• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT number: onward to KORY BOWL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back in for the ACC Championship Football game, should it actually happen. If Wake makes it, I mean... Because it'll happen anyway.

Probably just me and my 7yo daughter, who is already WAY too fired up about the possibility.

My 6yo is ecstatic to talk football with your 7yo

Could be worse. When my MIL and FIL visited after the twins were born, we had one kid at home and one in the NICU still. Apparently we were not doing enough for the In-laws that weekend, as one of us was spending the day at the hospital and we were up with a newborn all night. On what ended up being their last night, we invited them back for Christmas and my in laws started laying into us for not doing enough for them for while they were here (my FIL complaining about how I didn't fix him enough drinks while a glass of Bourbon I had just poured sat in front of him), and said they wanted to lay down how they expected to be treated in our house. Became a big thing, I left and walked the dog, came back and apologized for not being aware of their feelings, but the father wasnt having it, so we ended up asking them to leave. I got them a hotel room and asked them to leave the house, became another big thing. Suffice it to say my MIL hasnt spoken to my wife and I since then.

Amazing. That’s a near relationship ender, even assuming they wise up and apologize profusely. But I imagine they’re sitting back waiting for you to apologize first.

Could be worse. When my MIL and FIL visited after the twins were born, we had one kid at home and one in the NICU still. Apparently we were not doing enough for the In-laws that weekend, as one of us was spending the day at the hospital and we were up with a newborn all night. On what ended up being their last night, we invited them back for Christmas and my in laws started laying into us for not doing enough for them for while they were here (my FIL complaining about how I didn't fix him enough drinks while a glass of Bourbon I had just poured sat in front of him), and said they wanted to lay down how they expected to be treated in our house. Became a big thing, I left and walked the dog, came back and apologized for not being aware of their feelings, but the father wasnt having it, so we ended up asking them to leave. I got them a hotel room and asked them to leave the house, became another big thing. Suffice it to say my MIL hasnt spoken to my wife and I since then.

I am really sorry to hear about this. It's sort of easy for me to say as an outside observer, but these in-laws can fuck right off. I am impressed that you got the hotel and asked them to leave. Right on.

Amazing. That’s a near relationship ender, even assuming they wise up and apologize profusely. But I imagine they’re sitting back waiting for you to apologize first.

they can apologize to atreides

I am really sorry to hear about this. It's sort of easy for me to say as an outside observer, but these in-laws can fuck right off. I am impressed that you got the hotel and asked them to leave. Right on.

Yeah, I am non-confrontational enough that I probably would’ve just gone to the hospital and slept in the recliner in the NICU and let my wife take care of her parents.

For what it's worth, My parents used to do this kind of stuff with me and my first wife, but I still have a relationship with my parents, it just took time to set boundaries and have them respected. My mom and dad threw tantrum after tantrum that my first wedding was not going to be Catholic enough and threw me and my then fiancée out of the house one occasion. Other occasions while visiting, I just packed up and left; my wife so pissed once that she packed up her stiff and called a cab to take us to the train station, our plane wasn't for another few days, but figured it out. That's one reason I rarely fly when visiting them any more, in case I have to leave early. Anyway, I just set my own boundaries and stick to them, which seems to work ok as long as I steel my self to guilt trips etc. We have not had a big problem with them in about 5 years. I really don't want to never speak to my parents again so I've figured out a way to make it acceptable.

taking a poll. how much overlap is there between these grandzillas and fox news viewers? i have to think 80%+

taking a poll. how much overlap is there between these grandzillas and fox news viewers? i have to think 80%+

My parents are not foxnews people. They are very anti-trump. Also anti-democrat, though. Voted third party in 2016 and 2020.

Oh absolutely, my MIL has never apologized for a single thing in her life, and I think it will be tough for both sides to come back together, but in the end I am going to do what my wife wants me to do. She supported my choices that night, so I am going to support how she wants to move forward.

how can one person quash holidays for everyone else?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

speaking of, best cinematic scrooge?

our family has always been partial to George C Scott

we have some difficult characters in our families, a similar but not nearly as bad story as Timmy's with my mom the first time she and my stepdad visited their grandson

they didn't hold the kid except to take a pic once over a 3 day weekend, sat on the couch on their phones while my wife and i cooked them meals and planned activities and took care of the kid round the clock. we had to lay down some ground rules the next time through and ask them to engage with our son a bit more and either help around the house/cook/buy a dinner at least once while they were in town. my stepdad said some really dumb shit, and it nearly got ugly, but he just backed down and looked at his phone for the rest of the weekend.

my mother in law is an angel, and my dad while aloof and unhelpful in many ways is very generous with his time and attention. unfortunately my FIL and wife are more or less estranged.

the thing that has really turned things around was my brother in law and his wife having a kid a few months after us--now we can all hang together and the cousins can grow up together, which is just a phenomenal feeling.

A couple quotes from the weekend "They will never catch them but the Democrats used the mail-in votes to steal the election." "I think Trump was setup on January 6th."

ya I would say you're right

So people who have kids not only inconvenience us all when taking them out of the house, they inconvenience everyone who comes over to their house too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back