• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT number: onward to KORY BOWL

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents are not foxnews people. They are very anti-trump. Also anti-democrat, though. Voted third party in 2016 and 2020.

I’ve said this before I think, but Trump turned my mother, who was a lifelong republican, into a raging liberal.

speaking of, best cinematic scrooge?

our family has always been partial to George C Scott

Not that I have seen a ton of productions with which to compare it, but I like this version too.

It’s one of three Christmas movies I make a point to try to watch annually, the others being white Christmas and Christmas vacation.

Could be worse. When my MIL and FIL visited after the twins were born, we had one kid at home and one in the NICU still. Apparently we were not doing enough for the In-laws that weekend, as one of us was spending the day at the hospital and we were up with a newborn all night. On what ended up being their last night, we invited them back for Christmas and my in laws started laying into us for not doing enough for them for while they were here (my FIL complaining about how I didn't fix him enough drinks while a glass of Bourbon I had just poured sat in front of him), and said they wanted to lay down how they expected to be treated in our house. Became a big thing, I left and walked the dog, came back and apologized for not being aware of their feelings, but the father wasnt having it, so we ended up asking them to leave. I got them a hotel room and asked them to leave the house, became another big thing. Suffice it to say my MIL hasnt spoken to my wife and I since then.

This needed a trigger warning, I am fired up.

Can we all agree that turkey kind of sucks. Thanksgiving deserves a better main dish.

Not that I have seen a ton of productions with which to compare it, but I like this version too.

It’s one of three Christmas movies I make a point to try to watch annually, the others being white Christmas and Christmas vacation.

gotta watch planes, trains, and automobiles on wednesday or thursday

I’ve said this before I think, but Trump turned my mother, who was a lifelong republican, into a raging liberal.

My mom was a life long Pub but voted for Obama in 2008. Absolutely hates Hillary.

in-laws are lifelong pubs but abhorred Trump mainly because he's a boorish asshole, not so much for policy reasons. but they voted Hillary and Biden, although my FIL kept liking to remind us about how great his 401K was doing under the first few Trump years. but they only watch CNN.

need to find out who they voted for VA governor since Youngkin might be palatable enough for them.

Could be worse. When my MIL and FIL visited after the twins were born, we had one kid at home and one in the NICU still. Apparently we were not doing enough for the In-laws that weekend, as one of us was spending the day at the hospital and we were up with a newborn all night. On what ended up being their last night, we invited them back for Christmas and my in laws started laying into us for not doing enough for them for while they were here (my FIL complaining about how I didn't fix him enough drinks while a glass of Bourbon I had just poured sat in front of him), and said they wanted to lay down how they expected to be treated in our house. Became a big thing, I left and walked the dog, came back and apologized for not being aware of their feelings, but the father wasnt having it, so we ended up asking them to leave. I got them a hotel room and asked them to leave the house, became another big thing. Suffice it to say my MIL hasnt spoken to my wife and I since then.

Fuck. That's brutal.

My MIL is amazing. My FIL and his third wife are really bad and we stopped visiting them (they won't come to us). Nothing as bad as what happened to you, but similar with respect to their expectations -- they are just more subtle about how they let it be known. Facetiming is enough.

We almost packed up during my last visit to my parents’ house which I found shocking.

My dad is very much set in his routine and does not like it to be disrupted. My mom came to help after my wife’s surgery and was a MASSIVE help but then my brother and dad came over and (I love them but) it would have been less stressful if it had just been us.

Should prolly just leave my phone in the car to make sure I don't offend someone who thinks I'm not paying their kid enough attention

Can we all agree that turkey kind of sucks. Thanksgiving deserves a better main dish.

Just more Thanksgiving lies fed to you at school, the holiday co-opted by big Turkey to make their nut every year since sandwiches weren’t cutting it.

We almost packed up during my last visit to my parents’ house which I found shocking.

