• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson will never leave WF

Wake is a more integral part of the W-S community now than it was even when I was in school in mid-2000’s. The Innovation Corridor, new Med School buildings downtown, and sports marketing geared towards the city have been very strong. Yeah- we might be a lot of people’s second favorite ACC team but we need to be OK with that. I live in Dallas and there are a ton of people who didn’t go to SMU that embrace the school - show up for games, give money, hire grads, etc. While W-S is not the DFW market- you still have a lot of people out there who didn’t go to school who can be captured.

Not to mention we no longer have a complete pompous asshole as an AD who never socialized with the "peasants". Currie has REALLY reached out to the local community and has increased our social media and digital marketing presence immensely!
Currie and Clawson can be one hell of a combination if given some time to gel. It's already showing.

That's what I'm trying to say... If we win the ACC and end up feeling slighted, and bring back this O and can somehow improve on the D... Next year could be just as special WITH a higher starting position in the polls.

In fairness, it would be hard for the defense to get worse.

If he leaves for a place like Penn State(which I fully expect to be open due to Franklin going West), I absolutely would not begrudge him. Just dont leave for a place like VPI.
And Penn State is unique in what way?

100k fans packed into a stadium every Saturday demanding national championships.

Hundreds of thousands of fans watching every detail of the program with intense focus. Except the parts where children are being raped for years.

100k fans packed into a stadium every Saturday demanding national championships.

... and boosters demanding that Clawson replace his DC mid-season and will find him a new one who he will absolutely love. I'm probably WAY off base but I just don't see Clawson signing up for shit like this. Maybe he will. I just don't see it.

This is what NC State fans use. Our stadium is bigger. Weak Florist has 10 fans. Accepting that dumb shit is maximum LOWF.

Penn State has 76,000 undergrads. Wake Forest has a stadium 6 times it's undergrad population. Penn State would have to have a stadium over 400,000 to have the stadium prestige of Wake Forest.

And Penn State is unique in what way?

IF Penn State became open and the big current vacancies stayed the same(slim chance that happens), it would be the most appealing IMO.

LSU - Could be gone by year two if not winning enough to their "standards"
Washington and Washington State - Isolated out in the PNW
USC - He doesn't strike me as a LA kind of guy
TCU - Probably has a deal with Sonny Dykes already done
VT - Not a complete rebuild roster wise, but definitely morale wise within program.They also have fundraising issues so getting money to update facilities will not be nearly as easy as it is at Wake.

Last edited:
IMO, you only live once (YOLO) and if you are a college football coach who has had tremendous success and a big school comes calling it is hard to turn down. You don't get an opportunity much to prove yourself on the biggest possible stage, and PSU gives you that chance. They pack it with 100k every week, and can hit a big year and truly win a natty. Wake has an amazing team this year, but to say we can truly compete for a natty year in and year out is crazy talk. We can compete for bowl games every year and get to the ACCCG every now and then. Maybe hit it big (this was prob the best chance) and go undefeated once but that's extremely difficult.

I would hate to see him go, but wouldn't blame him. It's literally what these guys dream of when they begin coaching. Now, Clawson may have a different view since he's been happy here and not want that big challenge, but he would be a major outlier there, and not the norm at all.

yeah — it’s also easy for us to say “if i were clawson, i would do XYZ” but those are always useless because we aren’t clawson and we didn’t choose (and excel) at an occupation that works us 100+ hours a week with intense public scrutiny. there are probably unique motivations at play that we have no way of understanding.

IMO, you only live once (YOLO) and if you are a college football coach who has had tremendous success and a big school comes calling it is hard to turn down. You don't get an opportunity much to prove yourself on the biggest possible stage, and PSU gives you that chance. They pack it with 100k every week, and can hit a big year and truly win a natty. Wake has an amazing team this year, but to say we can truly compete for a natty year in and year out is crazy talk. We can compete for bowl games every year and get to the ACCCG every now and then. Maybe hit it big (this was prob the best chance) and go undefeated once but that's extremely difficult.

I would hate to see him go, but wouldn't blame him. It's literally what these guys dream of when they begin coaching. Now, Clawson may have a different view since he's been happy here and not want that big challenge, but he would be a major outlier there, and not the norm at all.
When did PSU last compete for a Natty?

The transfer portal has changed everything. Clemson and UNC have already lost a bucket of players. Duke probably loses 10. The high school star system is never going to be what it was. I just don't know to what degree. I think there are plenty players who hear Clawson speak and think.."I'd like to play for that guy."

The transfer portal has changed everything. Clemson and UNC have already lost a bucket of players. Duke probably loses 10. The high school star system is never going to be what it was. I just don't know to what degree. I think there are plenty players who hear Clawson speak and think.."I'd like to play for that guy."

So true and plays right into DC’s moneyball strategy. Every team needs to re-assessed annually compared to every recruiting class. Yes- I know we lost KW3- but the portal in general benefits schools like Wake more than the big boys - they can’t just collect talent that never sees the field anymore.

Dabo gives great insight to the portal in his interview this week. Hey Mr. Running back you want to be 3rd string at Clemson. The Portal Definitely lets talent spread around. Not good for big boys.

Dabo gives great insight to the portal in his interview this week. Hey Mr. Running back you want to be 3rd string at Clemson. The Portal Definitely lets talent spread around. Not good for big boys.

It makes it harder for big programs to have depth, sure. Nobody likes not getting playing time, and the transfer portal makes it easier to find somewhere where you can get playing time.

But it makes it harder for smaller programs to retain the elite talent that they end up developing from a lower recruiting ranking (see: Kenneth Walker)

True, but KWIII left for more playing time.

Back