• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

hartle is usually fine for 4ish innings. Have him be the 3rd starter and rely on your bullpen. Walter generally leaves him in the game too long for the pitcher he is right now.

I just think he's not really ready to face ACC level teams. Too much pressure. Would rather Walter had brought him along more slowly. He does not have a high percentage of pitches above 90 mph.

hartle is usually fine for 4ish innings. Have him be the 3rd starter and rely on your bullpen. Walter generally leaves him in the game too long for the pitcher he is right now.

agreed, but feels like he’d be strong in a relief role based on the same logic

I just think he's not really ready to face ACC level teams. Too much pressure. Would rather Walter had brought him along more slowly. He does not have a high percentage of pitches above 90 mph.

If you look at his starts he has mostly given up 2 or 3 runs through 4 innings. that would be pretty good for a sunday ACC starter. He definitely is ready to face ACC level teams but his role as a freshman should be more controlled. One problem is that he has had shit run support in most of his games.

We have pitched pretty well in the last 2 series outside of that one inning, and I think if Walter had gone to the pen at the beginning of the inning, it could have changed the complexion of the game.

Hartle had already given up a run on 3 consecutive WPs in that inning, IIRC...

If Hartle has a clean sheet through 4 innings, I might try to stretch it to 5.

If he has given up a couple ofvruns and they have had good bats on him for outs, I would yank him after 4. That was the case in the UNC game.

Last edited:
As I said, Hartle is a perfect mid week guy. That’s it. It’s what you do with freshman studs until they can prove themselves

Does Walter feel or have some obligation to Hartle to keep him as a weekend starter? Would we be better with a mixture of relievers? UNC went with a mixed bag for their 3rd weekend starter when they didn't have a true starter.

Of course he does lol…hes on a full ride and hyped up (all bullshit) because of his projectability as a HSer. Turns out he still throws under 90 so hes not good

Reflecting on the season so far, the "what-ifs"...

If we'd have taken 1 of the home.series vs Clemson, UVa, or FSU, not blown the 8-2 lead at ND, swept BC, and won either the tie game with Louisville or the 1 run loss at UNC, we'd be at 16 wins and tied for 1st in the division.

I know it sounds like a lot but all 4 of those games were definitely winable and really should have been won....

Last edited:
Too much, too late and too little. The baseball team has let us down every year since Walters arrived.

Atlantic

ND 15-9 (@Miami)
L'ville 16-10-1 (UVA)
FSU 15-12 (@UNC)
State 14-12 (WF)
WF 12-14-1 (@State)
Clemson 10-16 (BC)
BC 5-22 (@Clemson)

Coastal

Miami 18-9 (ND)
VT 16-9 (Duke)
UVA 16-11 (@L'ville)
Pitt 13-13 (GT)
GT 12-15 (@ Pitt)
UNC 12-15 (FSU)
Duke 10-17 (@VT)

All ACC series start Thursday this week because the ACCT starts the next Tuesday. Depending on the outcome of the series this week, WF could end up anywhere from the #6 seed to the #13 seed, and out of the ACCT. That said, to drop to the 13 seed, a lot would have to happen, including Duke sweeping VT on the road, WF getting swept at NC State, and UNC and GT winning at least one game in their series.

Also here are the pools for the ACCT:

Pool A:

#1 seed

Pool B:

#2 seed

Pool C:

#3 seed

Pool D:

#4 seed

Last edited:
Gotta win today and gotta win big. I really wish we had pulled a TAMU and cancelled this.

Back