My dad is very much set in his routine and does not like it to be disrupted. My mom came to help after my wife’s surgery and was a MASSIVE help but then my brother and dad came over and (I love them but) it would have been less stressful if it had just been us.

Oh man, when I had cancer 10 years ago, my mom came to stay with us to "help." She tried to give my dogs away because they "were dirty and spread disease" and she was stressed that I don't keep vodka in the house so went out to find a liquor store but could not find an open one so she called me repeatedly yelling at me: "How could you not know where the liquor store is?" It was Sunday and most of the ABC's were closed. It was very fortunate that a couple days later she decided that she was causing more stress than she was alleviating and decided to go.

This needed a trigger warning, I am fired up.

Want to get really fired up? My wife refuses to tell the rest of her family what actually transpired, because "that would be gossip." So the In-laws are telling people we threw them out in the middle of the night for no real reason and with no where to go.

that sucks timmy. agree with others who call that borderline estrangement territory. my M+FILs are normally really nice to me and their grandkids. However, they are extremely self centered. no way they realize it and their three daughters all suffer to a varying degree from the same affliction. my wife is actually capable of recognizing when she is doing it and stopping. her sister's not so much. nice but everything is about them. worst in law story i have.

when our second kid was born both our sets of parents visited and stayed a few days. we were having a big family dinner. at that point my father in law would come to visit us and then sit at the head of the table for every meal like it was his right. i don't really care about that stuff so it was simply an inside joke with my wife and i. i was serving food for our daughter (about 3) cutting food up and stuff. i hear her dad calling across the length of the table

"i want dark meat. dark meat. i want dark meat."

i look from my daughter to my still post prego/delivery hormone hormone filled and fueled wife is putting some chicken on my plate.

he keeps calling for dark meat. "i said i want dark meat." - imagine will ferrell yelling for his mom to bring the meat loaf. -
dark meat deaconson's wife. i said "I want the dark meat."

my wife lost it and yelled back in extreme hormonal anger " i don't care what kind of fucking meat you want. you need to wait your fucking turn." before immediately standing up and storming out of the room to start bawling and storm upstairs to the bedroom. the room is dead silent. daughter is scared. form the top of the stairs we here her yell to herself "DARK MEAT? I just had a fucking baby"

i passed the potatoes or something and chipperly said "dig in!" gave her a few minutes to calm herself and calm our daughter before checking on her. he did apologize to her later but i'm pretty sure it was only after MIL gave him a talking to about how selfish he was being.

that was the last time he ever sat at the head of the table. out of an abundance of spite my wife and i just took "his chair" from then on. he tried once but i sat down on it before he got to it at the next meal and my wife sat at the other side. he just looked from side to side for a moment like a lost and confused puppy.

The next day turkey sandwiches are crazy overrated. On Thursday (assuming it’s well prepared) you get hot and juicy white meat covered in gravy. On Friday you get dried out white meat that needs a scoop of mayo to be palatable, unless you’re one of those weirdos who’s afraid of mayo too. PASS.

The next day turkey sandwiches are crazy overrated. On Thursday (assuming it’s well prepared) you get hot and juicy white meat covered in gravy. On Friday you get dried out white meat that needs a scoop of mayo to be palatable, unless you’re one of those weirdos who’s afraid of mayo too. PASS.

yeah, to say the best part of a meal is the day after when everything is objectively less great. wtf guys. just make a turkey sandwich on thanksgiving

taking a poll. how much overlap is there between these grandzillas and fox news viewers? i have to think 80%+

Oh absolutely, my MIL has never apologized for a single thing in her life, and I think it will be tough for both sides to come back together, but in the end I am going to do what my wife wants me to do. She supported my choices that night, so I am going to support how she wants to move forward.

yeah no matter how juicy the turkey is on Thursday (and mine always is, Kenji spatchcock FTW), the sandwiches the next day need plenty of mayo to give them life. I like cranberry sauce but not on turkey so it'll never go on my sandwich. we usually make turkey soup with the carcass and that's usually pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back