• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Yep. It really doesn't have to be more complicated than "we're in a good spot for NCAAT, we don't need to burn our ace and risk his health by pitching him for the third time in a 12-day span."

Makes total sense. For WF to advance past pod play, they have to beat Miami. Pitching Lowder gives WF its best chance to beat the Canes. Also, as nice as an ACCT win would be, compromising Lowder in anyway for the NCAAT doesn't make sense, while pitching him once on full rest on Friday in the ACCT should position Rhett to have his best stuff for the NCAAT. Also, if WF is to go 1-1 in the ACCT, WF helps its RPI more with a win over Miami than a win over NC State.

While tomorrow seems like a tough spot for WF, would be hilarious for WF to beat State for 4th time in six days while holding our #1 pitcher out. Seems like a loss could end the Pack's NCAAT hopes.

this guys model does (same guy who said we were the favorite).

coming back to this to spend way more time on the subject than I should

he values WF as the #5 team in the country, Miami as #11 - they seem close in value. Yet he says WF's chance of winning the ACC is more than 2.5X as large as Miami's - even though WF would also have to beat NC State before beating Miami (and then winning the same two games Miami would have to win). That...does not make sense to me.

Is NC State starting their ace that pitched last Thursday against us?

Is NC State starting their ace that pitched last Thursday against us?

Nothing announced yet and not sure there will be an announcement, but one of the guys who covers them thinks it'll be their ace (Logan Whitaker).

FWIW, the other Power Conferences who have 12 or more teams, do not follow the ACC's weird pod system.

The SEC invites the top 12 teams. The top 4 seeds have a bye to the double elimination portion. The bottom 8 seeds play a single elimination game to get to the double elimination bracket.

The Big 10 and Pac 12 invite the top 8 teams. They play a double elimination tourney. This is the first year ever for a Pac 12 tournament.

The Big 12 has only 10 teams, but only the top 8 play in the tournament. They play a double elimination format.

This is the dumbest tournament configuration I've ever heard of.

he values WF as the #5 team in the country, Miami as #11 - they seem close in value. Yet he says WF's chance of winning the ACC is more than 2.5X as large as Miami's - even though WF would also have to beat NC State before beating Miami (and then winning the same two games Miami would have to win). That...does not make sense to me.

haha. i think you are correct with your detective work; the guy probably couldn't figure out the ridiculous acc tourney logic

Wait until we have lightning and rain, and the schedule gets backlogged, and we have to wait for the real games hat matter, because first we have to play the worthless exhibition games. The ones that everyone knows are worthless exhibition games.

It's because baseball is a game of "matchups !"

Walters out for today. Copy and paste from a wfu release 1 minute ago.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Wake Forest University head baseball coach Tom Walter will miss today’s game against NC State due to illness. Associate head coach Bill Cilento will serve as acting head coach.

The Deacs (39-16-1, 15-14-1 ACC), who earned the sixth seed and landed in Pool C, will take on the Wolfpack (33-19, 14-15 ACC) for the fourth time in six days as the Deacs capped off its regular season with its first ever three-game sweep in Raleigh on May 19-21.

First pitch is slated for 3 p.m. and will be live on the Regional Sports Networks. Fans can tune into an audio streaming broadcast through the Wake Forest Athletics app and follow the Demon Deacons social media accounts (@WakeBaseball) for all in-game updates and information.

Wake Forest Athletics leadership is in communication with the Atlantic Coast Conference to ensure the health and safety of all involved at the league tournament. All Demon Deacon student-athletes and other coaches will be at Truist Field for today’s game.

GT falls to Pitt, three days after wrapping a season-ending sweep over Pitt in Pittsburgh

N.C. State's starter is Justin Lawson, who's made one start this season.

N.C. State's starter is Justin Lawson, who's made one start this season.

He pitched against WF in the loss on Saturday. 2 IP 3 H 2 R 0 ER 1 BB 2 Ks . Lawson has struggled lately 7 earned runs in 10.2 May innings. JUCO transfer.

Back