment in the long term. It is only when you get down to individual years that timing comes into it. I probably shouldn't even have said 'if the market cooperates' - 5 years is still long enough to recover even if we have a correction.

I would love to live in Damascus if it weren't for the billion Creeper trail people. Abingdon is kinda cool though. I think I'm going to retire in Independence or Mouth of Wilson.

damascus is awesome

my close friends have a cabin in galax (i guess their family owns about half the town)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back