• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Which year did Danny have Wake at RPI of 6?

You’re right but at the end of the day no one cares about the regular season. They remember how you did in the postseason. We didn’t even make the ACC semis and we didn’t even make the championship game (or 2 games) of the regional (which we didn’t host).

Couldn't believe this quote from Walter after the UM loss.

“(In a) Game of bullpens, we like our chances in those games and we came out on the wrong side of both of those games this weekend"

We would have been Omaha bound had Adler played up to his hype. We were literally one ace reliever/closer away from being a top-10 team.

I don't mean that post to single Adler out...But it is what it is. His disappearance and underperformance greatly harmed our postseason chances. He was touted as an ace closer coming into the season.

Even if we had been #16, we would have still played roughly the same caliber of teams we just shit the bed against. It would’ve made no difference whatsoever. Walter cannot win big games and this program is spinning wheels until he is gone.

100% agree. Just saying that hosting and a #1 seed are at least a feather in the cap. We didn’t even get those.

L'ville just coughed up a 7-3 lead to Michigan in the regional championship game. The Wolverines now lead the Cards 8-7 in the 6th.

We would have been Omaha bound had Adler played up to his hype. We were literally one ace reliever/closer away from being a top-10 team.

If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle also! Problem is we had no late innings person we could bring in who ANYBODY believed in, thus we blew numerous ACC late inning games and this one against MD. I blame the ill-advised and highly touted pitching lab!

Seems like a sports psychology lab is just as/more important than a pitching lab. Does Wake provide sports psychology services to our athletes? Could be a huge advantage in sports like golf, tennis, baseball, etc. QBs too.

i think these here OGBOARDS are great for the mental side of the game

I'm about to watch MD and UConn battle for the spot that should have been Wake's. I'll soon see if either of these teams have any decent pitchers left after going 11 innings last night.

Regardless of who the head coach is, NIL will make or break Wake's future as a viable, competitive baseball program.
MAKE- With baseball rosters consisting of a number of partial scholarships, meaning a recruit to a private like Wake could be on the hook for $25K or so in tuition, it's been a struggle for us to compete with cheaper, and in some cases tradition rich public schools who can offer a player a scholarship at a quarter of the cost of what we require. Now with the promise of NIL $$, a Wake player no longer has to make up the difference in the cost of attendance.
BREAK- Wake can't find enough NIL $$ dedicated to the baseball program to overcome the private tuition gap, or regardless of our ability to cover tuition with NIL, it's not enough to compete with in particular public universities with jock-sniffing fan bases who are willing to throw bank at 17 y/o kids. (But that will be the case in all sports, not just baseball).

Me personally, I don't see Wake competing long-term in sports at the current level within 5-10 years, assuming it continues along its path to a professional model, albeit one with no salary cap and no restriction on player movement. And I'm fine with that; 100% on board with these kids getting as much as they can out of the system, but I don't see it having the emotional appeal that being a longtime fan and alumni has given me over the years.

Regardless of who the head coach is, NIL will make or break Wake's future as a viable, competitive baseball program.
MAKE- With baseball rosters consisting of a number of partial scholarships, meaning a recruit to a private like Wake could be on the hook for $25K or so in tuition, it's been a struggle for us to compete with cheaper, and in some cases tradition rich public schools who can offer a player a scholarship at a quarter of the cost of what we require. Now with the promise of NIL $$, a Wake player no longer has to make up the difference in the cost of attendance.
BREAK- Wake can't find enough NIL $$ dedicated to the baseball program to overcome the private tuition gap, or regardless of our ability to cover tuition with NIL, it's not enough to compete with in particular public universities with jock-sniffing fan bases who are willing to throw bank at 17 y/o kids. (But that will be the case in all sports, not just baseball).

Me personally, I don't see Wake competing long-term in sports at the current level within 5-10 years, assuming it continues along its path to a professional model, albeit one with no salary cap and no restriction on player movement. And I'm fine with that; 100% on board with these kids getting as much as they can out of the system, but I don't see it having the emotional appeal that being a longtime fan and alumni has given me over the years.

I’m pretty sure players aren’t entirely on the hook for the remainder of their tuition.

Maryland off to a terrible start from their pitching staff. Two easy outs. Four straight walks. Change pitchers. HBP. Grand slam.

i don't watch a ton of college baseball... but is it normal to have this many grand slams? it seems like every couple of days there's a grand slam in a wake game or a game of wake-interest

i don't watch a ton of college baseball... but is it normal to have this many grand slams? it seems like every couple of days there's a grand slam in a wake game or a game of wake-interest

Lots of bad pitching that puts a lot of batters on base from walks. Aluminum bats. Strength training for players.

Small ballparks. E.g. Couch is 300 and 310 down the lines. Maryland baseball stadium is 320 and 325.

Back