• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT number: onward to KORY BOWL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some barbecue places around here that do smoked turkey and I will order that sometimes as a curveball. It’s good as hell.

Wow. There has to be more to this story...

Did you have a bad relationship before this?
How did your wife react to her own parents acting this way?
Do they have some kind of special situation (ill health) that needs more attention?

I don't blame you one bit for kicking them out, sad that is what you have to deal with.

Yeah, that is extremely sad and fucked up. I have my complaints about my In laws, but they have driven from 90 minutes away to babysit at 2am while we took 1 kid to the emergency room, so I basically would never question their support at all. I remember how scary the NICU was and couldn’t even imagine our parents expecting us to entertain(?) them during that. Good grief.

Wow. There has to be more to this story...

Did you have a bad relationship before this?
How did your wife react to her own parents acting this way?
Do they have some kind of special situation (ill health) that needs more attention?

I don't blame you one bit for kicking them out, sad that is what you have to deal with.

Oh yes, they haven't liked me since they first met me. First time I visited their house I went and sat with them while my wife to be was getting ready and it was stone silence when I sat down and they didnt say a word until we all got up to leave (then they took us to the Trump winery). Suffice to say the relationship has never been good, but I thought we all were just going to grit our teeth and get through it for the benefit of their daughter. I don't think they every imagined their daughter would marry a liberal yankee lawyer, and my MIL made comments to such during the engagement. Also, I think they came into the trip looking for a fight, as my MIL made a comment about how I wasn't awake to greet her when she flew in and the father was pissed we were asking if he got his covid test results before he arrived (after her brother lied about being vaccinated when he visited this summer while my wife was pregnant, we have made everyone who wants to see the kids send us a negative covid test).

She was aghast, and is still in shock I think. For a couple years she has been starting to figure out who they are as people, and the distance has been helpful in that respect, but still very shocked by their actions.

Nope, perfectly good health. I told the father what ever bourbon was open was up for grabs and to help himself to anything in the fridge to eat or drink, but apparently that wasn't what he was expecting. I will admit that the last thing I was thinking about that weekend was am I doing enough for them, between going to the hospital and doing feedings. When my neighbors invited me over for a drink one night, I asked the father if he wanted to come with me. The neighbors asked more questions about my kid in the NICU than the father did.

Yeah, that is extremely sad and fucked up. I have my complaints about my In laws, but they have driven from 90 minutes away to babysit at 2am while we took 1 kid to the emergency room, so I basically would never question their support at all. I remember how scary the NICU was and couldn’t even imagine our parents expecting us to entertain(?) them during that. Good grief.

yeah. for as much as we have issues with our in-laws I don't question that they would do the same if need be. our visit will be the Southern thing of outwardly pleasant, with plenty of things left unsaid.

My wife's dad is a self-absorbed hippie who has never wanted to be a part of her life (from the very start). She doesn't even refer to him as dad.

My wife's mom passed away before our wedding (and our having kids) from liver disease that was a result of alcoholism. She and my wife had a very close relationship. It still makes my wife sad.

The upside is I don't really have in laws. There is a lot of downside, however.

I used to think my parents had a perfect relationship, but they got divorced a year or two after I graduated from Wake. My dad was a great dad when I was growing up, but we don't talk much anymore because his new wife is a terrible, terrible person who actively keeps us away from him.

My mom is awesome and super involved in our lives (in a good way). She gets along great with my wife and my kids adore her.

So 1 out of 4.

yeah. for as much as we have issues with our in-laws I don't question that they would do the same if need be. our visit will be the Southern thing of outwardly pleasant, with plenty of things left unsaid.

Exactly as it should be.

We stopped traveling to see family over 10 years ago. We go to the same friends house pretty much every year. They have a good number of family members over and we love them, because they are not my family and not staying at my house. We will smoke turkey, deep fry a turkey and smoke two chickens. I think this year I will smoke some pork belly burnt ends for a late morning snack for the group and I always deep fry the turkey. Not traveling to see family was the best decision we made and haven’t looked back. It’s my favorite day of the year.

Digger likes Thanksgiving because his kids think the food is amazing and are so chill, turns out just high.

Man, Timmy, fuckin' A. That's some shit right there.

Makes my MIL look like a fuckin' saint in comparison.

We are in Tanglewood and I have the dark beer farts. It’s not putting my family in a festive spirit.

We are in Tanglewood and I have the dark beer farts. It’s not putting my family in a festive spirit.

I'm thinking I just need to 100% transition away from beer at this point

i realize people have their shit and trauma and whatnot but just crazy to me the way some folks choose to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back