• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Pilchard

Reaction score
The WF website published the 2022 schedule today: https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/schedule

Highlights:

• Deacs start the season with 11 home games and 15 of the first 16 at the Couch (of course, WF plays G'town where Coach Walter's kid plays)
  • The ACC teams that WF does NOT play are: Miami, VT, Pitt
  • WF plays home and home series against Coastal Carolina, App State, Elon, UNCG, and High Point

Looking forward to 80Deacon's supportive and optimistic takes on the baseball program.

In addition to the 2021 recruiting class that included MLB draft picks Josh Hartle and Daniel Corona, WF added transfers from Stanford, G'town, Iona, NYU, Chapman and Chipola JUCO.

Last edited:
I'll believe Wake actually accepted the JUCO when his name appears in a game box score.

I'll believe Wake actually accepted the JUCO when his name appears in a game box score.

I'm pretty sure with Baseball, a lot of these kids are paying to play. Not all get full rides. Perhaps the Juco kids only got partial schollies, or are paying full tuition.

I'm pretty sure with Baseball, a lot of these kids are paying to play. Not all get full rides. Perhaps the Juco kids only got partial schollies, or are paying full tuition.

Yep, if you have the $$$ to pay for tuition that’s all you need. Very few players get full rides with the majority of players getting 50% off coupons for tuition.

The WF website published the 2022 schedule today: https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/schedule

Highlights:

- Deacs start the season with 11 home games and 15 of the first 16 at the Couch (of course, WF plays G'town where Coach Walter's kid plays)
- The ACC teams that WF does NOT play are: Miami, VT, Pitt
- WF plays home and home series against Coastal Carolina, App State, Elon, UNCG, and High Point

Looking forward to 80Deacon's supportive and optimistic takes on the baseball program.

In addition to the 2021 recruiting class that included MLB draft picks Josh Hartle and Daniel Corona, WF added transfers from Stanford, G'town, Iona, NYU, Chapman and Chipola JUCO.

Ehhh I'll give him a pass on baseball. There's nothing to be excited about with Walter still at the helm in terms of team success. Will be fun to watch some Brock bombs though.

Plan on heading to GT when they’re in town for that series.

I'm just going in with zero expectations this year then I can't be let down. I wonder if the national writers will once again fall into the trap of ranking us preseason.

My comment has nothing to do with payment methods and everything to do with the academic side of Wake not accepting credits from JUCOs.

There are a lot of hurdles that JUCO credits need to get over before Wake will accept them. Much more difficult to get Wake academic departments to accept JUCO credits than those from four year colleges.

This guy is getting some help from Covid rules. He is coming to Wake after only one (not counting because of Covid) year in JC. Hence he will be a freshman at Wake for athletics eligibility counting. So his JUCO credits (or lack thereof) don't matter.

My comment has nothing to do with payment methods and everything to do with the academic side of Wake not accepting credits from JUCOs.

There are a lot of hurdles that JUCO credits need to get over before Wake will accept them. Much more difficult to get Wake academic departments to accept JUCO credits than those from four year colleges.

This guy is getting some help from Covid rules. He is coming to Wake after only one (not counting because of Covid) year in JC. Hence he will be a freshman at Wake for athletics eligibility counting. So his JUCO credits (or lack thereof) don't matter.

Yep. Mark Black comes in as a frosh. Based on his profile, he was highly rated in HS (Pittsburgh HS POY; Collegiate Baseball HS All-American). Here is his profile: https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/roster/mark-black/6427

As always, team looks to have lots of talent. Hasn't translated to wins lately.

Just using his situation as an opportunity to pull out my soapbox and comment on the disparate treatment Wake gives credits from the worst academic four year school versus the treatment of credits from academically rigorous JUCOs.

(Pushes soapbox back into corner.)

No excuses for this team not to be nationally relevant.

We've said that in the past but even more so true this year as this team has considerably more on paper talent

There was a time in the late 90s/early 00s when Wake didn’t take juco credits, but we still had a ton of juco transfer college baseball players.

season starts in 10 days. I have zero expectations for this team, but will be watching and hoping for the best.

WF picked to finish 6th out of 7 in the preseason ACC coaches poll. Then again, WF was hugely undervalued in the ACC preseason football and basketball polls.

https://theacc.com/news/2022/2/3/florida-state-selected-as-acc-baseball-preseason-favorite.aspx

The poll results:

Overall Champion
Florida State

Atlantic Division
1. Florida State (8) - 88
2. NC State (1) - 76
3. Notre Dame (3) - 70
4. Louisville (2) - 64
5. Clemson - 43
6. Wake Forest - 35
7. Boston College - 16

Coastal Division
1. Georgia Tech (8) - 91
2. Virginia (5) - 77
3. Miami (1) - 71
4. Duke - 60
5. North Carolina - 44
6. Virginia Tech - 25
7. Pitt - 24

WF's Brock Wilken has been a frequent choice as the ACC preseason POY.

In Baseball America's preseason national top 25, there are 5 ranked ACC teams:

4. ND
5. UVA
12. FSU
16 NC State
21. GT

Keep in mind that WF was ranked to in last year's BA preseason poll, and WF failed to qualify for the ACC tournament.

Last edited:
Back